+P ammo for glock

+P ammo for glock

This is a discussion on +P ammo for glock within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the world of Glock. I just bought a G22RTF and after reading the manual cover to cover, I can't find anywhere ...

Thread: +P ammo for glock

+P ammo for glock

I am new to the world of Glock. I just bought a G22RTF and after reading the manual cover to cover, I can't find anywhere if you can use +p ammo. If you can what would you recommend for a good SD round?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 28th, 2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: ammo is spelled with 2 M's.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

many guy even use +p+ ammo in them. Im sure it would reduce barrel life, but for expensive SD ammo you wont shoot that much of it.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    many guy even use +p+ ammo in them. Im sure it would reduce barrel life, but for expensive SD ammo you wont shoot that much of it.
    I would only add to try and end each shooting session with at least a couple of rounds of the hyper ammo you will actually carry.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Glocks can handle +P loads, but I have never seen +P .40 ammo, not even Cor-Bon. Standard .40 is already a high pressure load.
    Proud NRA member

thank you for your help. I know that the 40 is a hotter round. Just dont want to damage my addition to my family. I understand that glocks are indistrucable but I dont want to cause undue damage.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

There is, for all intents and purposes, no such thing as .40+P, or .40 +P+ (well, OK, there is...but it's called 10mm, and won't work in a G22...).

There are some companies out there that market .40+P rounds...but, since there is no SAAMI spec for .40 S&W+P, the manufacturers who claim to make it can call anything they want .40 +P.

Add in that .40 is pretty much at the top of it's safe pressure in a normal load...I'd avoid .40+P like the plague.

As for the 9mm and .45 Glocks, though...+P and +P+ are just peachy through 'em; My G17 loves Ranger 127+P+.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    thank you for your help. I know that the 40 is a hotter round. Just dont want to damage my addition to my family. I understand that glocks are indistrucable but I dont want to cause undue damage.
    Wrong, they can and have been destructed. Unfortunately, it is usually the .40 thats been reloaded way too hot ( compressed charge )use common sense and you'll be fine.

Federal HST;s or Hydra Shoks are about as much as I want to hang on to in my G27.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If you have ever fired 9mm nato in a pistol, you will know it is hotter than anything you will normally find off the shelf. The glocks eat this stuff up, and actually thrive on it. Don't worry about hurting your g22, as it will probably outlast you.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Glocks can handle +P loads, but I have never seen +P .40 ammo, not even Cor-Bon. Standard .40 is already a high pressure load.
    Exactly.
    Nothing wrong with running +P ammo through your Glock. As with any other pistol, running a steady diet of +Ps will take it's toll on some of the works, and like a vehicle that's driven on dirt roads, regularly scheduled maintenance will need to coincide with the usage rather than following the OEM manufacturers generic recommendations for "normal" use. I for one couldn't afford to run the hot stuff though my pistols all of the time.....that's why there's what's called range ammo. I do carry +P loads in 9mm and occasionally in the 45acp, and I run several magazines full of my carry or carried ammo through these pistols a few times a year. That's generally not enough to take a toll over normal usage. Think of it in terms of the amount fired. Let's say for every +P round fired out of your Glock, maybe it takes the same toll as say 20-50 rounds of regular range ammo. Let's say the recommended interval for changing the recoil spring is 5k rounds on range ammo. Then if you've been shooting +P ammo extensively, one might assume that it would be wise to have your pistol checked by a certified armorer, or just simply replace the recommended item at shorter intervals such as maybe 3000-3500 rounds. Make sense?

Like me. I care for all of my firearms without a doubt. Otherwise, I wouldn't have them if I couldn't care for them. Nothing is indestructible in this world that's made by human hands, or machines programmed by humans. Where Glock meets the road is that they were built as a combat pistol. It's inception was based on landing a military contract. Remember what I said about the dirt road and vehicle maintenance? Well...........how often would you want to drive a nice Cadillac or Lincoln Towncar down a dirt road? Now....put yourself in a Dodge truck that eats dirt roads for lunch, and looks better with dried mud from front to back. Now you're talking Glock. It's what you get when you don't plan on sticking to the pavement.

CMR

Thumbs up

IIf you can what would you recommend for a good SD round?
    I have a G22 and mine likes the 180gr stuff so I stick with Federal HST's and Winchester Bonded "T".
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

I use the Buffalo Bore 9mm 124 grain +P+ loads in my Glock 19 for defense, I also use the Remington Golden Sabre 124 grain +P as well. I use standard pressure ammo for practice with a few of the hotter loads thrown in every now and then. Just watch your round count and change the recoil spring as Ramrod suggests.

For .40 cal I think Corbon's 135 grain JHP would be a good one.
    Last edited by crzy4guns; March 30th, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
    God bless our troops!

Sponsored Links