KelTec PF-9 9mm

This is a discussion on KelTec PF-9 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, I am a first time buyer and I am thinking on purchasing a KelTec PF-9 9mm, can anybody tell me if this is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KelTec PF-9 9mm

KelTec PF-9 9mm

Hello everyone, I am a first time buyer and I am thinking on purchasing a KelTec PF-9 9mm, can anybody tell me if this is a good gun? I was also looking at the Smith and Wesson 40GVE 40SW, 4 Inch, Stainless Steel, OD 14rd

2. Remove Ads

Great little gun! I carried one for a couple of years and loved it. It's small and light enough to be concealed almost anywhere, and plenty accurate for self defense work at gunfighting ranges. Mine was 100% reliable with over 2,000 rounds through it.

The only complaints I had were the low round count, the long, heavy trigger pull, and the recoil kick. The last two complaints are negated with practice. I'll heartily recommend it!

VIP Member
    I got one and it goes bang everytime

Its a great gun.......check link.........YouTube - Kel-Tec PF-9: Table Top Review, Pt 1
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

and welcome to the forum..
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:

I don't leave home without it!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I have several hundred rounds through mine. No problems so far and I do not expect any. I have read that they like 115 grain rounds better and that is what I am carrying and range shooting. There is recoil but not as bad as the P3AT in .380.

Good Luck Finding one....... I'd like to get one too
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Great pistol, I've had mine almost a year now and have no complaints.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

The small thin 9mm's are going to draw the widest range of opinions out of anything.

Paradoxical gun for me. I cannot imagine a more perfect size/weight for carry at the 3:00 to 4:30 position. I considered the Kahr pm9 - the shorter grip would make it a better pocket carry gun, but I find that the extra .5" length of the pf9 grip makes for better, more consistent fast draws when carrying tight against the waist. Anyway, it carries excellent because it is so narrow, as well as light.

Fits my hand very well, feels very good in the hand; but I am unable to shoot it as accurately as I'd like. Something about the gun's action makes it feel like a cheap piece of crap to me, yet it has never malfunctioned. Two absolute novices even shot it and they didn't limpwrist it enough to cause any malfunctions.

Recoil is subjective. To me, the recoil is a violent movement but there is not a lot force behind it; I am not a tough guy, but I do not consider the recoil even slightly painful. Putting 50 or 100 rounds downrange is easy. My dad shot 4 rounds through it, said it hurt his hands, and he was done. Doesn't get back on target as quickly as I'd like.

When purchasing a Kahr or Kel-Tec, I believe there's greater than usual risk of buying a gun that needs to go back to the factory, so I'd buy new to get warranty service. I do think the risk is still pretty low though, and think a lot of the problems with these small guns are operator error (limpwristing).

If I were in the market for a thin polymer-framed 9mm for belt carry again, I would try a Kahr P9 or CW9. Triggers feel better to me, actions don't feel like cheap pieces of crap to me. That's not to say I think these are any more robust or reliable than the Kel-Tec. If I were in the market for a pocket 9 I think the Kahr pm9 would be the way to go.

As a first time buyer, it's quite possible you're going to find that smaller is better (I assume you're gonna carry this concealed). OTOH, if you haven't shot a lot of pistols, the pf9 is not exactly a forgiving first handgun. Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P, and Springfield XD, heck, a bunch of other guns are all gonna be better shooters IMHO, but they are just too thick for the carry situations I am in.

I was in a shop today they had one brand new in hard chrome with 3 mags in the box, the guy said it's has 3 mags because a a special deal they got with Keltec, anybody heard of these "bonus" 3 mags like that in a case with a PF 9 ? because hard chrome maybe?

I didn't get three mags with my hard chrome pf-9

I just purchased a Kahr CW9 recently and fired 205 rounds of 9mm FMJs and JHPs through it in one range session. The pistol performed flawlessly. Just some more food for thought.
    God bless our troops!

if you are a first time gun buyer you might think about a s&w j-frame.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

If you have some experience with handguns you'll like the PF9. If you are new to their use you may want something other than the PF9 which has a bit of recoil due to size and weight. I love mine and I've found the Hornady, Critical Defense 115 gr round to be reliable and to reduce recoil very nicely.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links