Defense Calibers

This is a discussion on Defense Calibers within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I知 trying to get to get an opinion on which is a better defense load. 9mm +P or .40 cal. Some of the ballistic information ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense Calibers

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Defense Calibers

I知 trying to get to get an opinion on which is a better defense load. 9mm +P or .40 cal. Some of the ballistic information I have read put them up to pretty close in stopping power and such. From what I have seen for prices of bulk ammo is that 9mm is approx $80 cheaper per 1000 rounds than .40 cal, which will mean more trigger time, thus more accurate shots. I知 looking at either getting a Glock 26 or 27. I知 just trying to figure out if I should just suck up the price of .40cal or go with the 9mm and get the 26, and get the G26. I知 sure two good shots with a 9mm is much better than 2 moderate shots with .40cal.

2. Remove Ads

Mic
    God not this debate again! it comes down to the individual shooter, some people are better off with 9mm, some shoot better with .40 cal, then each round is different, it goes on and on and on you have to decide what round is best for you.

I prefer .40cal and shoot pretty accurately

Most LE agencies have switched to .40cal
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Moln Lab!

Carry what you shoot best. Both 9mm and .40 S&W are good SD rounds. Personally, I favor the .40, but I'll carry either. For example, my XD9SC holds 13+12 rounds. My XD40SC holds 10+1 in the same size gun. I'm slightly more accurate on double-taps with the 9. Either will do the job if I do MY job - shot placement.

Cost is not a factor for me when choosing a SD caliber or the amount of time I put into practice. My life is worth more than the cost of my bullets.

The 26 will be easier to shoot more quickly and accurately, because the baby Glocks are very light and small pistols. Both of my Glocks are 9mm, a G19 and a G26. If I was going to carry a small .40, it would be the M&P compact. Glocks excel in 9mm, but I really think the M&P is a better platform for .40 and .45. The .40 is not unmanageable in the G27, but recoil is fairly stout.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I知 sure two good shots with a 9mm is much better than 2 moderate shots with .40cal.
    You just answered your own question...but $80 per 1000 rounds is not large enough of a difference to impact the amount of rounds you would purchase..is it? yes the ballistics are extremely similar so consider round count, accuracy..IMHO (and that of many others) it matters not between 9mm .40 cal or .45 you can throw the .357 sig in there also...shoot what you want, can handle and afford..when the time comes just keep shooting until the threat is over that could be 2 rounds of 9mm or 3 or more from a 45 or vise versa
    Led By Love Of Country

I was thinking more about accuracy, and with the 9mm and being able to get a quility controlled pair off.

All advice above is good. I can only add this; pick the one you will shoot the most and become proficient, not enough difference in the 2 to stress over.

I'm really leaning towards 9mm, and getting teh conversion barrel for my G23 see how that works as a back up. Put 5000 rounds or so thought it see if I have any trouble with it jamming or anything. Ive heard that a lot of people saying it worked great.

I did'nt see it mentioned yet but, if you get a 27, which is exactly the same dimensions as the 26, you can get a conversion barrel for $100 to $150 and add some 9mm mags and you'll have both. I did that and so far I'm impressed with the Storm Lake barrel ($125). Some here say that you need to change the extractor also, which may or may not be true if you're using it for SD, but I'm only using it for weapons practice since it's much cheaper. No problems to date.
    It also gives me an option in an emergency. It takes about 15-20 seconds to swap barrels. One more reason to love a Glock!

.40 is a little more effective, but not enough that you need to be getting it if you will shoot a 9mm a lot better. Go with whichever one "feels better" in your gut and all that. You're fine either way. I prefer the .40 myself.

I'm the other end of the spectrum. I won't dare even own a .40cal! Don't get me started on the pit bull story and the demos I have seen.

I would much rather have a good 9mm SD load over a 40S&W. Not sure what 40 ammo is going for, but I have seen big name 124gr 9mm ammo for $239/1,000 at my local gun shop.

Don't buy into the "all the LE dept's are carrying 40's" either. A lot are not happy with that decision, hence a drop in change over to a more proficient caliber,....357sig.

Having said my 2 cents, it is best if you try both if at all possible. If you feel more comfy shooting the one over the other, that's what's really important.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

I like the .40, it's what I carry.

The 9mm is a great round as well.

when all else fails, flip a coin and be happy!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Pistols are generally better-controlled in 9mm than .40; smaller pistols more so.

With Glocks, drama is less likely with the 9mm versions than .40 and .357 SIG. Most Glocks work just fine, but 9mm is more likely to be fine. (I had a G22 that was a drama queen for a while.) I also saw the bulletins that were circulated around PDs regarding issues with weapons.

Offer me a free G26 or G27, my choice, and I will choose the G26. FWIW, I did own a G27, when I used a G22 as a duty pistol. The G27 was 100% reliable, so I could sell it to a co-worker in good conscience. My employer, a PD, made the primary duty cartridge choice for me: .40 S&W. I got away from Glocks, but if I buy another "baby" Glock, it will be a G26. I say this as someone who really does like the .40 and the .357 SIG, in SIGs.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    9mm is a better round overall vs .40 IMO
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    .40 is a little more effective, but not enough that you need to be getting it if you will shoot a 9mm a lot better. Go with whichever one "feels better" in your gut and all that. You're fine either way. I prefer the .40 myself.
    Says who?

At the end of the day it comes all down to shot placement.. End of story. I work in an ER and I have seen a gun shoot wounds ranging from a .22LR to .45's.

I have seen a .22 to the abdomen do some serious damage and send them to surgery (Perforated intestine). This guy was brought in by EMS and in excruciating pain.

On the other hand I have seen a .45 shot to the leg, in and out. Patched the guy up and out he went. Younger fellow was able to walk in off the street and walk to a bed. And it was a corbon powerball, guy had a ND.

A .380 started WWII 1 shot 1 kill....

At the end of the day ballistics tables are just numbers and figures. What matters is where you hit. In my opinion being able to shoot fast and on target is most important. It increases your odds of getting a vital hit.

I have both I carry my 9mm the most out of all my guns, cheaper for me to train, very easy to control and get a number of shoots of quickly and within the COM. I have a G22, I find the recoil "snappy" and can shoot faster and more accurate with my 9mm. The .40 I have never carried, I think its a combo of not liking the recoil and not being a glock fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links