Defensive Carry banner

How many minutes could you stand to listen?

Campus Carry open mic discussion at University of Texas

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  dldeuce 
#1 ·
#5 ·
If such a "discussion" were held near me, I'm sure I could tolerate almost any length of time. Haven't been chased out, yet, of a governing session open to public comment where the BOR's protected liberties where the discussion was about tossing them under the bus. Don't expect I ever will. Be chased out due to boredom or disgust, that is.

Hopefully the hired staffers will begin to get the message, the one message that matters: criminals are who they are, and they'll do what they do irrespective of what prior restraints are placed upon all would-be victims (as to their ability to survive such criminals); criminalizing the upstanding helps nobody but such criminals; heavily supporting and protecting the upstanding, OTOH, creates "open season zones" on such criminals, dramatically improving the odds of folks who'd prefer to survive.

#6 ·
Another good one at 40:26.

The law will inhibit free speech on controversial literature.
Wow, it's going to be the wild wild west and blood in the streets over at the liberal arts college!

Great minds won't come to UT to teach.
Great minds like these? That's a bad thing how?

Parents won't let their children enroll at UT.
Again, so where is the downside? With automatic resident admissions now requiring 7-8% top high school rankings, there's a long line of qualified students wanting in. That some dumb liberal schmuk can't get a UT education is all the better for all the rest of us!

#7 ·
Let's see. At 1-11-30, we have the Black Student Alliance.

A large number of black students do not feel safe on this campus already because of the large number of discriminatory acts that have happened against us like bleach bombing. What happens when CHL holders are the same students that were committing those hate crimes against minority students? What happens when instead of calling us racial slurs during arguments, they pull a gun and kill one of our peers?"

I kid you not! Who knows? Maybe this is actually a good thing, and their parents won't enroll them next year!

#8 ·
On the plus side, we have Jerry Patterson, the author of the 1995 CHL law at 1:23-42.

"The dilemma that is faced by this working group is substantial. I will tell you that if they were to do as you ask, or as many of you have asked, in all likelihood, the legislature would come back in the next session and remove all discretion. So, a gun free classroom is probably the thing that would put the legislature over the deep edge, and you would lose all discretion. That's just something that I can pretty much guarantee."

#12 ·
Yes he knows what I suspect these folks think they are above the law. We are going to see a lot of that I fear. The AG is going to be busy putting " above the law" local government entities in their place with 10k per day fines for posting illegal 30.06 and 30.07 signage.
I won't be surprised as these idiots at UT think nothing of thumbing their nose at the LAW.

#9 ·
I can't help it. I had to listen to the whole thing. At 1:27-20, we have a real braniac from the liberal arts school, a graduate student of English.

He wonders:

How do I distinguish between a CHL holder and non-CHL holder? What is the process for monitoring guns on campus? If two people walk on campus, one has a CHL and one does not, how does security know first of all, how do they tell?

This will make it easier for students to bring guns into classrooms undetected and unquestioned, and that makes me feel profoundly unsafe.

I guess it didn't occur to our brilliant English graduate student to ask what is the process now? When the whacko intent on committing capital murder walks on campus with multiple guns, and multiple high capacity magazines, how does security know now? How do they tell whether he's complying with this silly misdemeanor law now? When the mental case brings his horde of weapons into his utopia English class, undetected and unquestioned, and they hit on their intensely controversial discussion on old English literature, will he feel profoundly safe then knowing that the whacko who's about to kill him doesn't have a license to carry guns? Does that make him feel profoundly safe? Apparently, this brilliant thought process is the profound result of his fine education in the prestigious liberal arts college at UT. Who knew all the education I missed out on spending all my time on the other side of the campus in the engineering college?

On the plus side, apparently parents of children like this will refuse to enroll their children at UT after these policies go into effect. Could be even that we'll lose the great mind of this student as a tenured English professor at UT. Give me a minute while I re-compose myself after dealing with the sheer tragedy of that possibility!

#11 ·
More to the point, what part of "concealed" doesn't he understand? Neither he nor security will have any idea someone is carrying, until they draw the gun and use it. And it's extremely, highly, mightily, unlikely that the CHL holder will pull the gun out unless it's to use against the criminal.

The stupid is strong in that one.

#16 ·
You don't have an option there for me .... 5-15 seconds.

Reactions: sdprof
#17 ·
I'm sorry I can't participate in the poll. I can't stand listening to libtards longer than 30sec.

If there is ever going to be a "GOOD" discussion on campus carry & getting rid of GFZs, the libtards involved will need to have there mouths taped shut long enough to educate the populace listening. Otherwise, any debate or conversation with them just deteriorates too quickly; or get sidetracked into a stupid argument that accomplishes nothing.

ETA- It just won't work any other way because libs have a way of wearing a person OUT who is trying to really listen. People get tired of hearing lies & double speak. But, allow the wisdom of a sane individual go forth first--- the FOOL will always be outed after for his folly.

jmo2c

-

#22 ·
Talk about a case of the vapors!

Colorado has had campus carry for several years now. My wife works in the middle of the CU-Boulder flagship campus, and its nice that she can carry as she so desires.

The whole thing has really been a non-event, and the "blood in the streets" crowd is severely disappointed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.