How do you notify?

This is a discussion on How do you notify? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Brady When asked for ID just hand him/her your DL and CWP at the same time. They'll catch the hint and if ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How do you notify?

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    When asked for ID just hand him/her your DL and CWP at the same time. They'll catch the hint and if interested they'll ask more questions.
    I've only been stopped once and this is exactly what I did. The officer just asked if I was armed and when I answered yes he asked where my gun was and that was it. Seems sensible to me not to launch into some rediculous canned speech like: "Officer I'm required by law to inform you that..blah blah blah". I would think the up front presentation of your carry permit would satisfy a state requirement to notify.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I've only been stopped once and this is exactly what I did. The officer just asked if I was armed and when I answered yes he asked where my gun was and that was it.

Seems sensible to me not to launch into some rediculous canned speech like: "Officer I'm required by law to inform you that..blah blah blah". I would think the up front presentation of your carry permit would satisfy a state requirement to notify.

Yes!!! Very true!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Just don't say the word "gun". It can induce the wrong reaction from some LEO (or their rookie partners...).

Personally, I would not make any attempt to describe the firearm (make, model, caliber, &c.). If I were in a must inform state, I would hand over DL and permit and just say something like, "Officer, I have a carry permit and I have a holstered firearm."
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

On Thanksgiviing a Drunk Driver was hitting cars and driving on the wrong side of the road. He hit 4 cars (one head-on) and a motorcycle. He had himself mostly boxed in in the traffic so I used my car to plug the only hole he could get out. He started yelling and threatening to ram my car if i didn't move it. Someone came up to his passenger window and started arguing with him. While his head was turned to them I ran over and removed him from his car through his window, placed him gingerly on the ground and allowed him to rest there for 15 minutes until the cops arived. In all of that I was carrying my P64 OWB and I didn't notify anyone at anytime. Later, when the police came over for my statement I simply stated "Don't know if you care or not but I'm carrying and can show you my permit if you want to see it". He said "Why didn't you shoot the a**hole?, I would have."

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabbler View Post
    On Thanksgiviing a Drunk Driver was hitting cars and driving on the wrong side of the road. He hit 4 cars (one head-on) and a motorcycle. He had himself mostly boxed in in the traffic so I used my car to plug the only hole he could get out. He started yelling and threatening to ram my car if i didn't move it. Someone came up to his passenger window and started arguing with him. While his head was turned to them I ran over and removed him from his car through his window, placed him gingerly on the ground and allowed him to rest there for 15 minutes until the cops arived. In all of that I was carrying my P64 OWB and I didn't notify anyone at anytime. Later, when the police came over for my statement I simply stated "Don't know if you care or not but I'm carrying and can show you my permit if you want to see it". He said "Why didn't you shoot the a**hole?, I would have."
    I can certainly appreciate the sentiment but it wasn't the brightest remark the cop could have made.

My last traffic stop, I simply said, "Oh, by the way, I have this card" and handed the officer my CCW license. Officer said thanks, looked at it, handed it back, and it was a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I've only been stopped once and this is exactly what I did. The officer just asked if I was armed and when I answered yes he asked where my gun was and that was it. Seems sensible to me not to launch into some rediculous canned speech like: "Officer I'm required by law to inform you that..blah blah blah". I would think the up front presentation of your carry permit would satisfy a state requirement to notify.
    I've been told by three LEO now that (at least in ohio) do not get anything out when pulled over before the officer approaches the car. It makes them wary if they see movement in the car before approaching.

The one time I got pulled over, I gave him my license and permit and told him I was armed. He said thanks and handed my permit back and proceeded back to his car with my license in hand. I was sure to keep my left arm resting on the door and my right hand always on the steering wheel just to keep him feeling comfortable even though he did ask me to do this.

When pulled over, keep hands on wheel and turn on dome light if at night. Turn radio down.

Sir can I see your license and registration?

Yes sir. I have a permit to carry and do have my firearm with me. How would you like me to proceed?

I do not recommend handing him your CCW permit and your license at the same time. I would tell them up front. Especially since best case I am probably going to reveal my spare magazine as I get my wallet out.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I didn't touch her!
    LOL!!! Now that was hilarious!!!
    To disarm the people - that is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
    (George Mason)

Seems sensible to me not to launch into some rediculous canned speech like: "Officer I'm required by law to inform you that..blah blah blah". I would think the up front presentation of your carry permit would satisfy a state requirement to notify.
    Simply carrying your permit doesn't necessarily mean you are armed. The law doesn't say to notify you have a permit, it says to notify that you're armed. My permit stays in my wallet along with my DL all the time. As for "canned speeches" - when interacting with a LEO, it's MUCH better to know exactly what you're going to say rather than go off the cuff and say the wrong thing. That might REALLY be "rediculous" (sic).

I dont notify
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Nothing. He has to ask me in MN. If he asks I tell him otherwise it has nothing to do with a routine traffic stop.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

my nephew is a police officer, I ask him that some question, he said that he rather now before than after the mater,if you are honest with me he would not be hard on them.

I would hand my DL and my permit to the officer and not say anything. The permit speaks for itself.

If the officer says anything, I will respond with "I am required to inform you of that."

Beyond that, there is NO NEED to say ANYTHING else.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links