M&P For concealed carry ???

This is a discussion on M&P For concealed carry ??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C Bennett ok simple reason for those nervous people..WHY does it make you nervous..if the trigger does not get puller it cant ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M&P For concealed carry ???

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    ok simple reason for those nervous people..WHY does it make you nervous..if the trigger does not get puller it cant go off ..if its in a proper CC holster that covers trigger..how is it going to go off...what makes you nervous about this? IF these things make you so nervous why not order the M&P with the additional nervous person safety? you can get it on the M&P.
    Mine doesn't have the manual safety; only the magazine safety. It makes me nervous because I'm sticking the pistol in a holster that's just behind my right hip and as much as I'm pretty sure there's nothing obstructing that could get caught in the trigger guard, it's mostly out of my line of sight.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being extra cautious when handling firearms, do you? Do you solely rely on the safety of the pistol's mechanics or do you still take extra care to practice responsible handling of the firearm? Don't you have a moment when holstering the pistol that it's NOT pointed in a safe direction (i.e. somewhat aimed at that large femoral artery in your leg)?

I think it's foolish to mock the safety concerns of others when dealing with lethal instruments.

2. Remove Ads

To each his preference. In my mind it comes down to the extra safety not hindering my response time in any way. Why not have it I guess is the question for me. My gun is in my pants a whole lot more than being used in a SD situation and when it is there I'm doubly confident its not going to blow my ass off. And whenever it needs to be used I can use it just as quickly and as effectively because muscle memory automatically knocks the simple safety down as it is being moved from holster to Ready 1 position. First shot is just as fast with or without that safety.

Quote Originally Posted by lifehertz View Post
    Mine doesn't have the manual safety; only the magazine safety. It makes me nervous because I'm sticking the pistol in a holster that's just behind my right hip
    Easy: pop the mag when holstering.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    Easy: pop the mag when holstering.
    As I said earlier in the thread, I do. Not all M&Ps have the magazine safety; not all of them have the thumb safety. My main point in making that particular post was to admonish the quoted poster for haranguing others about safety practices.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    To each his preference. In my mind it comes down to the extra safety not hindering my response time in any way. Why not have it I guess is the question for me. My gun is in my pants a whole lot more than being used in a SD situation and when it is there I'm doubly confident its not going to blow my ass off. And whenever it needs to be used I can use it just as quickly and as effectively because muscle memory automatically knocks the simple safety down as it is being moved from holster to Ready 1 position. First shot is just as fast with or without that safety.
    I chose the 9c without the external safety because I plan on adding CT grips to it in the future. From what I read, you cannot add CT grips (without cutting/modifying the external safety).

VIP Member
    Tangent, but

BTW -- if adding CT grips, be sure to follow the instructions when cleaning your gun. Don't want to blow $200-$300.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    And make darn sure you're careful when inserting it into the holster.

I had the same concerns the OP does when I first got my M&P40c and still do not use it as a carry piece. I much prefer the 1911 style and it's many safeties as my carry piece.
    yup 100% this is the ONLY time I take extra special care to look and make sure noting is in the holster mouth no drawstrings, debris of any kind that could get into the trigger while pushing it down to holster..thats about the only real hazard I can think of is on re-holstereing/holstering.

Mine doesn't have the manual safety; only the magazine safety. It makes me nervous because I'm sticking the pistol in a holster that's just behind my right hip and as much as I'm pretty sure there's nothing obstructing that could get caught in the trigger guard, it's mostly out of my line of sight.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being extra cautious when handling firearms, do you? Do you solely rely on the safety of the pistol's mechanics or do you still take extra care to practice responsible handling of the firearm? Don't you have a moment when holstering the pistol that it's NOT pointed in a safe direction (i.e. somewhat aimed at that large femoral artery in your leg)?

I think it's foolish to mock the safety concerns of others when dealing with lethal instruments.

I holster the gun first then put the rig on...saves having to worry about that since the gun is already in the holster. Ive never except while shooting at the range put the gun in after the holster is on..as you said that way when it goes in I dont even have the holster on my body then I put the gun in get it to where I want on my belt(IWB) and then cinch everything up ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    yup. on my Ruger SR9 I always find myself flicking down a thumb safety thats not even on(I dont use it its always in the ready to go position).. But every time I shoot I still get in the habit of on the draw flicking it to "ready to go" position(down)

As I said earlier in the thread, I do.
    Sorry, missed it.

I carry my M&P40 full size every day with 1 in the chamber, and I'm 100% confident in my safety.

With a quality hostler that completely shrouds the trigger, there simply isn't a way for the gun to fire on its own. Between the firing pin block, the trigger safety and the trigger shroud, this gun is as safe to its user as possible.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

and this picture is a good example for the person that was talking about being worried about putting gun in holster and it going off because its at 430(where they wear it) I just have mine like this pic all ready to go...put it on already IN holster get it situated and am ready to go. Ive never had a reason to take mine back out of holster and reinsert it..if I take it off for some reason(going to bathroom for example) I just take the whole holster off not the gun out. Oh and BTW I love your holster this is what I wanted for the Ruger SR9 I got but apparently no one was making it at the time . Nice comfortable quick on off holster.

I have carried my M&P 40 full size 40 in a CTAC since the original M&P was released. I had the same concens as you do. Like the guys on this forum told me:
    "Keep your booger picker off the bang switch and there will be no problems."
    It has made me a much safer gun handler. Kinda like playing with a rattlesnake, you know it is very capable of causing great harm, so you are very careful handling it, at all times.
    D

Well after reading this thread I have been carrying with one in the pipe. I appreciate all the responses and have since given it a shot. I was using a Don Hume IWB holster but got my crossbreed ST in yesterday. As an update in the past three days I've been carrying with one chambered I am yet to blow off my right butt cheek yet. Hopefully that continues. I try to be very careful and cautious since I am carrying a deadly tool.

This is how I carry my M&P 9C with CT lasergrips & no safety daily with one ALWAYS in the pipe in a CTAC holster. Never a worry.

IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links