Leaving Gun in Car During Summertime

This is a discussion on Leaving Gun in Car During Summertime within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am fairly new to guns and concealed carry and I have, what I think, is a pretty goofy question, so please be kind. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving Gun in Car During Summertime

I am fairly new to guns and concealed carry and I have, what I think, is a pretty goofy question, so please be kind.

I plan to start carrying my gun on the drive to work, then leaving in a MOC box in the car during the day (as I cannot conceal carry at work.... like most of the US). During the summer days it can get pretty hot in the car. Does this cause any problems to guns, especially polymer guns? I am pretty sure that the answer is no, but MAN can it get hot inside during the summer.

Thanks.

People have been leaving guns locked in their cars for generations! Should have no problems other than theft of your gun and lock box/safe.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    People have been leaving guns locked in their cars for generations! Should have no problems other than theft of your gun and lock box/safe.
    Thanks...... like I said, I was asking out of ignorance, but I am trying to learn.

Mic
    I kept mine under the seat in my car when I lived in Arizona, never had any problems. As long as it's not in direct sunlight don't think there are any issues and polymer holds up really good or they wouldn't use in manufacturing of the gun.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Should be good to go locked in a vehicle - as Mic said - keeping it out of direct sunlight is good.
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

I live in FL...we have sun and dirtbags.
    I would be more concerned with the dirtbags, the sun isn't much of a problem.
    Hide your CoM Safe somewhere in the trunk where it can't be easily found.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    I am fairly new to guns and concealed carry and I have, what I think, is a pretty goofy question, so please be kind.

I plan to start carrying my gun on the drive to work, then leaving in a MOC box in the car during the day (as I cannot conceal carry at work.... like most of the US). During the summer days it can get pretty hot in the car. Does this cause any problems to guns, especially polymer guns? I am pretty sure that the answer is no, but MAN can it get hot inside during the summer.

Thanks.
    From a standpoint of heat in the car, I would not be concerned leaving a polymer frame handgun in a car even on the hottest day anywhere on the planet. Polymers (plastic) come in all flavors. Most used for firearms are thermal plastics. The melting temperature for the base resin is 500 deg. F. The deflection temperature, where plastic can begin to deform, is between 122 deg F and 300 deg. F. The deflection temperature of glass fiber or carbon fiber reinforced polymers used for most handguns and rifles will often approach the melting point of the base resin, 500 deg F. It may be theoretically possible for reinforced plastic parts used for guns to deform but highly unlikely. Smokeless powder used in modern small arms projectiles has an actual flame temperature (not burning rate) of about 3300 deg. F
    so leaving a loaded handgun rifle or shotgun in a car is not a problem either.

It is also theoretically possible to fry an egg on a sidewalk but it would require a temperature of 158 deg. F for the egg to become firm.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    We've had some threads about this same subject in the past.

I agree that summer time temps shouldn't be a problem, keep in mind that firearms can withstand high temps from being repeatedly fired. If you want to be extra cautious keep the gun in a padded bag inside the COM. Padding = some level of further insulation.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Simple solution to an unfounded worry, stainless steel revolver
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Nope....not a problem with polymer guns....

I've seen some folks carry Glocks in the heat of Iraq and Afghanistan....never a problem (even in a vehicle all day without A/C)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

GM
    Do not worry about the the sun; worry about the BGs.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If it'll make it through summers in AZ (and it will) it'll make it where you are. The inside of the car MIGHT get to 140 here (but it's a DRY heat!), but polymer pistols and ammo can take about three times that before there is any worries whatsoever.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Thanks guys for the information! I have a COM combo lock box coming and that will make a nice bed for the gun while I am having a soul sucked out of me at work.

Yes pistols left in the hot summer weather or very cold weather can cause problems, especially metal pistols. A hot dam slide can be ruff on the love handles when said pistol is re holstered and a cold pistol isn't much better. Other then that mine lives in 110 to - 20 ambient air temps.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Yes pistols left in the hot summer weather or very cold weather can cause problems, especially metal pistols. A hot dam slide can be ruff on the love handles when said pistol is re holstered and a cold pistol isn't much better. Other then that mine lives in 110 to - 20 ambient air temps.
    +1 on the above. Hot/cold slides suck.

Sometimes I hold mine in front of the A/C vent for a minute or so to get it back to the right temp

Besides that, you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure your safe is secure (i.e. bolted down or cabled), you don't want to get jacked!
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." — Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links