.357 sig?

.357 sig?

This is a discussion on .357 sig? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy everybody, I am researching the different calibers commonly used for SD and I've done some internet reading about the .357sig round. Just curious to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 sig?

.357 sig?

Howdy everybody,
    I am researching the different calibers commonly used for SD and I've done some internet reading about the .357sig round. Just curious to know how many (if any) use this round in their EDC firearms? It seems pretty interesting to have a 9mm bullet in a necked down .40s&w cartridge. Is the recoil as strong as a regular .40s&w? Any info/pros and cons/thoughts will be greatly apreciated.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Would this thread help?

The .357 is a very fast, very loud round. It's a great round, but in my opinion not ideal for EDC.

thank you BlueNinjaGo, that is exactly what I was looking for!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

I have to agree with kb2wji.
    Considering the Soviet blok gave up the 7.62x25 round due to over-penetration. i.e. very fast and powerful, but went clean through the threat without much damage.
    It could be argued that was because it was a FMJ bullet. However, my concern would be the same. I want something that will linger and do as much damage as possible - - - can you say stopping power. Since the guns are normally 40 or 45 cal size, why not get their renowned effect?? Besides ammo is less available and more expensive.

I have two .40's...........That I have now converted to .357 Sig. The .357 Sig, is the MOST accurate round I have ever fired from a semi-auto pistol. The terminal performance is excellent. The bottlenecked case means improved feed reliability too. Our Troopers (North Carolina) carry .357 Sig and the LOVE it! Good penetration does not mean overpenetration. In fact too little penetration is much more dangerous to us Good Guys, gotta reach those vitals.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    I have two .40's...........That I have now converted to .357 Sig. The .357 Sig, is the MOST accurate round I have ever fired from a semi-auto pistol. The terminal performance is excellent. The bottlenecked case means improved feed reliability too.
    I have had the same experience except I own 3 guns that fire both .40 and .357.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

It works great. It's simply another option compared to other handgun rounds. I have no problem reccomending a weapon using it's bullet design.

Training will paramount your caliber choice, so no matter what you get, train plenty.
    Beretta 92FS

The 357 sig is a necked down 10mm case,the 40 case isn't long enough
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post

Actually thats a 9x25 Dillon.

Yes the .357sig case is longer then the 40 case before it is necked down, but its not 10mm length.

At least that is my understanding, I am no expert though.

Edit to add:
    Wiki says - "While it is based on a .40 S&W case necked down to accept 0.355-inch (9.0 mm) bullets, the .357 SIG brass is longer." .357sig

Not that Wiki is always right
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    I have two .40's...........That I have now converted to .357 Sig. The .357 Sig, is the MOST accurate round I have ever fired from a semi-auto pistol. The terminal performance is excellent. The bottlenecked case means improved feed reliability too. Our Troopers (North Carolina) carry .357 Sig and the LOVE it! Good penetration does not mean overpenetration. In fact too little penetration is much more dangerous to us Good Guys, gotta reach those vitals.
    The Air Marshals carry the .357 Sig also. in cases of where sonmeone has been shot with a Sig, the bullet is usually found on the backside in the clothing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Actually, it's not a 10mm case. The 10mm uses a large pistol primer, whereas the .357 uses a small primer. The Sig cases can be made from .40 cases for lower power rounds, the case is not quite as strong and the neck is slightly shorter, but doable.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    A Couple reasons I wouldn't and didn't get a .357sig is Availability, Practicality, and Need. I got a 40S&W. I could convert it to a .357sig but I just don't see why.

Get the gun you can shoot with and hit the target. Shot placement is King, Penetration is Queen....

Their is no reason why I should not be able to cancel any threat with my 40S&W 165 grain. I did some ballistic testing of my own and found that my bullet at 10 feet did penetrate 14.5 inches.

For all intended purposes that is perfectly acceptable for me. I carry what is comfortable and maybe one day I'll get a barrel conversion kit. but my EDC will be a round that I can shoot well with, good luck... carry on!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

If you do an advanced search of this site for '357SIG' and '357 SIG' you will get many discussions of this cartridge. At this time, I think Double Tap is the only ammo manufacturer offering a 357SIG and a .357 mag with identical performance - 1450 fps w/ 125 gr JHP. Most other offerings are between 1275 and 1375 fps, and while some 9mm +P+ may approach these velocities, remember that the 357SIG is SAAMI spec and the 9mm +P+ is not. The Virginia State Police have been using it for over 11 years, now, and have stayed with this cartridge longer than any other cartridge since they retired their .357 mag revolvers, including 9mm, 10mm, and .40S&W. The 357SIG cartridge is being used by more and more law enforcement agencies around the country as time passes. Texas DPS was among the first to switch after the cartridge was introduced, and they are still with it.

I carry 357SIG. I prefer the recoil of the 357SIG to that of the .40S&W, myself, but that is such a personal perception. I think perceived recoil will be different for each person. Some say the round is too loud. I honestly don't find it any louder than a .357 mag, or a 9mm +P+, or a premium 9mm +P defensive load, but that's just me. It IS loud, and it will clear out an indoor range, but I think some comparisons are overblown.

Some consider the 357SIG to be a service round, because it is used by so many Federal, State and municipal law enforcement agencies. Some complain that it is not available locally. In my area, it is widely available, with Federal, Speer, Winchester, Double Tap, Corbon, and Hornady being represented.

I think that having a SAAMI spec FMJ that performs identically to your JHP is a great advantage of this cartridge. Both offer excellent, accurate performance, and your pistol feels and behaves in practice and training exactly as it will in a real SD situation.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    A Couple reasons I wouldn't and didn't get a .357sig is Availability, Practicality, and Need. I got a 40S&W. I could convert it to a .357sig but I just don't see why.

Get the gun you can shoot with and hit the target. Shot placement is King, Penetration is Queen....

Their is no reason why I should not be able to cancel any threat with my 40S&W 165 grain. I did some ballistic testing of my own and found that my bullet at 10 feet did penetrate 14.5 inches.

For all intended purposes that is perfectly acceptable for me. I carry what is comfortable and maybe one day I'll get a barrel conversion kit. but my EDC will be a round that I can shoot well with, good luck... carry on!
    The point of being able to convert to different calibers isn't necessarily for SD purposes; in my case it's because I enjoy shooting more than one caliber.

Would someone expect to go through life only ever shooting one caliber? Why?

If I had my way I'd own a gun in every caliber possible--for pure shooting enjoyment. Availability isn't an issue except in some wildcat rounds, where the casings must be made from another casing, such as the .30 Herrett.

.357 Sig ammo is available; you just may have to look a little harder and buy small lots where found. Or, like I do, make my cases and reload. I'm currently making 9x18 Makarov cases from 9x19 Luger casings because it's easy. cheap, and 9mm Luger (Para) brass is lying all over the place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links