How do you store the gun in the car? - Page 3

How do you store the gun in the car?

This is a discussion on How do you store the gun in the car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Warning: This is a BAD IDEA~! There are reasonable/required times to disarm and I will not go unarmed all day just because I have to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you store the gun in the car?

Warning: This is a BAD IDEA~!
    There are reasonable/required times to disarm and I will not go unarmed all day just because I have to go into the post office for five minutes in the middle of my daily schedule. There are ways to secure your firearm in your vehicle that severely reduce the ability of a BG to steal it. These options are better than tossing your weapon in the trunk/glove box and hoping for the best. I think this is the point and direction that most are trying make.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
    There are reasonable/required times to disarm and I will not go unarmed all day just because I have to go into the post office for five minutes in the middle of my daily schedule. There are ways to secure your firearm in your vehicle that severely reduce the ability of a BG to steal it. These options are better than tossing your weapon in the trunk/glove box and hoping for the best. I think this is the point and direction that most are trying make.
    I think he was saying that getting out of your car, storing your gun in your trunk was a bad idea, not storing in the car itself.

Of course, I could be wrong too!

Perhaps. I didn't read it that way. If that was his intent, I apologize. I am not trying to flame anyone. Sometimes text can be hard to interpret.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

COM's IN-CAR GUN SAFE looks the same as the Cabella "Secure It" cabled safe.

Using the RAC Gun Lock system, I am assuming you have to clear the round in the chamber before sticking the lock through the trigger guard?

Dan,

Sometimes as much is unavoidable such as when going to a courthouse or school as in my own case.
    Now I could choose to leave the house naked (unarmed) and just play my chances. Or I could gamble same toward my car not being broken into or stolen.
    Regardless of what one chooses there is a gamble.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    COM's IN-CAR GUN SAFE looks the same as the Cabella "Secure It" cabled safe.
    The new GunVault Nano Vault also looks identical.

You probably should but there is a steel post that sits behind the trigger and prevents discharge. However, if you have a solid trigger(1911's and similar) then this is not an option and should be cleared as there will be nothing to prevent discharge. There are changeable steel plates to prevent access to the anchor bolts/screws. Three plates, two with different size posts and one without a post. So it can be customized to you firearm/s. It is impossible to fire any of my handguns with that guard behind the trigger. No 1911's for me yet.

Short answer, you don't have to if you do not have solid trigger, but it would be the safest storage method regardless.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

i see your in cleveland. i went to atlantic gun and tackle and bought the lock box with security cable. i bought the box with the key lock. heard to many bad things about the combination lock. i can take this box in any of my cars and its approved for air travel to. i think the brand name is secure-it.

Quote Originally Posted by sitotis54 View Post
    Using the RAC Gun Lock system, I am assuming you have to clear the round in the chamber before sticking the lock through the trigger guard?
    Clearing the action should be done as a default toward these types of locking systems where the trigger is touched or in any way proximate to the device as this is.

Remember basic firearm safety rules are not trumped by devices.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

When neccessary my wife and I put our firearms in Secure-It locking gun safes which are tethered in the trunk. If you put your firearm in the glovebox I would recommend locking it.

KaH
    I do not have a CHL yet (not old enough) but keep one in the car because Texas passed the Motorist Protection Act which allows you to keep one in the car. I keep it either in the console BY ITSELF (so there is nothing to mess with the trigger) or, if my hubby is with me, in the glovebox in its holster. The only reason it changes if hubby is with me is because he DOES have his CHL and will need a spot to put his carry in the glovebox if we go somewhere it is not allowed (school, for instance). His bad boy doesn't fit in the glovebox...

gunbox

to all,

ALL our cars/trucks (person & farm vehicles) have a BOLTED DOWN, lockable gun-box in the trunk or behind the seat in the PUs. - i made them out of metal army ammo boxes by attaching a hasp/lock & drilling 3/8" holes in the bottom of the box & through the floor. the box's interior is padded with grey "egg-crate foam". - they are quite SECURE from thieves (unless the whole vehicle is stolen, of course).

yours, TN46

Hanging from the mirror between the fuzzy dice.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

When I have to ditch my pistol in the car, I pull it from my holster and place it inside the glove box with the safety on and lock the car. In my state we must fallow the two step rule. If the car gets broken into I have photos of it and it's serial numbers so insurance will cover it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links