Best ammunition grain for defense

This is a discussion on Best ammunition grain for defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 230 grain, 200 grain, 185 grain, what's, in your opinion, the best self defense grain? 230g is considered the standard SD load, why? Is 230g ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best ammunition grain for defense

Ox [OP]

230 grain, 200 grain, 185 grain, what's, in your opinion, the best self defense grain?

230g is considered the standard SD load, why?

Is 230g a good choice, or a bad one?
    I'm buying some gold dots, and on Cabelas, they only sell 230g, but I know 230 is a heavy weight which means a slow bullet, is that a good thing, or a bad thing?
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    IMHO---Speed, diameter and bullet construction are more important than weight. My choice in .45acp is the Barnes offering of an all copper hollow point--185gr. the DPX. At about a buck apiece it is almost cheaper to buy factory ammo than it is to reload them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    IMHO---Speed, diameter and bullet construction are more important than weight. My choice in .45acp is the Barnes offering of an all copper hollow point--185gr. the DPX. At about a buck apiece it is almost cheaper to buy factory ammo than it is to reload them.
    Ox, much like your Hydra-Shok vs. Gold Dot vs. HST vs. Quality Brand X, Y, or Z..... There is no "best." If there were one, proven, undisputed "best" of anything, it would be the only one that exists. The wide variety of choices out there clearly indicate that no one can say for certain what the "best" is.

Pick a top quality round, in whatever weight or brand name, that functions reliably and accurately for you. Then spend just half the time you spend worrying about differences that are - for all practical purposes - not differences at all and get out to the range (or the woods, or wherever) so you can actually practice. Time spent practicing is infinitely more important than a few hundredths of an ounce weight difference.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Any round you can place exactly where you want it is a good round.

Ox [OP]
    Guess I fell into the "can't think for himself manufacture hype vs. hype" scam eh?
    Never grew up around or got any help with guns, so I'm on a mission to learn these simple things, step by step.

Thanks for all the help everyones been.
    NRA Member

Gold dot. Been around for a while.. Lots of folks out there rely on it and as long as it cycles well in your pistol it is a good choice. I have never had a problem of any kind with it over the years and would trust it for EDC.

OMO

bosco

sgb
    in order of preference:

Winchester Ranger T - RA45T
    Speer Gold Dot - 230
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Dependability factors higher in my mind. I would try a few different loads and see which functions better in your gun. Then I would determine which I prefer the "feel" of more. That is, which do you shoot better 185, 200, 230 whatever.

OPFOR gave good advice. Use a quality brand and practice, practice, practice.

Never be afraid to ask a question. No one knows it all! (Lord knows I don't!)

Good for you for educating yourself!

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    230 grain, 200 grain, 185 grain, what's, in your opinion, the best self defense grain?

230g is considered the standard SD load, why?

Is 230g a good choice, or a bad one?
    I'm buying some gold dots, and on Cabelas, they only sell 230g, but I know 230 is a heavy weight which means a slow bullet, is that a good thing, or a bad thing?
    I know it is a small thing, but the term you are looking for is bullet weight.

That said, any of the three bullet weights listed will do just fine. The important thing is what functions best and is most accurate in YOUR firearm.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Don't stress yourself out over this. Carry what you are comfortable with.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
    Don't stress yourself out over this. Carry what you are comfortable with.
    Exactly.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Any round you can place exactly where you want it is a good round.
    ^yes^
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I understand you are new to guns and shooting, and I think you might think that as long as I have the "best" of everything, it will make me a better shooter or make me safer. I'm sorry, that is just not the case. Spend your time and your money at the range, shooting the cheapest target ammo your gun will fire.

This whole "super bullet" phenomenon has only been around for the last 15 or 20 years. Before this, most guns where loaded with either lead round nose or FMJ ball ammo. And to emphasize this, try and count the graves of all the people who met their maker at the hands of these " old style" bullets since the revolutionary war.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Best Ammo Grain for Defense??

There are a lot out in the world right now. The best answer is what Works and Functions at a 100% level in your gun and also expands well in the real world. I have used Speedy Mid-Grain Bullets, Heavy Hydro's and the latest All Copper mid weight speedy bullets. I use what works in my guns at the 100% level that delivers the most Punch per Bullet. I switched from Federal Hydro's to Cor-Bon DPX in all my carry bullets 2 years ago, read that as 9MM, 40S&W and .45ACP. Your mileage will Vary on this issue, this is what I carry. Go check and look at all the information is out there on YouTube.Com. There is lots of tests to see and do.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    This whole "super bullet" phenomenon has only been around for the last 15 or 20 years.
    Actually it's been much longer than that, the quest for a "super bullet" by professionals and gun cranks alike, started in the late 1960s when a man by the name of Lee Jurras and his company Super Vel, gave the shooting world the first true self-defense "hot hollow-points."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links