.38 Special Blazer

This is a discussion on .38 Special Blazer within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody have an experience with the aluminum case .38 Special Blazer? I have always been told to stay away from aluminum case ammo in ...

Thread: .38 Special Blazer

Question .38 Special Blazer

Does anybody have an experience with the aluminum case .38 Special Blazer? I have always been told to stay away from aluminum case ammo in revolvers because the case swells when fired, making them difficult to eject. Then again, I have been told to stay away from aluminum cases in autos too, but all my pistols perform flawlessly with Blazer.

Also, how soft is the bullet in the lead round nose? Should it present a problem shooting it in my 4" Taurus revolver? I like to shoot FMJ, but the price and availability of .38 right now may make this ammo the only alternative. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I've been shooting Blazer .38 special lately because a local shop finally had a decent price on something. The cases tend to swell a little but not too severely, especially with the 4" revolver and the longer ejector rod. The cases stick a little more often J frame with the shorter rod. I didn't pay much attention to the RNL bullet cause I was just punching holes in paper @ the range but I don't think your 4" Taurus should have any difficulty digesting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawboy65 View Post
    Does anybody have an experience with the aluminum case .38 Special Blazer? I have always been told to stay away from aluminum case ammo in revolvers because the case swells when fired, making them difficult to eject. Then again, I have been told to stay away from aluminum cases in autos too, but all my pistols perform flawlessly with Blazer.

Also, how soft is the bullet in the lead round nose? Should it present a problem shooting it in my 4" Taurus revolver? I like to shoot FMJ, but the price and availability of .38 right now may make this ammo the only alternative. Thanks!
    There's nothing wrong with Blazer AL cases; buy the stuff and shoot it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Agreed, nothing wrong with it. If you get it cheap and don't trust it, send it my way.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Ranges that sell brass don't like them, but they'll work fine in your revolver.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys! I am going to go ahead and order some today. Wheel guns sure are fun!!!

Definitely a step above Wolf!

Shoot it. If you like it shoot it more.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

VIP Member

Thumbs up

'Never a problem. 'Blaze' away.

.38 Special Blazer

I bought some at Sports World when they were selling 100 for 20 bucks. I have a Taurus ssul(ok beat me up), have never had a problem and have approx. 1000 rounds thru it. After 3 cylinders full the thing would lock up. Changed ammo and has never happened again. My 2 cents worth
    Stupidity on YOUR part will not necessarily constitute an emergency on MINE!

Links