Interstate Travel...wish me luck

This is a discussion on Interstate Travel...wish me luck within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, due to a little bit of a family emergency, I'm going to be flying to Texas and then driving may daughter back to Vermont. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interstate Travel...wish me luck

Question Interstate Travel...wish me luck

So, due to a little bit of a family emergency, I'm going to be flying to Texas and then driving may daughter back to Vermont. I'm definitely going to CC on the trip. I think I'm pretty pepaired for the airlines and traveling by car. Here's a quick checklist I've what I've done to make sure I travel safely and legally.

I have non-res permits from New Hampshire, Maine, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. Those should allow me to CC while traveling through every state between Texas and Vermont..EXCEPT New York.

I bought a new hard-sided, lockable pistol case for the airport and traveling through New York

I have printed copies of the transporting firearms regulations from the TSA, United Airlines, each state I'm traveling through, and U.S. Code 926A Interstate Transportation of Firearms.

I am not carrying more that 11 pounds of ammo, and the ammo I am bringing will be in the original manufacturers box....except when CC'ing of course.

What do you think? Am I missing anything obvious?

I believe the best social program is a JOB

2. Remove Ads

While traveling through NY I would recommend keeping the lockable gun case in the trunk of the car versus in the automobile itself. Sounds like you should be good-to-go. Good luck and safe travels!

Gun Rights Report
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Administrator
    Dont forget socks, underwear and your toothbrush.
    "Just blame Sixto"

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Dont forget socks, underwear and your toothbrush.
    And what about the ammo?

Good luck on your trip!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Be careful driving through OH, you must have your gun on your side at ALL times while driving through OH if you pass by there! Keep Safe and Good Luck!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

sounds good. i have never had a problem. just make sure you know the state laws, specifically whether or not u need to notify the police officer.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

What about Mass?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Looks like you have it covered, glad I don't travel much any more. Stay safe.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I'd say that you're pretty thorough...have a great trip.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!

Oh, and none of this...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Retsupt....how long had you been waiting for an excuse to use the smilies mooning form the backseat???? LMAO
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I note an earlier reply regarding Ohio that is incorrect. I suggest you go to handgunlaw.us for complete information.

In summary, if you have a CHL recognized by Ohio, you have three options for transporting a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle:

1. The loaded handgun is in a holster secured on your person
    2. The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper , snap, or buckle, which lid, cover or closing mecahnism must be opened for the person to gain access to the handgun, or
    3. The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartmentor consol, or in a case that is locked.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsmaritime View Post
    I note an earlier reply regarding Ohio that is incorrect. I suggest you go to handgunlaw.us for complete information.

In summary, if you have a CHL recognized by Ohio, you have three options for transporting a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle:

1. The loaded handgun is in a holster secured on your person
    2. The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper , snap, or buckle, which lid, cover or closing mecahnism must be opened for the person to gain access to the handgun, or
    3. The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartmentor consol, or in a case that is locked.
    beat me to it.

Have a safe trip
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If your route includes rte-81 you will also have to go through Maryland. Not a very gun friendly state.

OMO

bosco

Watch out for MD & NJ.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Well, I made it back in one piece with no troubles at all. I was a little nervous when I went to the airport when I declared a I had a firearm in my suitcase. The lady next to me gave me a look like I just said I had a turd in there. The people working the counters didn't even blink when I said it. They just asked if it was onloaded and locked in a case and was the ammo in the original box. I said yes and that was it. I was really surprised. I've had more trouble checking in my tool box in the past than I did my firearm.

The road trip home was thankfully uneventful. My SA was on full alert, expecially at those big highway rest stops, but it sure was a nice feeling knowing I had that sidearm on me.

And speaking of my sidearm. I was going to bring my Glock 23 (.40cal) with Winchester PDX ammo, but just before I hit the road I found a few boxes of Winchester Ranger 9mm in +P+ for sale, so I ended up bringing my Ruger P95 instead loaded with those instead.
    I believe the best social program is a JOB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links