Who is buying up all the hand gun ammo? - Page 2

Who is buying up all the hand gun ammo?

This is a discussion on Who is buying up all the hand gun ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our local Wal-Mart's have been pretty good with 9 MM and .40 cal since they raised their prices. I bought a hundred rounds of .40 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Our local Wal-Mart's have been pretty good with 9 MM and .40 cal since they raised their prices. I bought a hundred rounds of .40 (Winchester) for $30,00 today. That's up from about $12.50 a box of 50 a few months ago. Can't seem to find any .380, 357 Mag or .38 spl though.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    there is quite a bit of ammo available online and many stores have been getting pretty regular shipments lately...if all youre counting on is walmart you need to browden your horizons a little more...
    Earlier this week I checked the local Walmart here and they were loaded with EVERYTHING, except 38 special and .380.
    They had 15 or more boxes of 9mm, some 45 ACP, 40 cal., 357 Sig, 357 Magnum, 44 Special.

Another tip is to try "other" local sources. I know in some areas pawn shops sometimes have ammo.

There are also alternatives to Walmart. Michigan has a chain of stores called Meijers. They are basically just like a Walmart, but people here don't think of them carrying ammo. They have a full blown sporting goods department about equal to Walmarts. I have seen ammo sit on their shelf for weeks at a time because no one thinks to look there for ammo.
    Perhaps some Targets carry ammo, I don't know. Seems like they should though with that name.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Obama panic
    Greed.
    Hoarding.
    People who think they have to buy the entire shipment of ammo that comes in before someone else does.
    Folks that feel 5000 rounds of ammo sitting on a shelf at home isn't enough.
    I agree; I've met people who shoot approx. 1,000 rounds a year but are keeping 10,000 rounds at home. This pisses me off;I shoot about 5,000 rounds a year and have to constantly search for ammo or lay out a bunch of $$$$ and buy online to have a few months supply on-hand.
    The aliens are NOT coming and besides an aluminum hat will protect you from them.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by gwoolery View Post
    You can not purchase any handgun ammo or reloading components in my area. That is the same everywhere. Where is it all going?:
    I've been seeing more of it on the shelves here lately....the Wal Marts, and the local hardware store. Bought a box of 45 GAP last week. I don't even have a 45 GAP pistol (yet). Plenty 22lr, 9mm (in several brands), 40S&W, and 45acp. I've been buying what I see pretty much. Munchos chips are $2 a bag, Always save cookies aint bad with instant milk, 8oz of sandwich meat is 56, and a package of eight hamburger buns is $1.97, and a case of 120z water is $3.98. Life is good! Buy ammo.......keep buying ammo. I've seen the Remington 22lr Thunderbolt everywhere I've gone lately and buying the 350 or 500 round packs. I like the round nose lead 40gr more than anything and couldn't find anything but 36gr plated for a long time.
    I sympathize with you and your plight, but we'd been through a long dry spell around here for almost a year on just about everything ourselves. I'm sure the local Wally Worlds are glad I'm not calling them every day now to find out if they have ammo. They have something in stock that I want now every time I go.

OldVET Nailed It!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Obama panic
    Greed.
    Hoarding.
    People who think they have to buy the entire shipment of ammo that comes in before someone else does.
    Folks that feel 5000 rounds of ammo sitting on a shelf at home isn't enough.

Me thinks you got it right!

Seriously Old Vet, you have summed up the situation correctly and succinctly. And, by the way, thank you for your service to our Country.

Vietnam Vet
    NRA Dist. Life Member
    2nd Amendment Democrat
    Virginia CC Permit Holder

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jrdoranz View Post
    Me thinks you got it right!

Seriously Old Vet, you have summed up the situation correctly and succinctly. And, by the way, thank you for your service to our Country.

Vietnam Vet
    NRA Dist. Life Member
    2nd Amendment Democrat
    Virginia CC Permit Holder
    You too!
    My SEA time was all over Thailand, Guam, Okinawa, and anywhere else the AF could land a plane.

Now I have to go look up "succinctly."
    Wally World here has NOTHING! Well, .22 shorts if anyone's interested.
    To show how bad it is, a fellow I know bought the only 500 rounds of 45-70 in stock for a rifle he admits he's afraid to shoot? What 3rd-world nation is he preparing to take on?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well I looked it up and I have about 10k FMJ handgun ammo on hand. I shoot 250 a week so that is about a years supply.

I have about 50k 22lr and I shoot about 1000 a week so again about a years supply.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with stocking up and my stash will keep expanding. Except for 22lr I buy most of my ammo via the Internet.

I think you're ALL right. It's like jello, buy all you want, they'll make more. I ,myself, did not like the feeling of not being able to get any quality ammo there for a while. I think the post obama run caught the market by surprise and nobody was ready for it. For that reason, I'm buying a little more now than usual, when I find it on sale. I'm also getting reloading dies in calibers that I did not load for before. There was a run on primers for a while also, but it seems to be over now.
    So, get what you can afford or till the wife says "enough is enough! " It's true that if you don't shoot much, you really don't need much. Whatever floats your boat.

P.S. I shot up a couple hundred rounds of Wolf .40 yesterday with no problems. It is a little dirty, but nothing that didn't clean up ok. Accuracy was average out of a G27.

Yesterday I bought the first 40 ammo from wal mart here in the east tampa bay area since this gun and ammo run started. They had two 100 rd boxes and no other pistol ammo.

Gun stores and ranges in the area have ammo.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I have a buddy that works for federal cartrige and he said it is government orders plugging up the works. They are adding new machines and employees but they just cant keep up with the added volume. Government contracts come before .380 for wal mart, its simple as that.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

And thats the way it should be. The boys in the field need it more then we do.

John!

guys that buy the wal mart ammo to take to the gun shows and sale at a higher price to people that don't know better.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

9, 40 is off and on back on the shelves at wally world out here. 22LR is pretty much back and 45 occasionally, but dog gone it where's the 357 MAG???

Just saw ammomans email for wolf 357MAG....not the wolf prices I'm familiar with at all.

Anyone got any advice for online places that aren't charging $60 for a hundred pack that generally costs $30 when it is around?

I bought some 9mm at wally world last week. A box of 50 was 17 bucks, then I stopped by the Scottsdale gun club and they had a box of 50 for 13.50, so i bought more...

Ive seen pretty much everything around here except 357, 38 Special, and .380.

Also, .223, 7.62, and shotgun ammo seems to be readily available as well.

I'm one of those guys who piles up the ammo through the winter, then shoots it all off in the summer. Probably about 2000 rounds of 9mm, 1000 rounds of .223, and 3000 rounds of .22. Nothing to excessive.

I do know a few people around here who buy their ammo by the pallet as a group to save money. I'm considering getting in on that.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links