First Few Days Report

This is a discussion on First Few Days Report within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I have had my permit for a couple of days. Anytime I was out of the house I have had it with me. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Few Days Report

First Few Days Report

Well, I have had my permit for a couple of days. Anytime I was out of the house I have had it with me. I wanted to see if anyone else's experience was similar and also ask a couple of questions, especially to those recommending the Wally World trip.

I received my permit on Weds in the early afternoon and didn't start carrying it until Thursday. I wore it to work, where I took it off (I am in the courtroom frequently and even with a CCW it is illegal to carry in a courtroom, although one of the bailiffs told me he would not care. Not sure how the judge would take it; one of the judges carries on the bench). I promptly put it back on after work for the trip home.

Anyway, that night, we went to get boxes for an upcoming move. We went to a shoe store who had boxes for us. When we first got there I felt very self concious. I thought that I was very obvious and everyone could see. However once we got to loading boxes, everything went fine. I also went to McD's that night to get dinner. I was thinking to myself that everyone around must notice but then again no one looked at me strange. It was an odd feeling to know that I was the only one armed in the entire restauraunt.

Anyway, Friday we went to the mall. We sold my wife's bicycle to a guy that my wife found on the net. As we were going to meet him, the wife actually asked if I was packing and when I said yes, she was pleased about it. That was interesting. She told me that she felt very comfortable that I was armed.

Anyway, we went to Macy's to look at belts and when we entered the alarm sounded. This is where my questions come from. One, is it normal for the alarms to go off when you enter stores. As we went into the store, the alarm sounded. We entered by the entrance that is connected to the rest of the mall. Any stories where people come up and ask if you have anything on you? Anyone had to show your permit to a security guard or something like that? I decided that if someone asked I would show my badge (yes, shock and horror, some DA's actually have real shields). I thought this would probably solve the problem.

I acted confused when the alarm went off and the girls at the makeup counter told me it was ok to enter. Oh if they only knew what I had on my hip. When we left the store, the alarm didn't go off. I didn't run into any more difficulties for the rest of the day. Not everywhere has alarms but a lot of places do. Any experience dealing with them?

Beyond that the first few days have gone well. I am starting to get used to the weight and experience of having my weapon by my side. Any tips out there for alarms or feeling more comfortable would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    It was an odd feeling to know that I was the only one armed in the entire restauraunt.
    Probably true but - as we say, ''concealed is concealed" Ya just never know, legal or otherwise!

I have to think the alarm was close to coincidence and it was also I imagine just a system for catching ''unswiped'' merchandise. I had one go off when I left a WW long ago - one of my items had not been neutralized - no probs once receipt shown.

I used to almost expect an alarm going off when entering a store - but unless an actual metal detector - it's all but unlikely. (I am pretty sure a metal detector has to enclose you all around, well on three sides anyways).

How to react? Noncholance - in a word. If the establishment is not legally barring carry of a firearm then the deal is - you are a law-abiding legally carrying citizen - indulging your right. If challenged again - no problem and I think it is important not to feel the ''underling'' because of carry, tho it is easy to have that sorta guilt feeling early on!

Carry with responsibility but also - with pride. You are a good guy - who is able to do something about his own protection. Revel in that.

Give this all another very few weeks and you'll feel unbelievably more confident and less self-conscious - believe me.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

First congrats on getting your permit. In order to CCW you need 3 things.
    1 - proper gun belt
    2 - proper holster
    3 - proper mind set

When you first start carring you will feel like everyone has x ray vision and can see your piece. That will pass. #'s 1 & 2 are very important as they will make it "comfertable" and aslo keep printing to a minimum. Most important rule is don't fuss with your wepon, don't keep checking to make sure its still there (you will want to do this for a while) and don't keep your hand or arm on it tring to keep it even more hidden as thses things will draw more attention to you.
    Welcome to the world of CCWing, be safe.
    G man

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    A couple of comments about your post. These are simply my opinions.

The baliff's do not make the laws nor will their opinion count if a judge or other LEO "makes" you with a firearm.

