How do you store the gun in the car?

This is a discussion on How do you store the gun in the car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Ohio. There are many places where you are not allowed to carry like my work, restaurants with bars, government buildings, etc. What ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I live in Ohio. There are many places where you are not allowed to carry like my work, restaurants with bars, government buildings, etc. What do the rest of you do with your gun when you have to leave it in the car. I have just been putting it in the glove box, still loaded not locked. The car doors are locked of course! Should I be emptying it? Locking it up?

Can I legally take it with me into the establishment if the magazine and ammo are left in the car?

Thanks for your feedback...

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Don't load and unload*.

Don't take it out of the holster*.

Remove the holster with the gun in it, and place it someplace it can't be seen.

Removing from the holster and/or manipulating to unload while in a car is a good way to accidentally shoot yourself in the leg, or worse.

*Obviously you may have to do this if it is required by law, for instance, if you are traveling through a state where you cannot carry.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

IMO, leaving a loaded gun in an unlocked glove compartment is a bad idea. For the common smash and grab thief, it's a free gun. I wouldn't want any of my guns to be in the hands of a criminal.

I use a center of mass safe and cable lock it to my car. It won't stop a determined thief, but it is a better deterrant than not locking up your gun.

Secure-It Handgun Safe

Using a security cable wrapped around a seat rail goi g up to a pacsafe travelsafe (Pacsafe Travelsafe 100 Anti-Theft Portable Safe, Black:Amazon:Clothing) 100 is my solution. It slides under seat out of way and sight but easily reachable. Holster and all slides in it. I am sure it could be stolen quickly with cable cutters, but that is far fetched as most car robberies are smashand grab. Stuff in plain sight, glove box, and center console go first. What crook is going to look under the seat and then have cable snippers on them and the time to steal it? Not many.

If I ever needed to unload and seperate would put gin in travelsafe and ammo in locked glove box.

Center Of Mass Central

Please use a secure locking case, such as the above.

Long story, but I have four of these all keyed the same. Great company, by the way.

I use the Secure-It Handgun Safe. I put the loaded and holstered gun into the safe, lock it, and slide it under the seat to which it is attached with the cable.

On the rare occasions that I must leave my weapon in my vehicle (very short term), I use a CoM Safe and hide the safe in the trunk of the car (can't be readily found).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just use a cable lock to the seat frame under the seat.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have a small safe bolted down in the trunk. Although I don't use it that often.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    On the rare occasions that I must leave my weapon in my vehicle (very short term), I use a CoM Safe and hide the safe in the trunk of the car (can't be readily found).
    this ^^^ minus the safe, I just lock it in the trunk.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

yep, i have one of those little safes that other people posted with a cable.
    I have the safe under the seat and cable around the seat leg and put my loaded gun+holser in there when i must. doors also locked of course
    Best to keep it loaded (unloading/loading in car is generally a bad idea), and locked up the best u can and obviously keep it and the safe out of sight.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I place mine in a locked gun case which is cabled to the frame of the back seat in my truck. The gun stays loaded as well as the magazines and both are placed in the case as well as the holster always stays on my belt. The case slides neatly under the rear seat and a folded camo blanket slides right over the case keeping it out of sight.

I bought a vinyl wrapped cable that has loops at both ends. I wrapped the cable around a seat post and through one of the loops. The other loop goes through where the cylinder goes on my revolver and then folded back onto itself and is secured with a padlock. Total cost was around 10.00 USD.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Gunsafe with cable lock under front seat. I'm afraid gun in glove box would be lost in break-in. This at least causes a little work for thief, and what thief carries bolt cutters with them.

fknipfer1

I pocket carry so 642 and Nemesis Holster go into COM safe locked and cable to frame in trunk of car. Safe is hidden under a bunch of junk so thief will need to search to find it. They don't usually have that kind of time.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links