How do you notify?

This is a discussion on How do you notify? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I stopped a jeep full of hunters one morning a long time back..before CCW became all the rage..The guy was nervous and stated Officer I ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How do you notify?

I stopped a jeep full of hunters one morning a long time back..before CCW became all the rage..The guy was nervous and stated Officer I want to tell you I have weapons in the car..

My response was..I'll make a deal with ya..you don't pull yours and I won't pull mine..He laughed and went on with a verbal warning..

Ok not on topic..but a favorite story of mine..

I think just handing over the DL & CCW permit without comment are the best if it's just a traffic stop and not saying anything if you don't have to, If you in a non-notify state.

If it goes on beyond a simple stop and release..you might want to let them know..LEO don't care for surprises.

Just MHO
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Just yell in a threatening manner, "I've got a GUN!"

No, seriously I just hand the officer my permit when he/she asks for license/registration and say something like, "you may also want to see this."
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

what's the point in being evasive? whether you're in a state that requires disclosure or not, it seems like it's best to simply make it clear that you're licensed to carry and you're doing so and you're happy to be compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by spar10 View Post
    what's the point in being evasive? whether you're in a state that requires disclosure or not, it seems like it's best to simply make it clear that you're licensed to carry and you're doing so and you're happy to be compliant.
    But then the LEO might TREO'ize you, like this:

(Just kidding)

-Bill

Inform

At the gun show last month, I struck up a conversation with a police sargeant about this very issue. Since he was a supervisor, he said what his force trains their LEOs to do when confronted with this situation. Paraphrasing his answers:
    "Although Florida is not a must inform state, doing so shows the officer you care about his and your safety. This also shows you are a law abiding citizen who has no plans to use it against the officer.
    Keep you hands where they can be seen, and simply state that you are armed and have a permit. Some of his officers will ask where it is and tell you not to reach for it, and some will just thank you for informing. He also said they run across this situation a lot since Florida is gun-friendly. "
    The reason I asked was I carry IWB at 3:30 and my wallet is in the pocket right near it. The city cops ride 2 to a car in certain areas, and the other one is watching thru the passenger side window. If he sees it, and yells "watch out;he's got a gun......." You can imagine what may happen next.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    The last time I got stopped was in Tampa, and I handed the officer my Michigan DL, North Carolina ID and CPL, military ID, reg, and insurance then told her that I had a pistol on my hip. She had a question about resprosity with my permit in FL as she was a reserve officer and wasn't up on all that. I gladly informed her of the information and gave her a print out of the info from teh FL atty gens page. She got the info and was cool with it. After that I IDed her as being single (IE no ring on the finger) and asked her if she was dating anyone. She said no and I asked her to dinner, which she gladly accepted. :D
    Hey Soldier:

Did you learn that technique in Boot Camp?

Capt. Art

Keeping in mind that I am in Oregon where we are not required to notify.

I don’t say anything about the glock and just hand over my documents in this order:

1. License (on top)
    2. CHL
    3. Insurance
    4. Vehicle registration

Quote Originally Posted by shorty82 View Post
    I see you're in Florida. In this state the law requires informing the LEO if you are armed when they pull you over. If you don't inform and they find out you're armed you'll be a boatload of trouble, starting with being forcibly thrown to the ground, disarmed, and handcuffed.
    Shorty:

Are you saying that FL requires notification?

That is not so.

Capt. Art

Judging by your avatar, you need to have a way to notify the officer of your reason for being 15 feet off the ground with all 4 wheels!

