UMC Ammo - Page 2

UMC Ammo

This is a discussion on UMC Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dustinfox I read somewhere that Remington purchased UMC which is now a separate division of the company. I just wasn't sure if ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UMC Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by dustinfox View Post
    I read somewhere that Remington purchased UMC which is now a separate division of the company. I just wasn't sure if it was made with lower quality standards or something. Now I'm wondering why I would pay $1 per round for defensive ammo when I can buy UMC hollow points for less than half that amount.
    UMC (Union Metallic Cartridge Co.) was indeed acquired by Remington - back in 1912.

I've used the UMC bulk packs, but I have to say that the "generic" offerings from both Federal (American Eagle) and Winchester (white box) in both .223 and .45 ACP have been more accurate for me.

Re hollowpoints - Winchester, UMC and CCI Blazer offer JHPs in several calibers in their generic ammo lines. But, you don't get something for nothing, and I for one will continue to load the "high priced spread" in my defensive weapons when they are on my person or lying in wait in a defensive mode.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Just picked up a 250rd. "Mega-Pack" of UMC 9mm @ WM...$51.97...
    ~$10.40/50rd. -- Yeah, I'm OK with that.....the Federal Champion is $9.47/50......but my local Wally almost NEVER has it!!

cmb
    Our local walmarts just got in 250 bulk packs of 45ACP, and I snagged one, Isaw the elusive big yellow box last year in 9mm and snagged a couple. I am proud of those once a year finds...

I've shot old UMC and newer UMC and never had a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by dustinfox View Post
    What's the deal with UMC? I mean why is it so much cheaper? It seems reliable enough.
    It is garbage ammo.

Funny to see this come up here today as myself and several instructors (roughly 7) were discussing Remington 'UMC' ammo this past Sunday in between breaks toward a BHE course we were teaching.

That ammo consistently shoots to point of aim inconsistently.
    I've seen it with 9MM and .45ACP and all the others reported same including with their 55gr .223.

This is low quality ammo.
    Yes it'll go bang and cycle your action but there is more to it than just bang.Oppositely of the commercial 'discount' supplier ammunition we all agreed that Winchester White Box is the best of that grade ammo. Very consistent round to round as within a given box.

I only buy Remington UMC for training ammo when I have absolutely no other choice available....And it never fails that once I start shooting it I regret having bought that garbage and wish for some WWB.

Do Not Want!

WWB > Blazer > American Eagle > UMC

- Janq

P.S. - Also it shoots dirty. More dirty than WWB but not as dirty as the commercial reloaded un-jacketed lead garbage that Dicks sells in quantity as well.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links