Pow'R'Ball

Pow'R'Ball

This is a discussion on Pow'R'Ball within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I know that the boys at Cor-Bon put out quality and effective ammunition. I have learned that they have recently released a 55gr ...

Thread: Pow'R'Ball

Pow'R'Ball

Hey guys, I know that the boys at Cor-Bon put out quality and effective ammunition. I have learned that they have recently released a 55gr .32 acp variant of their proven Pow'R'Ball line. I carry a KT P32 99% of the time where I legally am allowed to and fellow owners know about the travesty of rimlock. I have always been in search of the 'magic bullet' for this constant companion. I know it does not exist and that shot placement is key. Don't worry, I get lots of practice with her. However, I am looking at this round for reliable feeding and also expansion. I currently carry a Cor-Bon 60 gr plain jane JHP in the pipe and on top of the magazine and the rest are the relatively fast 73gr Fiocchi. I would like to know if anyone has any feedback, such as if this stuff feeds out of a KT reliably and what expansion/penetration in water or gel they get. I've already check Golden Loki, Brass Fetcher, HiPowers and Handguns, steves pages on terminal ballistics and the box'o'truth, but to no avail. I am not looking for a lecture on the 'poor' performance of the .32acp and I do not plan on carrying a different gun in its place, I have made my reasons clear before for this great little gun. I love it, I am not going to get an LCP, P3AT, or anything else. She is here to stay and I want to optimize its performance. Thanks for your help.

I've used them and they fed perfectly. The performance seems about the same as the Barnes DPX, which Corbon also sells.

Used 9mm Powerball for over a year. We have done our own tests and found the ammo to be outstanding in both reliability and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by nukehayes View Post
    I carry a KT P32 99% of the time where I legally am allowed to and fellow owners know about the travesty of rimlock.
    Guess I've been asleep at the switch. The P32 is my "absolute minimum" carry gun, but I am ignorant of the "travesty of rimlock." Please enlighten me!

(Is it remotely like the heartbreak of psoriasis?)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

JHP loads in the semi-rimmed .32 can move forward enough in the magazine to lock the rims together, preventing the top round from feeding until some complicated fumbling is done. Sometimes the magazine must be partially disassembled, but in any case, it's high on the "Things I don't want to happen in the middle of a gunfight" list. FMJ or a long Pow R Ball can't move forward enough for the rims to get locked. Since many people shoot FMJ but rarely shoot their expensive and hard to find JHP ammo, or only shoot a spare magazine on the range and leave the carry mag loaded with JHP, there's a real risk of not finding out about the problem until that gun is needed for SD.

The simple solution is known as the "Flyer Wire" and it's a simple 5 minute install to any .32acp magazine you might carry JHP in, and it is easily removed to practice with FMJ. Google it, you'll see. The Flyer Wire is a common modification we do to Kel Tecs and Tomcat magazines where I work. It acts as a spacer to move the JHP round forward in the magazine so it doesn't have enough room to move forward and lock up.

I'm not one of the people who prefers FMJ in smaller guns but there are people who's opinion I respect that do. I've gor Cor Bon JHP in my KT and Tomcat and PMC JHP in the spare magazines. Of all the ones I tested those gave the best reliable performance.

Links