The "fidget factor" will become less and less. You will(even if it is subconciously)rearrange your clothing. Try not to. You will pat or otherwise want a quick feel of your weapon. Try not to. As you pass by a full length mirror or a large store window,you will slow down or even stop just to get a glimpse of your reflection, just to see if you can see you know what. Try not to.

You will feel like your in a fish bowl with everybody else's nose pressed against it. Try not to. You will hear your leather holster squeek so loud it will almost deffin you. It really wont.

If someone is looking at your waist,check your fly, or to see if you got toilet paper hangin' out the back of your pants. If leather is squeeking it's probably your shoes,or at least thats what the average person will think.

Bottom line is,nobody looks,nobody sees,nobody hears,NOBODY CARES. We CC folks are just another person in the crowd. As you carry more and more you will be less and less aware that you have a weapon at your side.

But you will(should) become more and more aware of your surroundings. This will be part of your continued training. Situational awearness. Constantly looking constantly sizeing up the individuals,and your"closer" environment. The stuff that goes on within 30(or so) yards around you.

Entertain alot of "what if" kinda thoughts. Come up with solutions for the potential problem,if not right then,at the end of your day.

Get your wife involved in the process of your carring. Let her know when you are and when your not. If your like me I never have to worry about explaining why I'm not. Even if she does not/will not carry,get her involved in your training process just so she will understand what you are going thru for her as well as yourself. Also make sure she is heavily envolved in the "what if" sorta stuff. Most likely if S does HTF she will be involved in some way.

My wife does not carry a firearm but every time i add something new to my gadgets or training,I'm quick to show her or demonstrate the procedure to her. She goes to the range or club to witness my training first hand. I feel that this gives her confidence in what I am able to do.(but will not necessarily do) My wife is heavily envolved in the "what if" sorta stuff and hands on training in and on our property.(home invasion,intruder,assault,etc.) Also we train together (and separtely) for car jackin' sorta stuff.

BADGE ?? I don't carry a badge(but carried a Federal (sorta) badge 30 years ago). If you have the right to carry one,SHOW IT FIRST. (This except them POS CC badges.) LEO or DA,no matter,it will help tame a stressful situation. Be very ready to hold it up high and state."DA,DA". This remembering that the DA badge does not make it ok to have a concealed weapon,the permit does.

Alarms ??? Them GD alarms go off everytime I leave Home Depot. No matter what I bought,no matter how I paid,or no matter how I'm dressed, and what weapon I'm carring. I've done nothing wrong,I have my receipt,I keep walking.

These are my opinions on your questions and concerns. Others may/will differ. Sorry to dump all this on you but have been wanting to tell my opinion to new CCW'ers for awhile. You just got unlucky today. Good luck ----------

Administrator
    The mall store door theft alarms are not metal detectors.

They are not walk through Airport Type Metal Detectors. Nope.

If they were they would be going off every time any customer walked in with a large bunch of keys or whatever.

Those gates that you need to pass through should not ever be tripped by a handgun.

They are RFID tag & magnetic strip readers intended to catch stolen non-deactivated tagged ~ (or still tagged) merchandise going out of the store. They are not to catch metallic items going into the location.

The alarm going off likely had nothing to do with your handgun at all.

Probably just an unhappy coincidence for you.

I go through them all the time (hundreds of times actually) & never had any problem.

And that would be with either a full size SIG or an all steel Colt Combat Commander.

It's possible that another item that you bought at a different store tripped it...or it was not you at all but, possibly at another store entrance or exit.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have been carrying about a month now and still feel a little uncomfortable while carrying. Now unfortunately I can not carry all the time. I work in a hospital and weapons are a no no at work. I have to change into scrubs when I get their so I do not carry when I leave the house for work. Carrying for me is a part time deal so I think it will take me a little longer to get adjusted.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    i found that if you carry full time even in to weeks iv become more used to it so much i was doing yard work and my 70 year old land lady came up n spoted my sigma shirt had ridden up and it was showing a little she asked about it and i told her i was legal we talked for about twenty minutes about it come to find out he husband has been carrying a thirty eight since korea she said in the trailer park with mostly older folks she feels safer that her husband and i are armed since older folks tend to be victims more offten

