Ok, I'm still a newbie...question on ammo

This is a discussion on Ok, I'm still a newbie...question on ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at stuff in the gun shop (my favorite place these days) and saw some .38 "shotshell" Didn't think to ask while I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm still a newbie...question on ammo

Ok, I'm still a newbie...question on ammo

I was looking at stuff in the gun shop (my favorite place these days) and saw some .38 "shotshell"

Didn't think to ask while I was there, but can I use it safely in my S&W 642 ?

Otherwise, I may just have to get one of those derringers as my BUG just because.....

Thanks
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Any revo will fire the shotshell ammo but that stuff is pretty much ''snake'' ammo as against real defensive stuff.

Shot size is generally quite small - #12 in .22 shotshells and in 38 - not sure but probably still somewhere around #8 - #6 as max I'd expect. Strictly short range.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

yes you can shoot it as said its for snakes and not much else

Some of the "Shotshell" also has a plastic sabot to prevent barrel damage or leading. If you use this stuff - make sure it's the sabot style.

The "old style" just had a crimped end that held the shot in, but the shot damaged the barrel and also led to excessive lead accumulations in the barrel. I truly don't know if that old style stuff is even made anymore.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Administrator
    Everybody should buy them at least once just because they are fun to goof around with.

They are honestly not very effective for anything as they are very anemic and highly underpowered.

Please don't even think that they would be useful for any serious self~defense purposes because they sure are not.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Please don't even think that they would be useful for any serious self~defense purposes because they sure are not.
    That is so true. You run the risk of seriously irritating a BG if you blast him with one of these.

Many years ago, a gun magazine writer (don't recall the magazine) who did a "Q&A" column actually recommended Speer .38 Special shotshells for self defense. His recipe was shotshells for the first two rounds in the cylinder, followed by four rounds of full power ammo. I knew an LEO who followed this advice.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I do have to admit that they do a number on snakes at close (15' or less) ranges. That is if your using a 38 or larger.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    the CCI 38's are loaded with 9's (1/4oz I think), I usually carry one in the LAST pipe in my Taurus 85UL which is my fishing/hunting partner. That way if I need to shoot a vermin or in-season bunny, I can just rotate the cylinder. Although the .45 shotshells pattern the best in my experience, especially reloads.

I shot a 5+' water mocassin with a 38spl cci shot shell out of a 4" S&W model 10 at about 20 ft and that sucker lifted it's head and looked at me as if to say "is that all you've got?". The followup shot with a 148gr HBWC wiped that look off his face.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVelocity
    I shot a 5+' water mocassin with a 38spl cci shot shell out of a 4" S&W model 10 at about 20 ft and that sucker lifted it's head and looked at me as if to say "is that all you've got?". The followup shot with a 148gr HBWC wiped that look off his face.
    Curry

Thanks

I appreciate the input. I picked up a box, just to try 'em out this weekend at the range. Maybe will be able to use them when we are in the woods.

As for wiping out the smile...I would have guessed it wiped out his face ;)
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    The problem with it is that your pistol, and most pistols for that matter have rifled barrels which impart spin to whatever is pushed through it by the expanding gasses of the powder charge.

The effect that this has on shotshells is that the shot expands in all directions as it leaves the barrel, due to the size of this shot, the one or two pieces that hit the target may have little or no effect.

I experimented with .38 shotshells a couple years ago and fired them through a "tunnel" I made by joining two plastic 5 gallon buckets together and cutting out one of the bottoms (essentially making one 10 gallon bucket). The handgun I was using was my 4" S&W 686.

I fired one shotshell toward the center of the bucket. 80 to 85% of the shot impacted on the sides of the tunnel while the shot that hit the intact end of the bucket was mostly spread toward the outer edges, the plastic cup that holds the shot exploded as soon as it left the barrel as evidenced by pieces of it embedded in the sides of the tunnel. only three pieces of shot hit near the point of aim (actually within a 3 inch circle).

For snakes you would be best to use a smoothbore like a real shotgun, or you could buy a cheap 38 with a shotout barrel or have someone bore out the rifling and use that just for snakes (there may be some legal problems with the last option).

After I finished shooting the whole package I never bought any more. I carry a .410 shotgun and a .45Colt when I think I will encounter snakes.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I remember reading in a book about snakes a few years ago that pit vipers (like Rattlesnakes) would strike at a moving bullet because they can "see" infrared radiation (heat) and are fast enough to do it. Don't know if it is true - any herpetologists in the house?

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan
    I remember reading in a book about snakes a few years ago that pit vipers (like Rattlesnakes) would strike at a moving bullet because they can "see" infrared radiation (heat) and are fast enough to do it. Don't know if it is true - any herpetologists in the house?
    The last time I used a 410 on one, it didn't strike. Of course, that was at about 10 feet. RnR used a .380 on one a couple of months ago - any input RnR?
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Administrator
    BTW...The CCI encapsulated shot shot shells seem to be about the best ones "out there" ~

Oh...here is a Web Write Up inclusive of some handgun shotshells ~ I've not even read it yet as I've got a powerful headache this evening.

Click On The Link Below To Read The Page.

http://www.wildcatcommerce.com/productimages/thumbs/119/CCI_3706.JPG
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links