+P Ammunition And Fed. Hydra Shok - Page 2

+P Ammunition And Fed. Hydra Shok

This is a discussion on +P Ammunition And Fed. Hydra Shok within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All that was well said, and even a .22 could easily kill someone though. I'm just looking for top notch, easier kill, be nice to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: +P Ammunition And Fed. Hydra Shok

Ox [OP]
    All that was well said, and even a .22 could easily kill someone though.
    I'm just looking for top notch, easier kill, be nice to have them die quickly rather than get shot and them start shooting you until you shoot them a few more times...it could be too late by then.

You only get one shot in life, I'm just trying to get the best things I can.

I don't know how much power a bullet really has behind it, so obviously I'm going to look for what's said to be the best man stopper...and so far out of everything I've read and been told, it would be the Gold Dots.

I guess the real question would be, would 230g .45 hydra shoks really kill someone efficiently or would it not do it's job through things like denim?
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    All that was well said, and even a .22 could easily kill someone though.
    I'm just looking for top notch, easier kill, be nice to have them die quickly rather than get shot and them start shooting you until you shoot them a few more times...it could be too late by then.

You only get one shot in life, I'm just trying to get the best things I can.

I don't know how much power a bullet really has behind it, so obviously I'm going to look for what's said to be the best man stopper...and so far out of everything I've read and been told, it would be the Gold Dots.

I guess the real question would be, would 230g .45 hydra shoks really kill someone efficiently or would it not do it's job through things like denim?
    (1) There are too many variables to give guarantees about any particular bullet's performance in any given circumstance. As I previously said, the FBI still issues HydraShok in .40S&W to it's agents. Since the FBI testing is the "standard" by which SD ammo is judged, do you really think they would issue an ineffective round?

(2) Self-Defence shooting is shooting to stop the threat! It is NOT shooting to kill. That may happen, but that is NOT the intent of SD shooting.

Choose whatever makes you happy and comfortable; that's why there are so many choices.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Ox [OP]
    1. The Hydra-Shok ammo the FBI uses is a different type Hydra-Shok, not the standard issue that civillians can obtain, so I heard.

2. If it were me, and someone broke in, I would WANT them dead, not hurt.

I appreciate all the replys, but many of you like the Gold Dots and all of you are well knowledged, so I'm going to invest in some of those probably....I heard too much of the H-S clogging.
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    The Hydra-Shok that the FBI (and my agency) uses is the same as is available to civilians. It is perfectly suitable for SD purposes though, as others have said, there are more modern designs out there.

The point is that the improvements are incremental, and so small as to be irrelevant in 99.9% of cases. There have been numerous reports from people deeply involved in post shooting investigations that have supported the notion that you cannot tell, even in autopsy, what type of bullet was used. This not only applies to the specific brand of hollow point, but even, in many cases, as to whether or not the round even was a hollow point, or even what caliber the round was.

No bullet has magical properties. The "old school" Hydra-Shok isn't the latest and greatest, but neither is it unsuitable as SD ammo. Shoot to stop the threat, and shoot until the threat is stopped. Neither you nor the BG is likely to care if you could have had .001 more inches of expansion...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Ox [OP]
    That's right, and ya'll made good points...but why not get the latest and greatest if it's available?
    May as well get the modern day good stuff, the newer tech...It isn't like i'm spending a fortune.
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Absolutely. If you want it, can afford it, feel more comfortable with it, and (most importantly) get reliable feeding and good accuracy from it - buy the "best" you can find.

And if you're looking for a place to get rid of that old Hydra-Skok.... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Ox, once you are confident you can put a round exactly where you want it, you will realize that brand A vs. brand B ammo is mostly advertising. I carry off the shelf Hydra Shoks in my G27 every day. I also carry Federal EFMJ in my M&P 45. Go figure.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

1. The Hydra-Shok ammo the FBI uses is a different type Hydra-Shok, not the standard issue that civillians can obtain, so I heard.
    Nope, same round. I have a thousand rounds of it from a production over-run and it's exactly the same as what I buy off the shelf.

2. If it were me, and someone broke in, I would WANT them dead, not hurt.
    That may be what you want, but if you are ever involved in a shooting and you tell that to the police, expect, at least, a manslaughter charge, depending upon your individual state laws. Shooting with the intent to kill someone, not just stop them, is usually called murder. If someone breaks into MY house, I want them to leave without my having to shoot at them. Less paperwork; less grief; less mental anguish over taking the life of another human being, scum or not. But that's just me.

I appreciate all the replys, but many of you like the Gold Dots and all of you are well knowledged, so I'm going to invest in some of those probably....I heard too much of the H-S clogging.
    As I said, pay your money and take your choice. Just don't condemn out-of-hand ammo that you really don't know anything about without testing it yourself.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Ox [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    That may be what you want, but if you are ever involved in a shooting and you tell that to the police, expect, at least, a manslaughter charge.
    (EDITED: Liability reasons :p )

I just hope to god I'm never in that situation, nor any of my family.
    I'm very blessed with the family I have, and I wish for the best and for nothing to ever cross over into our lives like that.

And I ordered some Gold Dots, I'm going to shoot a box, if they feed alright, then I'll be using those.
    Of course I'd still use the Hydras, but I'd rather keep the newer ones.
    I may even use the Hydras in colder weather and the Gold dots in warmer.
    I know, you should at least put 500 rounds through of the round you plan on using, but I don't have that much cash, so for now, a box will have to do, and if none fail to feed, I'll put my bet on it.

And every chance I get to shoot, I'll use them.

Thing is, there isn't a range within a 4-6 hour drive from where I live, there is ONE, but you can't shoot HP's at the range of course...So I don't even know where I'll be going to test fire these, any ideas?
    Last edited by Ox; March 21st, 2010 at 09:39 AM.
    NRA Member

Thing is, there isn't a range within a 4-6 hour drive from where I live, there is ONE, but you can't shoot HP's at the range of course...So I don't even know where I'll be going to test fire these, any ideas?
    - Does your range actually say you can't use HP's? None of the ranges in CT have that kind of restriction.

Ox [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Does your range actually say you can't use HP's? None of the ranges in CT have that kind of restriction.
    Yeah, they're exact words were,
    "We allow rifle HP's on range, but handgun HP's are forbidden, you cannot shoot them, or even bring them into the range area".

Oh, is 230grain a good defensive grain? I need to look into the grains and what the difference is between them, cabelas only sells gold dots in 230g and I read that 230g is the standard SelfDefense load, but a slow bullet sounds like it wouldn't do a great job on someone...
    Should I get lighter? Or is 230 good?
    NRA Member

Those Hydra Shoks are fine.. would YOU care to be shot with one? If you are involved in a shooting, watch what you even put online. A good lawyer will dig those statements out and bring them back to haunt you.
    The best thing to do is find somewhere to spend the day shooting and try a few different loads...type, weight and manufacturer. Then decide what your gun shoots best and not what someone on the internet says MIGHT be the best round for SD. It's your life you're talking about. This is a great place for ideas, but test for yourself before you decide.

OD*
    OX, there is quite a lot of good information to be found in these articles.
    LE - Wound Ballistics
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links