OK should I have done this.

This is a discussion on OK should I have done this. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really get upset with my cable provider. They always are raising rates and their billing practices are unfair in my opinion. I have been ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I really get upset with my cable provider. They always are raising rates and their billing practices are unfair in my opinion. I have been billed a late fee onservices that were billed a month in advance!
    Besides that they do have a "No Weapons of any kind" sign on their door at the office. The way my monthly budget works out I sometimes stop at the office to pay my bill in person to avoid their "Your not a month early with the payment so we charge you" fee.
    Anyways the other thing that annoys me is I can send a check in to pay my bill and they assume it's from me. But I stop in to pay in person and they require ID before they accept my check. I really appreciate the fact that they are making sure that some imposter doesn't come in and pay my bill behind my back!

So last week I stopped to pay the bill, and the girl ask for ID so I take out my CPL instead of my drivers license. It's a government issued photo ID right? I was waiting to see what her response was. ( I get into these "moods sometimes.) I figure if she isn't going to accept the ID I'm asking to speak to the supervisor.
    She stares at it for a minute then finally proceeds to print my receipt.
    I also asked her why my bill went up from previous month and she was able to get me into a slightly less expensive plan. She was actually helpfull at this point.

The only thing I wished I'd said when I handed her the CPL was "Relax, your now safer, since I am here" I didn't say it, and I wasn't carrying anyways since I know its a no gun zone.
    Maybe I should print out some of those business cards meant to be handed to "no gun" businesses and give her one next time

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    should I have done this?
    The only thing I wished I'd said when I handed her the CPL was "Relax, your now safer, since I am here" I didn't say it, and I wasn't carrying anyways since I know its a no gun zone.
    No
    Maybe I should print out some of those business cards meant to be handed to "no gun" businesses and give her one next time
    Don't bother, your giving them money arn't you? Kind of a moot point then?

Honestly I would not have shown my CHL. I would have not revealed at all that I am carrying or have ever carried.

IMO unless you are on the floor dying from a heart attack drawing attention to yourself is never a good idea for any reason.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    ...The only thing I wished I'd said when I handed her the CPL was "Relax, your now safer, since I am here"

To answer the question...NO you shouldn't done that.

What was the point of showing her your CPL? Some could make the claim that you were trying to intimidate here into helping you blah blah blah.

Your carrying, or being able to carry a gun is nobody's dang business, keep it that way.

In my opinion no. Not so long as you have another form of ID you could show her.

Your carrying, or being able to carry a gun is nobody's dang business, keep it that way.
    My sentiments exactly.
    Last edited by JD; March 8th, 2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Corrected my spelling...oops.

No - I agree with what others are saying here - you're only asking for trouble broadcasting the fact that you carry. It's why even though I'm all for the 2nd amendment, I don't think "open carry" is a good idea, tactically, for a civilian anyhow.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

If you're really that unhappy with their service, you could try doing what we did. Cancel it, and get an antenna. The local stations broadcast over-the-air for free still, you know. In HD even. Free HD! Plus, you would never have to hand anybody anything!

I haven't paid for TV in over a year now and I couldn't be happier. Watched the superbowl in HD, and all the major network programming as well.

Administrator
    No, of course you should not have done that!
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Just another saying, not a good choice.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    what made her safer?...the fact that you didnt threaten to shoot her?..

and in many places a concealed permit/license is not considered a valid form of id...

Ted, I think a lesson is learned here.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Now you understand why they have a "no weapons" sign.
    If it's concealed, they won't know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Pretty presumptuous IMO. More of that sheepdog stuff.

Not only that, maybe she was carrying? Or wished she could at work? As a cc'er, I'd have been annoyed at the pointless statement.

I do understand saying stuff when so annoyed at a company. But it wasnt her fault. AND...as a cc'er, we are supposed to be exercising better than average judgement and restraint.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    what made her safer?...the fact that you didnt threaten to shoot her?..

and in many places a concealed permit/license is not considered a valid form of id...
    Well, in Oklahoma, just as a point of interest: If you are applying for a new drivers license you need 2 forms of ID. On the wall in the drivers license application office is a list of acceptable IDs, one of which is:

Oklahoma gun license

So it is OK with the state, anyway...
    Don't know about others.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

GM
    IMO it was totally wrong to show her your CPL. I believe that you could have gotten in big trouble for doing something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

To answer the question...NO you shouldn't done that.

What was the point of showing her your CPL? Some could make the claim that you were trying to intimidate here into helping you blah blah blah.

That is exactly what could have happened!

If you do not like your ISP just change it or get a parabolic antenna, which you will be able to use for radio, television and data communications
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Have you ever considered online banking and bill paying? Your payment gets processed quickly, no postage, easy to schedule so you can avoid late fees, etc. Just pay attention to the usual internet security (https, not http for the web page, or look for the padlock in the lower right corner of the page) and keep your computer virus-clean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links