Possible dumb question

Possible dumb question

This is a discussion on Possible dumb question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good evening all. My question is is it alright to use speer gold dot short barrel ammo in a firearm with a barrel longer than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible dumb question

Good evening all. My question is is it alright to use speer gold dot short barrel ammo in a firearm with a barrel longer than 3in?
    I have some left over from when i sold my G26 but have a G19 now and just wanted to know if the ammo wasn't a total bust.

Thanks in advance!

VIP Member
    Certainly

Good to hear! Thank you for the quick response!

Dont worry about barrel length, it all goes bang!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Keep your ammo and carry it or shoot it. We've done fine for years with regular carry ammo in all sizes of pistols until someone came up with a marketability option of how they could sell more ammo at high prices to those who think they need it when they tell them why they need it and provide an advertising campaign that will verify all of that with experts who can attest to it's better specific purposes as introduced by he engineer who created it. Marketing schemes bother me somewhat if you can't tell. 80% of what we are told is garbage, and 50% of that is taken at face value and spread amongst ourselves by us. Does anyone really NEED short barrel ammo? The answer is no. Leave the specialty ammo to hunting, long distance, and the game. When it comes to personal defense, use your head.

The ammo will work fine just use it.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Shoot it...it'll go BANG just fine.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I'm not so sure that the "short barrel" ammo isn't just regular ammo in a different box with a different product code.

In short, it's Speer's attempt to cash in on the marketability of a perceieved need of the consumer's. Personally, if it goes in my full size guns, it goes in my smaller size guns too.

If it were me, I'd carry the so called "short barrel" stuff, if I had any, and not think twice about it. I don't have this issue, as mine is in reverse. I don't have "short barrel" ammo, but it does go in my short barreled guns.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Dumb question? No. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
    And yes the Short barrel ammo will work as well in the 19 as it did in the 26
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJerm80 View Post
    is it alright to use speer gold dot short barrel ammo in a firearm with a barrel longer than 3in?
    The manufacturer of most every 9mm ammunition I have ever purchased has stated the testing of the ballistics was measured with a 4" barrel. Yet, that same ammo works fine in barrels longer and shorter than those tests. "Short barrel" ammo will be much the same. It won't be optimal in something else, but it should work just fine. Unless you chronograph the results, you likely won't notice much difference other than a change in how bright the flash looks.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Keep your ammo and carry it or shoot it. We've done fine for years with regular carry ammo in all sizes of pistols until someone came up with a marketability option of how they could sell more ammo at high prices to those who think they need it when they tell them why they need it and provide an advertising campaign that will verify all of that with experts who can attest to it's better specific purposes as introduced by he engineer who created it. Marketing schemes bother me somewhat if you can't tell. 80% of what we are told is garbage, and 50% of that is taken at face value and spread amongst ourselves by us. Does anyone really NEED short barrel ammo? The answer is no. Leave the specialty ammo to hunting, long distance, and the game. When it comes to personal defense, use your head.
    I feel the same way about all the hoopla over various HP designs.

People get hyper over something that someone's tests show has .003 more expansion that everything else. I contend that, in the real world, there's no practical difference in performance between all the current HP designs, including the "outdated" HydraShok. The older I get, the less inclined I am to fall for the latest and greatest hype.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Nope the round will get stuck after 3 inches.....I remember accidently reloading some once
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Dad used to always tell me, "theres fishing lures, and there's fisherman lures. Both of them are designed to catch something." I looked at a couple of the ballistic charts, because like many, i have a couple of "short barrelled" pistols, and i didn't see any diffrence on the ft lbs or muzzle velocity. anyone know of any data that suggests diffrent?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb231 View Post
    Dad used to always tell me, "theres fishing lures, and there's fisherman lures. Both of them are designed to catch something." I looked at a couple of the ballistic charts, because like many, i have a couple of "short barrelled" pistols, and i didn't see any diffrence on the ft lbs or muzzle velocity. anyone know of any data that suggests diffrent?
    There will be "measurable" differences, but no "practical" difference in the results on target. In any center-fire cartridge above 9mm, a difference in 100 fps or 50 f/lbs of energy will not be apparent to the recipient of the fired round. It might make a difference in .32 ACP or .380 ACP, though.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Shoot um!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links