Carry at a funeral home

This is a discussion on Carry at a funeral home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I must attend a visitation at a funeral this weekend. A dear friend's son passed away suddenly. I know M and her son well, but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry at a funeral home

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar

Carry at a funeral home

I must attend a visitation at a funeral this weekend. A dear friend's son passed away suddenly. I know M and her son well, but the rest of the family I know barely or not at all. Many of these people are the kind of people most of us would choose to avoid, and no way would I be comfortable not carrying around them.
    That in itself, is unnerving enough, on top of the concern of keeping things very well concealed. My normal everyday jeans and a sweatshirt aren't going to cut it for this. I went out this afternoon and picked up a pair of nice casual black slacks, and I have several shirt/sweater options to work with.My day to day OWB holster isn't going to work, with the soft fabric of the slacks. I've pretty much decided the best way would be to carry my J-frame in a Smart Carry holster. That is until I actually tried it. Sure standing up is fine and it hides so well, I'm not really worried about printing.
    Now sitting down is something entirely different, driving to and from, and sitting through a prayer service will be impossible, unless I get some good advice, fast. Where do you position this holster to allow body movements without the barrel meeting up with bone?
    From the waist down I have the shape of a teenage boy, bones everywhere and not much in the way of padding.
    Smart Carrier's- HELP
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

How about using your OWB holster by using a belt around your waist under your jeans with shirt pulled over
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    How about using your OWB holster by using a belt around your waist under your jeans with shirt pulled over
    I could try that tomorrow. The visitation is Saturday, I have a couple days to try out some options, but I'm open to suggestions.

My other options are:
    Kimber Pro Carry II with OWB holster
    S&W Model 65 or 686+ IWB/OWB convertible holster
    possibly hubby's (ugh) Glock 19 carried OWB
    the S&W Model 29 and the 6" GP100 sorta seem out of the question.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I hate not being able to answer your specific question RugerGirl, as I don't own a SmartCarry (nor would I want to!), but I have a very thin build myself, and the only way I could carry my snubby in your very specific situation is in a Magill's Original BellyBand holster. (The BellyBand was the only way I found to carry while walking around outside in my unbelted sweat pants and T-shirt).

-Bill

It is my understanding that you cannot CCW in a MI church without the written permission of the pastor/preacher.
    If just in the funeral parlor, not a problem.

Not a problem here in FL, and I just use my IWB/SOB...no one knows.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Can you pocket carry? A funeral is one place that I usually only pocket carry. Since there is lots of hugging going on, I don't need a firearm anywhere near my waistline.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Can you pocket carry? A funeral is one place that I usually only pocket carry. Since there is lots of hugging going on, I don't need a firearm anywhere near my waistline.
    +1 I just went to a wake a couple days ago with my LCP in my front pocket.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

My first carry gun was a p3at. I still carry that in my front pocket when I really need to deep carry. Pocket carry in a loose pair of pants?

Pocket carry. I have had to go to several funerals lately (Family members starting to leave us due to old age) and I second the concern about all the hugging.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Hmm, pocket carry, would require adding inseam pockets to the slacks, and might be an alternative, not that hard to do if I can come up with a pocket holster in the next day or two.
    I like the idea of the Belly Band, it seems it would ride higher, and be able to position it off center enough to avoid that bone problem.
    Tomorrow I will be at my local Fun Shop to look into a Belly Band, pocket holster, ankle holster or even a thigh holster that I can wear with a(eek) skirt.
    I might even try making a belly band type holster with some Power Mesh fabric, wide elastic and Velcro or bra hooks, if I can't find something locally.
    I've got to make this work, my friend has lost 2 sons in less than 6 months, and she's not holding up well at all.
    And yes retsupt, it is at a funeral home, fortunately.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    If not in the pocket, appendix strong hand side....loose sweater....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Last resort is an ankle holster. Slow but surer than a gun in your car. Also avoids issues with hugs.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by msb45 View Post
    Last resort is an ankle holster. Slow but surer than a gun in your car. Also avoids issues with hugs.
    Im not a big fan of ankle holster but Im inclined to think it's a good idea, may work well under dress slacks
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Have you thought about purse carry just for this one special event with your S&W Model 65?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have to agree with Bark'n, it sounds like a good solution to a problem that anyone would HOPE not happen at a funeral.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links