Leaving Gun in Car During Summertime - Page 2

Leaving Gun in Car During Summertime

This is a discussion on Leaving Gun in Car During Summertime within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MinistrMalic (but it's a DRY heat!) I love that expression. me-"man it was hot out there" some jackalope-"hey but at least it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaving Gun in Car During Summertime

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    (but it's a DRY heat!)
    I love that expression. me-"man it was hot out there" some jackalope-"hey but at least it was a dry heat" me-"so is the oven....jackalope"

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Yes pistols left in the hot summer weather or very cold weather can cause problems, especially metal pistols. A hot dam slide can be ruff on the love handles when said pistol is re holstered and a cold pistol isn't much better. Other then that mine lives in 110 to - 20 ambient air temps.
    yes you said it! except thank goodness it don't get that hot here. but it does at times gets colder. oh well, at any rate the guns I have for carry have no problems. But my muzzle loaders for hunting, oh my gosh another story.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    +1 on the general feedback

Don't worry about the heat, but lock it up and don't leave it in the sun.

I have a COM car safe and it works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post

I plan to start carrying my gun on the drive to work, then leaving in a MOC box in the car during the day (as I cannot conceal carry at work.... like most of the US). Thanks.
    Out of curoisity, are you sure you can't carry at work because most of us can. Some of us may chose not to. Have you actually seen it in print in your employee handbook? Was the wording aimed at illegal weapons?

I assumed that I could not carry at my current employer's because I used to work for the same owners at a different company. The old company had a "No guns on property" paragraph and much of the new company handbook was copied verbatum. However for some reason the no gun policy did not make it into the handbook.
    Can I carry here? Yes. Would they be happy if they found out? I don't think so. Could they fire me? Yes, but not for violating the no gun policy but that doesn't mean they couldn't fire me for not being productive enough.

I'm in the same boat. I leave my gun in the car while I'm at work here in southern S.C. I haven't had any problems.

VIP Member
    I live in the hottest part of the country and I never worry about the effects of heat on my gun. I do tuck my gun somewhere in the car when I dart into the post office. Still, I donít feel comfortable whether itís locked in a box or not, but thatís just the way it is.
    ďMonsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.Ē
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    I am fairly new to guns and concealed carry and I have, what I think, is a pretty goofy question, so please be kind.

I plan to start carrying my gun on the drive to work, then leaving in a MOC box in the car during the day (as I cannot conceal carry at work.... like most of the US). During the summer days it can get pretty hot in the car. Does this cause any problems to guns, especially polymer guns? I am pretty sure that the answer is no, but MAN can it get hot inside during the summer.

Thanks.
    Burglary of a motor vehicle is THE leading crime in Houston. I am not sure what a MOC box is, but please do make sure it is a VERY strong and secure system. I work for an area PD, and when I stop a carload of car burglars, I like for them to have as few stolen guns with them as possible.

Keep in mind that both firearms and ammo are built to withstand quite high temperatures. Even polymer will not melt at temperatures that will happen inside a vehicle. I would rotate the ammo more frequently, but otherwise, not worry about it.

Edited to add: Just don't use antique ammo! There were incidents in the 1980s of the case-mouth sealant melting down into the powder when cartridges were stored bullet-up. 1980s.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Just don't leave it out in plain view and your good to go
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I have a quick-access gun vault tack-welded and through bolted to the floor of my service truck, between the seats. I get in the truck in the morning and drop my Glock22 in the safe and it resides there all day long.

The only time I carry my firearm into someones home is if I'm in the inner city and not because of the people I'm working for, but because I tend to walk back and forth to the truck a lot and I'm exposed to more "unsavory" type folks.

SA becomes a way of life for me.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Look at the obvious. It doesn't melt the plastic interior of the car, does it? What deterioration does occur is from the ultraviolet light, not the heat.

So as long as the firearm isn't exposed to direct sunlight (and why would anyone leave their gun exposed like that?) it should be good to go.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    No, not a problem.
    THE ONLY LOVE THAT MONEY CAN BUY IS A DOG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links