How do you notify?

This is a discussion on How do you notify? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Between the sobbing, whaling, and sniffling...I manage to get out the fact that I am armed. They take pitty on me because it's hard to ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you notify?

Between the sobbing, whaling, and sniffling...I manage to get out the fact that I am armed. They take pitty on me because it's hard to watch a grown man cry.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

2. Remove Ads

I haven't had to do it yet, since I try to keep to the speed limits and other traffic laws, just because I don't want an interaction.

If needed, I would hand the DL and the CCW to the officer and advise of my carry status, which isn't always on my hip while driving because of work or where I might be going.

I interact with LEOs in a non-official capacity periodically and see no need to inform them of my carry status.

Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    After my traffic stop the other day, it got me thinking about this. What do you say when you "notify" an officer during a traffic stop?
    I don't ! We aren't required to. IF they ask, we inform them .. that's it. No big deal.

"Here is my license and here is my CWP. The law requires me to inform you that I am carrying a concealed weapon."

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by futinshool View Post
    I haven't had to do it yet, since I try to keep to the speed limits and other traffic laws, just because I don't want an interaction.
    +1, same here.

Since I am not required to 'inform', I plan on simply handing over both DL and CHP and saying nothing. It will be pretty obvious at that point.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I would say nothing and just hand over my LTCF (CCW in PA).

Personal Defense TV made a good point on one episode. If you're stopped by a two man car the cover officer is over to one side and may only hear the word gun in a sentence like "I have a gun" and that called out may be perceived as a threat. Keeping it low key and business like make a lot of sense, if it's not a big deal to you it may not be to them.

Simple. I don't inform. I'm always polite and usually have been let go with a warning. CT does not require you to inform the officer. I also want as little interaction with an officer as possible. He/she isn't my buddy and a CHL won't change that fact.

As I hand them my CCP and DL I say, "I have a Concealed Carry Permit and I am armed." Usually that's followed by, "OK, thanks. Have a good day." And I'm on my way. Usually the only time I get checked is in one of the goofy checkpoints they insist on setting up around here. Just never say, "I have a gun!"
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Obey all traffic rules while CC or firearm in car. End of story.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Unfortunately that is no guarantee that you won't have contact with an officer anyway. I have encountered 'checkpoints' twice before (before I CCed), where I was questioned without having broken any traffic law.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Yeah I didn't interact with an officer due to being pulled over. It was just a small accident on very icy roads and he happened to stop by when he saw us.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I've been stopped twice for stickers in the past decade, so it isn't like I have a set patter. We don't have to notify, and in both cases, the officer asked me if I was carrying before asking for DL and Reg.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

When I turned in all my CCW paperwork to the Sheriff the other day he made me pretend I was pulled over and go through the whole routine. Needless to say, I felt silly sitting in an office pretending to be in a car lol.

Did the whole, "Officer, I have an Ohio conceal carry permit. I am/am not armed. My firearm is _________. What would you like me to do?"

I was told it is not required here either, but the police and former police officers I know all recommend you hand over your carry card at the sometime you hand over your DL and to leave your weapon holstered unless specifically told otherwise. They also said that you are far more likely to get hassled by a nervous rookie than you will be with a seasoned police officer.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Is this really that complicated that it requires the question?
    I've already been stopped, as I mentioned. The question was more for curiousity of how others members handle the situation. Others may have not ever had a traffic stop before, and the information could be useful.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links