223 trajectory

This is a discussion on 223 trajectory within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to find out how far a 223 goes in a straight line. I have a box of federal 22 that says on it ...

Thread: 223 trajectory

223 trajectory

I'm trying to find out how far a 223 goes in a straight line. I have a box of federal 22 that says on it the bullet will drop about 5 inches in a hundred yards. I can not find anything on 223.

2. Remove Ads

Those tables are all over the net; Just look up the SS109 ammo, here is a link I found. Most other .223 ammo ( I am assumoing you are going to use this in an AR?) will be pretty close.

http://www.hgmc.hu/dani/suli/pusk%E1...ER/556X453.TXT
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    Technically, the bullet starts dropping as soon as it leaves the barrel.

No gun shoots in a straight line. You can compensate by adusting the sights to hit the point of impact at a given range, but it'll only be set for that range because of the trajectory.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It doesn't.
    What's the BC?
    What's the bullet weight?
    What's the initial velocity?
    What distance is the rifle zeroed for?
    What's the sight height?

Go to Remington's and Winchester's websites and play with their online ballistic calculators.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The Ammo Oracle at AR15.com has a very thorough discussion of the ballistics of several types of 5.56mm/.223Rem ammunition through different platforms.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Moderator
    Here is a calculator that can figure out anything that you need and it is pretty danged accurate.
    JBM - Calculations
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for all the links I have a lot of reading to do. I will be using an AR, what I'm trying to figure out is if I sight in at 100 yrds or 200 yrds, how off would I be at around 25 yards.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    That's actually fairly easy---you will be off by the sight-to-muzzle offset. That is, if you are zeroed for 100yds, your sights will be a couple inches high of impact at 25yds with a standard AR-15 fixed front sight.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Thanks for all the links I have a lot of reading to do. I will be using an AR, what I'm trying to figure out is if I sight in at 100 yrds or 200 yrds, how off would I be at around 25 yards.
    If you zero at 50 yards, you'll be dead on at 200 yards and within 2 inches (above or below) of point of aim out to 250 yards. Pretty much the same for 55 and 62 grain ammo.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If you zero at 50 yards, you'll be dead on at 200 yards and within 2 inches (above or below) of point of aim out to 250 yards. Pretty much the same for 55 and 62 grain ammo.
    Thanks

Here's the easiest way to figure it out. Sight in your rifle about 3/4 to 1" low at 25 yds. You'll be within 4" of your 100 yd zero (high/low/left or right - this works with all centerfire rifle cartridges from 17 to 416 with the exception of those that sling a hunk of lead like .444, 45-70, etc, those need POI 1" high). Get your 100 yd zero and move the target back to 25 yds. Adjust your POI 2" high at 100, move to 200 yds. Zero at 200. Move to 25 again.

Remember, when adjusting your sights if your scope or sights are 1/4 MOA it takes 16 clicks to move POI 1" at 25 yds, and 2 clicks at 200 yds.

Links