Packing to Handgunlaw: making a switch

This is a discussion on Packing to Handgunlaw: making a switch within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This caught my eye today. Its a rather sad commentary of what has happened. Perhaps its for the best. http://www.Rangemaster.com/ Go to page 5 of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Closed Account Array Steelhorse's Avatar

This caught my eye today. Its a rather sad commentary of what has happened. Perhaps its for the best.

http://www.Rangemaster.com/
    Go to page 5 of the June 2006 Newsletter.

or read the cut and paste article here:

New Information Resource

In the past, we have referred clients to “Packing.org” for information on state laws pertaining to handgun carry permits, state laws, reciprocity, and so forth for all fifty states. This site is no longer being updated regularly. We now recommend www.Handgunlaw.us as the primary source for this type of information. The state law for every state can be found there, along with history of carry permits in the U.S. and other useful information. If you plan to visit another state, for instance, a quick visit to this website should be on your to-do list.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Is Packing.org run privately or by a group? I can imagine that it is quite a bit of work to stay up on the various laws of all the states, cities and levels of government.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Ever since I found packing.org, I have found errors of substance there. I also see errors on handgunlaw.us as well.

All these attempts at consolidating this information are admirable, but ONLY trust your safety and freedom on the actual laws of each state/locality. Best to use these sites as "preliminary" info and then go to the referenced state-run sites to get actual text.

Closed Account Array Steelhorse's Avatar

To answer the question

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    Is Packing.org run privately or by a group? I can imagine that it is quite a bit of work to stay up on the various laws of all the states, cities and levels of government.
    The site is wholly owned and operated by Mark Soloman. He employed volunteer administrators/moderators to update changes in the various state pages.

A lot of problems that could be better addressed by Gary Slider.

Have anything to share, Gary?

Administrator

Thumbs up packing.org

packing.org is now OFF of my forum member help list.

Not too much worse than possibly outdated carry Law info.

How about the NRA/ILA site?
    Life is too short to be serious!

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Please Point Out Out Dated Info!

Please help and point out any inaccuracies or errors of substance at Handgunlaw.us.
    We want to make it as accurate as possible and I can’t know everything about every law in every state. I also agree that you should check out the info yourself. Another reason we put “You are responsible for validating your own information” right on our front page. Trust no one on the net. You have no idea who they are. That is why we give you links to the different states laws and web sites that explain their CCW laws. Again if you know of errors on Handgunlaw.us
    You can contact me by clicking on “Contact Us” at the bottom of the main page at Handgunlaw.us.

The only thing I will say about Packing.org pages at this time is what I know as fact. 90%+ of the pages at Packing.org are not being updated at this time and have not been updated for the last 8 months. I know this as I was the person who did the vast majority of work keeping Packing.org up to date.

I left Packing.org because of the foul language, Racist posts, Attacks on Posters and all the LEO Bashing. I didn’t want to be associated as an Admin with a board that allowed that in the chat area. Steve Aikens saw what was happening to the Data Base at Packing.org after I left and ask me in February to join him in developing a new Website that would supply CCW info to the Public. Handgunlaw.us was born and is paid for by the owners and receives no monetary assistance for ads etc. We do have recommended reading on the site and give links to those on Amazon and other places but do that as a service to the readers.

People ask why we do this. Steve and I are both NRA Instructors and see a huge need for up to date info of this nature. Mike Gawley of Hawaii started with a one page web site that grew and grew till Mark took it over and made a Data Base. We want to be help others find the up to date information they need to keep from breaking a law they have no idea about.

Just the other day I posted on a board about what states honor a certain states permit. The permit holders had no idea their permit was valid in 13 other states. That is why we do it.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Smile

Looks good to me Gary.

Thanks, GLV
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Assistant Administrator
    Gary - your input is invaluable - I hope more people will see what you are doing and it can become the definitive site.

I thank you very much for your great contribution. If over time you guys need some cash input I daresay the pot could be handed round to quite a wide audience.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    There are many of us that are grateful for the free (to the user) sites such as your hangunlaw and this combatcarry site. Thanks. It is much appreciated.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I'm sorry to read this about packing.org. It has been a valuable source for quite awhile. The Virginia info, at least, has remained fairly current, at least vs the VSP CC site, even though the state administrator doesn't update it very often (our laws haven't been changing, much, either in content or reciprocity). Thanks for being so generous to put such effort into pulling all that information together. I'm sure many of us are grateful for your time and energy.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I 2nd what P95 & CopperKnight said.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

DC Founder
    Putting up a website such as packing.org or handgunlaw.us is an enormous task. Keeping them up to date is even bigger. I appreciate that packing.org was there when it was and I mourn it's recent demise. There is usually someone that will step up to the plate because they care about their fellow permitholders and others in our fight to defend, expand and support concealed carry in the U.S. It sounds like Handgunlaw.us has stepped up to that plate to fill the void and we hope all of our members support their efforts.

Tim Schmidt at Concealed Carry Magazine and the US Concealed Carry Association is another that plays an important part in supporting permitholders and concealed carry, in general. They, too, deserve your support.

CombatCarry.com, is also a part of these efforts and, hopefully, we will remain so for a long time to come. I believe Steve, Gary and Tim feel the same way as I do about providing the best information we possibly can regarding different aspects of concealed carry. We're all in this together even though we focus on our own efforts.

I wish them all well in their efforts.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I've tried unsuccessfully for months to register with the site and even have sent e-mails to mr. Solomon without success. I've seen lately where members themselves are starting to question the 'quality' of the site and that's not good.

I don't mean to 'flame' the website or personally 'blast' Mr. solomon, it's still a good sight - I just thought that I'd share my personal experience with it. I just don't visit as often and get frustrated since I can't respond or post to a thread.

I realize that it takes many hours of work and research to keep an excellent sight like THIS going.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

I myself am quite happy here thank you!
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links