I have been stopped twice (both turn signal violations in Williamson county, Texas... notorious for pulling people over for any reason to look for other violations). I used the method taught in my CHL class:

Turn on inside light (if dark), get out my driver's license and CHL (in a separate double window pouch in my wallet for easy access), roll window down, hands at 10 and 2, and state as soon as the officer walks up: "Officer, I wish to inform you that I am legally armed." Then follow his directions.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    hey spar 10: Most replies are like yours--no big deal. There are some forum members, however, who are a bit more "sensitive" to their constitutional rights when it comes to issues such as this, and they are probably correct in their views in certain states and under certain circumstances. I agree with you. Here in SC, if an LEO stops you for whatever reason in his official capacity, you are required, if carrying, to present your CCWP--period--end of story. From that point on there seems to be a bit of "rub" with some forum members if the LEO then requests you to show him or hand him your firearm. Like the tone of your comment, I will do whatever the LEO wants me to specifically do if he does require additional action from me regarding my firearm; I doubt if this will happen but it is always possible for reasons that only the LEO knows at that point (ie armed robbery in area-your car and description are similar). If you are not carrying--this all becomes a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    hey spar 10: Most replies are like yours--no big deal. There are some forum members, however, who are a bit more "sensitive" to their constitutional rights when it comes to issues such as this, and they are probably correct in their views in certain states and under certain circumstances. I agree with you. Here in SC, if an LEO stops you for whatever reason in his official capacity, you are required, if carrying, to present your CCWP--period--end of story. From that point on there seems to be a bit of "rub" with some forum members if the LEO then requests you to show him or hand him your firearm. Like the tone of your comment, I will do whatever the LEO wants me to specifically do if he does require additional action from me regarding my firearm; I doubt if this will happen but it is always possible for reasons that only the LEO knows at that point (ie armed robbery in area-your car and description are similar). If you are not carrying--this all becomes a moot point.
    ahh... thank you for sharing the nuance with me, i'm still new around here and that helps me understand things better.

i guess my attitude about this - why not just tell them - comes more from me feeling like i have a higher responsibility because i have my license and may have a firearm(s) concealed somewhere on me. for me, part of that "higher responsibility" is not giving l.e.o. any reason to have to worry about me. he/she's got enough to worry about in our crazy world and i want them to know that i'm responsible and safe and don't take anything about my rights or their safety lightly. my reasons for making it clear that i'm carrying are more as a courtesy to l.e.o. to help make their job easier. i love guns and have since i was a child. my right to own a gun and carry it because i'm licensed to do so is something i don't take lightly. it's important to me and it's not something i'd ever want to give up.

If I would notify depends upon the circumstances of the stop. In Ohio, just across the river from WV, you have to notify the officer of a permit and handgun and as required by law. I would.

I was pulled over for speeding in Floyd County by an Indiana State Trooper. Indiana is not a state that requires informing, so, I chose not to do so. Was too busy holding back a very aggressive and hacked-off dog that was trying her best to thwart the ticket. He never even asked if we had weapons of any kind even though I had a Rossi .38spl tucked neatly inside the map pocket of the Honda. In retrospect, I could have just to let him know, and maybe he'd have been more lenient on the ticket. Maybe not.

I have a very good friend in Florida who is a police officer. I asked him about informing an officer. He says he really isn't concerned about the permit holder and their firearm, he is more concerned about the person who has no permit and a firearm. He tells me his training helps him spot the illegal person. He is very pro 2A and all for concealed carry with permit.

Bottom line, I will only notify if the law in that state requires me to do so.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Hello, all.
    I was broke down on the hwy in Anniston,Al. waiting for a freind of the family 2 arrive. When an Anniston police can with fashing light and asked if he could help. I instantly gave him my ccw/dl and he went on way and said have a nice day.
    That went well.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    hey spar10: I absolutley agree and appreciate your comments. Hope we can exchange replies on other issues. I really think most forum members agree on most issues and you really get to learn a lot from some members who have more experience than us on many firearm-related issues. Hope you never have to use any of this experience and that it stays on your computer and this forum. Peace brother.

In NC we are required to present our CHP AND notify the Officer that we are carrying. My only experience has been at license checks, and I have presented both my license and CHP and stated "I have a CHP and am carrying behind my right hip". In all cases, I was thanked for informing, and sent on my way.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links