+P Ammunition And Fed. Hydra Shok

This is a discussion on +P Ammunition And Fed. Hydra Shok within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Again, I use a SA-XD. 45Acp. I just purchased some Federal 230g JHP Hydra-Shok ammunition after reading tons of good reviews on it. Now that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: +P Ammunition And Fed. Hydra Shok

Ox [OP]

+P Ammunition And Fed. Hydra Shok

Again, I use a SA-XD. 45Acp.

I just purchased some Federal 230g JHP Hydra-Shok ammunition after reading tons of good reviews on it.

Now that I found this forum with "professionals", would you say this is a good self defense load?

I was about to get Hornady TAPs but all I could find was +P, and I heard that +P ammo can tear up and ruin your gun.
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I currently carry and have shot 230gr. TAP +P in my XD Compact .45. XD's can handle +P loads with no problems.

Hydra-shock is good ammo, it's just that there are better bullet designs since it was introduced. Remember...the BEST bullet is the one you can shoot accurately and hit your intended target.
    Proud NRA member

As orangevole stated, your XD is rated for +p and should handle it fine. Technically, +p ammo will wear your springs faster, but you won't notice it unless you use it for range ammo. I carry the Hornady Tap +p in both of my Sig P220. I didn't notice any difference in the recoil and I picked up about 100 FPS.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

+1 to what Orangevol said.

While it's true that shooting a lot (like, thousands of rounds) of +P ammo can accelerate wear...shooting a box or two every now and then will not hurt the XD, nor will it wear it out faster. If you're truly worried about it, put in a slightly heavier recoil spring.

And, (to reiterate the above) 230 Hydrashok was--stress was--the gold standard in .45 defensive ammo for a long time...but there are better rounds out there now. I've run the Hornady +P's in all of my pistols with no problems whatsoever.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Hydra Shok's are good rounds, but I use HST's when I can find them.

Any of the manufactures that us Barnes XTP bullets should do just fine.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

CMR
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Remember...the BEST bullet is the one you can shoot accurately and hit your intended target.

Far as SD ammo, I prefer Ranger "T", HST, or Gold Dots.

I know alot swear by the XTP's but I've seen deer shot with them and am not impressed with performance, the bullet didn't live up to its reputation.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Hydro Shoks are fine. They are old tech. My opinion is that with 45s just about any bullet will be ok if it is reliable in your gun. If I had a 45 that only liked WWB 45 or some other inexspensive ball ammo I would not see that as a reason to not carry that gun, even though better bullets were available.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Ox [OP]
    Everyone is stressing that they are "old" tech, and that there are better now.
    Should I regret buying them, should I buy new? Is it still wise to trust my life with them if they shoot flawlessly from the gun, or should I go find the "newer" tech?

How can they change tech in a bullet? Seems like if it shoots, it shoots...
    NRA Member

nothing wrong with them. they might be old school but they will get the job done. so son't worry. now the +p thing. +p will not hurt your gun. you would have to shoot many rounds to make that happen, like k's of rounds.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Everyone is stressing that they are "old" tech, and that there are better now.
    Should I regret buying them, should I buy new? Is it still wise to trust my life with them if they shoot flawlessly from the gun, or should I go find the "newer" tech?
    In terms of bullet design, compared to bullets designed in the last few years they ARE "old tech". That does not mean the design isn't good or doesn't perform well. It just means there are more modern hollow-point designs.

The SINGLE most important consideration is functioning; does the ammo you want to use function 100 percent of the time in YOUR gun? If not, don't use it.

The SECOND most important consideration is accuracy; are you satisfied with the accuracy in YOUR gun? If not, look elsewhere.

After those two considerations everything else in modern SD ammo is angels dancing on the head of pin. There is virtually no practical difference in the performance between brands.

How can they change tech in a bullet? Seems like if it shoots, it shoots...
    The design and construction of the bullet (the projectile, not the completed round) determines the performance. This can include the thickness of the jacket material, how it is segmented, the size and shape of the hollow cavity, the shape of the bullet's nose, bullet weight and probably a whole host of other factors.

FWIW, I have 1k of .40S&W 155gr HydraShok - it is one of my favorite SD rounds. I also carry Winchester PDX-1 in 180gr when I want a heavier bullet. I feel equally comfortable defending my life with either one.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I carry Gold Dots in my .45, but I feel hitting someone with anything in .45 is effective. Never heard any story of a BG getting hit with a .45 and saying, "Is that all ya got?"

Of course +P is harder on a firearm--if you feed it a steady diet of the stuff. Who does that?

Fire range ammo for practice, fire some +P to prove it feeds and get the feel of it. Don't seat the small stuff. Just make sure it feeds well in your firearm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

CMR
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Hydro Shoks are fine.
    BTW, its Hydra...not Hydro.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Here's one of many ammo test on the internet these days. Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Ox [OP]
    They went against Hydra Shoks and said they were bad
    : /

I'm regretting buying them now, I bought them for self defense and now everything I'm reading says it isn't a big thump man stopper, that the penetration is bad and it is a weak round compared to newer ones.

Guess I'm going to have to fork over more money to get some Gold Dots....
    Last edited by Ox; March 20th, 2010 at 09:18 AM.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    They went against Hydra Shoks and said they were bad
    : /

I'm regretting buying them now, I bought them for self defense and now everything I'm reading says it isn't a big thump man stopper, that the penetration is bad and it is a weak round compared to newer ones.

Guess I'm going to have to fork over more money to get some Gold Dots....
    There is NO pistol round that is a "big thump" man stopper. Such rounds simply don't exist, and that includes the .45 ACP! Maybe a .454 Casull or .500 S&W, but certainly nothing in the normal carry calibers. DO NOT fall for all the advertising hype around SD ammo - and much of it is just that - hype!

I have yet to read any of the "test" reports that isn't biased in some way. These reports are pretty much all looking for maximum expansion and the bullets that expand X-number of thousandths more than another will be declared the "winner"

If you read the threads on this site from medical examiners, they will all tell it it's pretty much impossible to tell what bullet is used.

If you don't feel comfortable carrying the Hydra-Shok, then don't. Confidence in one's tools (and really, that's all any firearm is) is essential to getting quality results. FWIW, the FBI still issues 155gr Hydra-Shok in .40S&W as one cartridge option for their agents. To me, that speaks more eloquently than anything else.

There's nothing the matter with Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers, Winchester PDX-1, Winchester Rangers HST - OR Federal H-S. Pay your money and take your choice - if have have to shoot someone in self-defence, their condition will be the same, no matter what round you shot them with, IMHO.

As has been said time and time again - and bears repeating - bullet placement is THE most important factor in getting the desired results. It's far more important than bullet type, size or construction. There is no such thing as a magic, "knock 'em on their butt" bullet.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links