Carry at a funeral home - Page 2

Carry at a funeral home

This is a discussion on Carry at a funeral home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by msb45 Last resort is an ankle holster. Slow but surer than a gun in your car. Also avoids issues with hugs. Very ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by msb45 View Post
    Last resort is an ankle holster. Slow but surer than a gun in your car. Also avoids issues with hugs.
    Very true about the last resort of all other carry methods: Not only does one or two pounds of pistol iron feel like a 10 pound ankle weight while you're lopsidedly walking down the street, but if the SHTF and you have to draw your piece, you will have to expect the BG's size 11 boot to be quickly implanted right in your nasal cavity!

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by msb45 View Post
    Last resort is an ankle holster. Slow but surer than a gun in your car. Also avoids issues with hugs.
    As would purse carry.

yeah yeah yeah...I know.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Have you thought about purse carry just for this one special event with your S&W Model 65?
    Oh dear, I thought you were in my friends list. I've got to get dressed up and now you suggest a purse too?

I'm thinking today will turn into a fashion show of sorts, several trial runs with the options I have, until I find something that works.

hudsonvalley might be onto something with the appendix carry idea, I'll give that a try as well.

When I get determined like this...
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

With a good belt and holster appendex carry will work with a loose
    sweater or top.

Good luck
    Semper Fi

Update:
    I adjusted the Smart Carry, further to the right and it seems to work well there. Far enough over to let the barrel of the gun touch the outside of my leg, and not hit bone, sitting or standing, The grip just peeks out, partially above the waistband and my gun belt makes it hard to get a grip on it. I found an older elastic belt that lays very flat, but stretches enough to allow easier access. With the Smart Carry supporting the weight of the J-frame, a gun belt isn't really needed, and the elastic one holds the grip in position quite well. With a cable knit cotton sweater long enough everything stays covered, and still allows for normal movements, sitting, standing, walking and driving.
    Unfortunately, my keys, wallet, cell phone and folding knife won't hide well enough to carry all of it on my waist. It looks like I'll end up dragging an "old bag" around with me anyway, Yuck!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Does the grip peek out of your waistband? If it does you aren't wearing it low enough according to their specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Hmm, pocket carry, would require adding inseam pockets to the slacks, and might be an alternative, not that hard to do if I can come up with a pocket holster in the next day or two.
    I like the idea of the Belly Band, it seems it would ride higher, and be able to position it off center enough to avoid that bone problem.
    Tomorrow I will be at my local Fun Shop to look into a Belly Band, pocket holster, ankle holster or even a thigh holster that I can wear with a(eek) skirt.
    I might even try making a belly band type holster with some Power Mesh fabric, wide elastic and Velcro or bra hooks, if I can't find something locally.
    I've got to make this work, my friend has lost 2 sons in less than 6 months, and she's not holding up well at all.
    And yes retsupt, it is at a funeral home, fortunately.
    You should be able to find an inexpensive Uncle Mikes pocket holster quite easily. That would do the job provided you have slacks that have pockets and preferable are pleated front.
    since you said you are built like a teenage boy from the waist down pocket carry should be good. If you have to, stuff a few tissues in the pocket letting them stick out the top, it will look like you have a pocket full of tissue, nothing suspicious at a funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    Does the grip peek out of your waistband? If it does you aren't wearing it low enough according to their specifications.
    Just barely, and it seems to move around less, with the waistband holding it closer to the body. Only about 1/2 inch of the back of the grip shows above the waistband. Enough to get my thumb behind the grip and pull upward, as I curve my fingers around the grip. It seems to make drawing easier and hold the firearm better than tucking it low enough to hide completely under the waistband.
    I'll only have to carry it this way for a few hours. As soon as I am home, I'll be swapping for the Model 65 and jeans again.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I carried my Glock 26 to my mother's funeral. in my right front pocket. No problems were found.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

I have found that if I move my Smart carry to the 11 or 1 o clock posisition and lower it untill the butt of the gun is just under the waist line of the pants its magic. I can sit and it just folds with me. I find my 26 carries quite well this way and my M38 S&W just dissapears. When drawing lean slightly back preferably pull pants with off hand if not just sweep down with strong hand and wah la. I live in a small town. Funerals, going to dinner heck going to Walmart could lead to hugging with someone we havent seen in awhile. I find appendix carry if I can untuck and smart carry appendix if I tuck work the best for me. Since I quit smoking its a little harder but that isnt the holster or the guns fault thats laziness on part of the operator.

Update:
    I adjusted the Smart Carry, further to the right and it seems to work well there. Far enough over to let the barrel of the gun touch the outside of my leg, and not hit bone, sitting or standing, The grip just peeks out, partially above the waistband and my gun belt makes it hard to get a grip on it. I found an older elastic belt that lays very flat, but stretches enough to allow easier access. With the Smart Carry supporting the weight of the J-frame, a gun belt isn't really needed, and the elastic one holds the grip in position quite well. With a cable knit cotton sweater long enough everything stays covered, and still allows for normal movements, sitting, standing, walking and driving.
    Unfortunately, my keys, wallet, cell phone and folding knife won't hide well enough to carry all of it on my waist. It looks like I'll end up dragging an "old bag" around with me anyway, Yuck!
    Whew, that was close. I mean, it's bad enough you have to wear something other than jeans and a sweatshirt...the thought of a skirt or a pocket book was just too much. If you wear something like that, we'll have to start calling you Girlygirl and not Rugergirl.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Whew, that was close. I mean, it's bad enough you have to wear something other than jeans and a sweatshirt...the thought of a skirt or a pocket book was just too much. If you wear something like that, we'll have to start calling you Girlygirl and not Rugergirl.
    LOL, my exact worries!
    At least it's only for a few hours.
    My friend and I can get together again after he is buried and I can help her work through losing 2 sons in less than 6 months.

VIP Member
    Agreed.........purse, pocket or ankle. Lot's of hugging at a funeral, I just went through all of that a couple of weeks ago. IMHO, you sure want to be especially sensitive about your CC and not have someone hug you, GASP and start asking too many questions.

Just a few weeks ago, my father died so all of this is fresh on my mind.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...i-veteran.html

I usually carry a LCP in my pocket most days and I did again in my suit pants pocket during all this and I really got a lot of hugs, and no one noticed. I've carried that LCP so much that it feels strange not to have it in my pocket so I carried it while making funeral arrangements, visitation, and the funeral.

We had an "incident" happen in the cemetery, during the services, that says, "always be armed". I'll try to post this in the "scenarios" section.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

A SmartCarry should be positioned very low on the hips. The entire gun should be below the waistband of your pants. The elastic should be stretched tight enough that it doesn't slip down further than you want it. Sometimes positioning the barrel to the left of center (assuming you're right-handed) at 10 or 11 o'clock helps a lot.

See if that helps.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

LOL, my exact worries!
    At least it's only for a few hours.
    My friend and I can get together again after he is buried and I can help her work through losing 2 sons in less than 6 months.
    Wow, Girlygirl, she's lost 2 sons within 6 mos....that's a heavy load. Parents aren't supposed to bury their children. She will need a good friend to lean on for quite a while. I just can't imagine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links