How do you notify?

This is a discussion on How do you notify? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Between the sobbing, whaling, and sniffling...I manage to get out the fact that I am armed. They take pitty on me because it's hard to ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 103

Thread: How do you notify?

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array youngda9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    746
    Between the sobbing, whaling, and sniffling...I manage to get out the fact that I am armed. They take pitty on me because it's hard to watch a grown man cry.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Member Array steelhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    335
    I haven't had to do it yet, since I try to keep to the speed limits and other traffic laws, just because I don't want an interaction.

    If needed, I would hand the DL and the CCW to the officer and advise of my carry status, which isn't always on my hip while driving because of work or where I might be going.

    I interact with LEOs in a non-official capacity periodically and see no need to inform them of my carry status.

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,411
    Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    After my traffic stop the other day, it got me thinking about this. What do you say when you "notify" an officer during a traffic stop?
    I don't ! We aren't required to. IF they ask, we inform them .. that's it. No big deal.

  5. #19
    Senior Member Array Keltyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    785
    "Here is my license and here is my CWP. The law requires me to inform you that I am carrying a concealed weapon."

  6. #20
    Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by futinshool View Post
    I haven't had to do it yet, since I try to keep to the speed limits and other traffic laws, just because I don't want an interaction.
    +1, same here.

    Since I am not required to 'inform', I plan on simply handing over both DL and CHP and saying nothing. It will be pretty obvious at that point.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

  7. #21
    Member Array msb45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    186
    I would say nothing and just hand over my LTCF (CCW in PA).

    Personal Defense TV made a good point on one episode. If you're stopped by a two man car the cover officer is over to one side and may only hear the word gun in a sentence like "I have a gun" and that called out may be perceived as a threat. Keeping it low key and business like make a lot of sense, if it's not a big deal to you it may not be to them.

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array tokerblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,266
    Simple. I don't inform. I'm always polite and usually have been let go with a warning. CT does not require you to inform the officer. I also want as little interaction with an officer as possible. He/she isn't my buddy and a CHL won't change that fact.

  9. #23
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,677
    As I hand them my CCP and DL I say, "I have a Concealed Carry Permit and I am armed." Usually that's followed by, "OK, thanks. Have a good day." And I'm on my way. Usually the only time I get checked is in one of the goofy checkpoints they insist on setting up around here. Just never say, "I have a gun!"
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  10. #24
    Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,801
    Obey all traffic rules while CC or firearm in car. End of story.

  11. #25
    Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Obey all traffic rules while CC or firearm in car. End of story.
    Unfortunately that is no guarantee that you won't have contact with an officer anyway. I have encountered 'checkpoints' twice before (before I CCed), where I was questioned without having broken any traffic law.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

  12. #26
    VIP Member Array paaiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Obey all traffic rules while CC or firearm in car. End of story.
    Yeah I didn't interact with an officer due to being pulled over. It was just a small accident on very icy roads and he happened to stop by when he saw us.
    My blog

    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

  13. #27
    Senior Member Array Tom357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    1,068
    I've been stopped twice for stickers in the past decade, so it isn't like I have a set patter. We don't have to notify, and in both cases, the officer asked me if I was carrying before asking for DL and Reg.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

  14. #28
    Member Array enk5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    200
    When I turned in all my CCW paperwork to the Sheriff the other day he made me pretend I was pulled over and go through the whole routine. Needless to say, I felt silly sitting in an office pretending to be in a car lol.

    Did the whole, "Officer, I have an Ohio conceal carry permit. I am/am not armed. My firearm is _________. What would you like me to do?"

  15. #29
    Member Array ZRow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    183
    I was told it is not required here either, but the police and former police officers I know all recommend you hand over your carry card at the sometime you hand over your DL and to leave your weapon holstered unless specifically told otherwise. They also said that you are far more likely to get hassled by a nervous rookie than you will be with a seasoned police officer.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

    I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

  16. #30
    Member Array ezenbrowntow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Is this really that complicated that it requires the question?
    I've already been stopped, as I mentioned. The question was more for curiousity of how others members handle the situation. Others may have not ever had a traffic stop before, and the information could be useful.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

    -Gordon B. Hinckley-

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ohio Notify LEO
    By SteveInWV in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: January 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM
  2. Must notify at home ?
    By mlr1m in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: March 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
  3. What would you do? Notify?
    By Guns and more in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: November 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
  4. Whom to notify?
    By past60 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
  5. Would you notify LE?
    By Trade_Sniper in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: June 1st, 2006, 08:52 AM

Search tags for this page

calling about status of ltcf
,
ccw and a traffic stop what to say to officer
,
concealed weapons during a traffic stop in sc
,
duty to notify leo of permit status in south carolina
,
how do you notify
,
south carolina ccw traffic stop
,
south carolina concealed carry notify police in stop
,
south carolina concealed carry traffic stop
,
what states have concealed carry resprosity with west virginia
,

what to do if stopped by the police in south carolina and you have concealed carry

Click on a term to search for related topics.