How do you store the gun in the car? - Page 2

How do you store the gun in the car?

This is a discussion on How do you store the gun in the car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like others have said a hidden, cabled, and locked gun safe is your best option. For me I tend to wear a somewhat large tuckable ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you store the gun in the car?

Like others have said a hidden, cabled, and locked gun safe is your best option. For me I tend to wear a somewhat large tuckable IWB Kholster which while comfortable is very difficult to remove and put back on gracefully from inside a vehicle or standing next to a vehicle in a public parking lot, so I choose to remove my gun only and lock it up. To each their own that way.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

I use a RAC Lock. Works great and cant be removed without extensive damage to my vehicles. Even if it was to be cut out of the car, the BG would then have to cut through the lock without damaging the gun. Hard to accomplish and more secure than a cable in my opinion.

I also use one on the wall next to my bed for my HD shotgun. Quick, easy, and very secure IMO.

Only $30 for the single gun unit, they have multi gun units as well.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Check local laws. IMO, leaving a firearm in an automobile is a very bad idea. Cars get stolen and broken into all of the time. There are lock boxes on the market to leave hand guns in, but those have limited security. If they take the whole car, they can break into the strong box at their leisure, later on.

If they just prowl the car and happen to have a set of bolt cutters with them, which many do, ditto. They can break into the strong box later, in privacy.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Check local laws. IMO, leaving a firearm in an automobile is a very bad idea. Cars get stolen and broken into all of the time. There are lock boxes on the market to leave hand guns in, but those have limited security. If they take the whole car, they can break into the strong box at their leisure, later on.

If they just prowl the car and happen to have a set of bolt cutters with them, which many do, ditto. They can break into the strong box later, in privacy.
    All true, but your choice leaves you naked while traveling throughout your day, so there are risks taken either way you go. . .your choice.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

I keep a lockable bank safety deposit bag in the glove compartment of both vehicles for just this scenario.

When the issue comes up I remove the gun as within holster from my body while in the car.
    Place it along with spare mag, OC/CS and/or knife into the bag.
    I dump the magazine from the gun and then clear it of the chambered round. Place those in the bag too and reholster the gun to be placed into the bag.

I zip up and lock the bag removing the prior captured key and place that in my pant coin pocket or attach it to my keyring.
    Place the locked safety deposit bag into my trunk as hidden under cover of a CVS plastic bag I keep in the safety deposit bag for just such occasions. The bag is further hidden stuffed inside of a large 2-man umbrella I keep in the trunk (for emergencies).

Close lid and lock all doors, then go about my errand.
    Reverse same upon return.

Only difference though being when I go to my daughters school.
    I park off school grounds at a commercial shipping complex 20 yds. away to to do same and then walk over to her school.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

This is why I suggested the RAC lock. Take a couple secs to look at their site and I think you will see that it is a viable option that will end in a damaged vehicle and firearm if one tries to get into it. Nothing is 100% protected. However, this is inexpensive, very secure, tough as hell, can be mounted wherever you like, and is better than the glove box. Cable cutters have no advantage here. Cutting torches and many grinding wheels are needed to defeat this lock(unless someone knows something I don't). Only the most determined BG will attempt to free a weapon from this lock and in my opinion they will have wasted their time after they realize they damaged the weapon in the process. JMO here. Take a look guys, see what you think.

They have images on their site but I cant get them to post here or I would have done it.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Center of Mass safe and cable lock for me, but I will take a further look at the Rac lock.

Console Vault

When I have to leave it in a vehicle (which I avoid at all costs) I use a console vault for my Jeep and my Harley Ultra.

Auto Vault, Gun Safe, Laptop Safe, Hand Gun Safe, Gun Vault, Portable Safe, Safe Manufacturer
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Willie,

That RAC product reminds me of this old school method of same...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq,

That is clever. Never would have thought about that. Thanks for the pic.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

I use the Gun Vault in my car. I did not get the smallest one bc I like to have room for my .45 and the .380 that I carry most of the time. I travel a lot and this is a great way to protect them in the car BUT also easy to keep in my hotel room.

I keep the safe under the back seat so i don't have to de-arm behind the car in public to put in the trunk. I really like this system.

I looked again at my car (98 BMW 528) and there is no room under the front seats...... so I guess that means locking in a safe that I can secure from the trunk. The COM combo safes look pretty cool.

About the only thing I dont like about the trunk is EVERYONE watching your business as you take your gun out and lock it in the car.....

I try not to leave it in the truck, it is very rare, but when I have to, I have a little lockable gun case that is secured under the seat.
    02PSD4ME

Storing Firearms In Cars

Warning: This is a BAD IDEA~!

There are far too many eyes watching your every move, IMHO.
    Say you are fixing to enter a "NO CARRY" zone, you step from
    your vechile too place your CCW in the trunk; a perp is lurking
    nearby and see's your every move. Guess whats next~? He or
    she promptly relieves you of your firearm; and has in his/her
    possesion a "tool" to committ another felony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ala Dan View Post
    Warning: This is a BAD IDEA~!

There are far too many eyes watching your every move, IMHO.
    Say you are fixing to enter a "NO CARRY" zone, you step from
    your vechile too place your CCW in the trunk; a perp is lurking
    nearby and see's your every move. Guess whats next~? He or
    she promptly relieves you of your firearm; and has in his/her
    possesion a "tool" to committ another felony.
    Yeah, I kind of think that way too..... that is why a truck COM device worries me a bit. Of course, I guess I could lock in on the bar under the front passenger seat and put under the floor mat......

Damn, BGs sure make our lives hell......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links