VIP Member
    If department stores did have metal detectors on their doors, I probably would have set them off more before I started carrying. Because of the extra equipment I now carry - Sig P239 & spare mag and Kel-Tec P32 and extra mag, I have trimmed down some of the other things I used to carry. I used to carry 2 keyrings with 8 keys on one and 12 on the other. I used to carry 2 knives - Cold Steel 5" Voyager and a Kershaw Storm II (stainless steel handles and a 3.5" stainless steel blade and weighs just a bit more then my Kel-Tec). At that time the belt I wore had a rather large steel buckle. And I have been known to wear cowboy boots that have steel supports in the arch. Its a wonder that I wasn't magnetic. Now besides the Sig and Kel-Tec I carry one keyring with 6 keys, a Beretta skeletonized Airlight knife with Zytel handle (weights less than 2 oz.), and I wear a mechanics belt that has a leather covered thin metal plate that has two prongs sticking out to catch the holes in the belt. I haven't worn the cowboy boots lately.

Fortunately for us those metal detectors would go crazy with people going in and out carrying large amounts of change or with pins in their legs so they don't have them. Besides if they had them there would have to be a warning sign like the airport has for people with pacemakers or plates in their heads, etc.

Anyway as has been said it was just a coincidence. If you had not had the pistol you would have thought nothing of it if you even noticed it at all. Keep carrying and it gets easier everyday to use that energy that was worrying about being spotted as energy to use in observing the situations around you.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    You might have a electronic tag on your clothes that was not demagnetized. it happens sometimes. might want to see if it happens with a certian pair of pants or other clothing.
    Most people are in cond. white and would not notice you open carrying a gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for the information. I thought maybe it was a coincidence but then again I can't think of a time I set off an alarm going in before. The only thing that was different about the other day was the fact that I was carrying.

Thanks again. This site is a great place for information and advice.

VIP Member
    As mentioned the alarm most likely went off because of an active tag on your clothes or someone near you. No problem.

Carry around the house and anywhere else you can. Maybe you have already done this, but also have your wife watch you as you are carrying around the house. She knows where the gun is and will be able to tell you if you are printing or showing. Get in and out of your vehicles, bend down to pick up stuff and everything you would normally do. Your wife will be able to let you know if anything is showing and you can remedy the situation. Also have her check the location of your spare magazine/speed loader to ensure that isn't showing either. That would tend to give away that you have a gun.

After a time you will "forget" about your gun. You won't forget it, you just won't think about it much.

Best,
    -Scott-

Administrator
    That WOULD be a bit of a FREAK OUT....being brand new to concealed carry & walking into a crowded mall shop and having all those warning/ALARM bells go off just by coincidence.

That would shake up a newbie packer for sure.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

it sure would freak me out. And like him i really expected alarms to go off or to be approached by security or have a old lady scream"he's got a gun!!"
    Gets easier, but man its true about wanting to check yourself and look in mirrors. Going on a month and still catch myself doing it subconciously.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Here's something to remember. If you act normal, people treat you normal. Just as babies and kids can tell if their paents are upset or excitied about something. You act nervious and people pick up on that. You could take several guys and wheel a towed cannon though the mall, as long as you acted normal and like it was no big deal. You would not get too much reaction out of people. Same thing , they start looking around to see who's watching, pretty soon every one is watching.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Man, talk about a trial by fire! That was definately old Murphy in action. As other veterans have eluded to, the only cure for the newby nerves, is to just keep carrying. If you really start carrying all the time, everywhere, after the first six months you'll feel the same way except it will be when you're not packin'. You'll be pattin' your hip because your sidearm ISN'T THERE, (did I drop it!). But the secret to getting there is having good gear in the first place. You're not gonna carry all the time if you have a belt/holster/pistol rig that isn't comfortable and safe. Find a mode of carry that works for your situation, and then invest in the highest quality rig that you can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links