Best 9mm home defense ammo - Page 2

Best 9mm home defense ammo

This is a discussion on Best 9mm home defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm using Cor-Bon 115 grain +P out of my Glock 17 these days. Cycles fine, accurate, & makes a big enough hole when it hits ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I'm using Cor-Bon 115 grain +P out of my Glock 17 these days. Cycles fine, accurate, & makes a big enough hole when it hits and expands. Try running a couple of boxes of that through your home defense gun (if it's +P rated that is) and see how you like it.

I'm also planning on picking up some of the Remington Golden Sabers 124g +P to try out this weekend. Those I can find locally in 50 round boxes, which I prefer to those tiny, anemic 20 round boxes the Cor-Bon comes in.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Any high quality hollowpoint from a reputable manufacturer.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

i would use Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr FTX bullet , u want something that will be 100 percent effective with 100 percent expansion every time . My runner up if you cant find Hornady would be Gold Dots.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

124gn Speer Gold Dot +P = Great Ammo & mt Personal choice ; ) JMO
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

"Best ammo" leaves open the one critical element: mission.

Though, you're narrowing to 9mm.

What's the purpose and function? Defense of a room in which you have a solid, ensconced position and where the door/hallway leading to the room can be well covered? Or, being surprised while you're out and about on your property? Or, needing to effectively manage when surprised inside the home, in a random room you might be in at the time?

My suggestions:

1. Best 9mm ammo for carrying on you (pistol): DoubleTap JHP 124gr +P, assuming it functions perfectly in your gun.

2. Best 9mm ammo for carrying around the property (pistol or possibly a carbine rifle in pistol caliber): Same, since it's decently powered. Though, if shooting at anything farther than 30yds away, I'd want a rifle. And that means, rifle rounds, not pistol rounds.

3. Best ammo in an ensconced position in a home, with a well-defended single point of entry? Other than 9mm --> a shotgun.

My $0.02 only.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I carry Federal LE Hi-Shok 115 grain +p+
    Last edited by Knightrider; March 31st, 2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Removed picture due to size
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Any one of these that is 100% reliable in your pistol in your hands, and shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy.

9mm

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)

Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)

Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)

Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)

Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)

Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Cor Bon 115 gr. +P gets quite a good report.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

My Beretta M9 is loaded with Winchester bonded PDX1 147 grain (cause the bullet store didnt have 124gr +p). My Kel-Tec P40 is loaded with Corbon Glaser Safety Slug 115 grain. Almost twice the energy of the 9mm. If it wasn't hard to back up in court, I'd use my own loads in my Beretta, but if I have to shoot someone, I want the court that follows to be as painless as possible.

Back on topic; I'm confident if I have to shoot someone with the PDX1 it will stop them if I do my part. In my opinion, as long as the gun goes "boom" and the bullet hits the target, it doesnt matter too much what bullet you use, just go for a well-reviewed hollow point.

AND PDX1 has a pretty box

You will have to SHOOT some premium ammo to make sure YOUR gun likes that load. Is the load reliable, accurate, low muzzle flash premium Hollow Point from a major manufacturer? I personally prefer the middle weight {124-127 gr}+P in 9mm but I have an older P-35 that I load with 147 gr non+P. Listen to your gun.

I would say get a good HP in 115-125 gr bullet weight, and definitely get a +p load if your pistol can handle it. The 147 gr loads are less effective and I would avoid them.

When I bought my 9mm pistol I did a lot of research and a small amount of testing. It appeared to me that Corbon DPX was the best self defense ammo, and Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P was the second best. My pistol (a Kahr CW9) would not feed the Corbon DPX reliably, so I use the Speer Gold Dots.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I use the Buffalo Bore 9mm +P+ 124 grain JHP ammunition. This one uses a flash suppressed gun powder for use in low light situations. This load is rated at around 1300 FPS and 461 FPE.
    Just playing devils advocate here, but wouldnt rocking a +p+ round for a home defense situation be counter intuitive? A 9mm going off indoors is ear shattering enough. A +p+ round going off in a bedroom for instance would be enough to make me lose my focus, even if for a second. Opinions?

Auditory exclusion

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Just playing devils advocate here, but wouldnt rocking a +p+ round for a home defense situation be counter intuitive? A 9mm going off indoors is ear shattering enough. A +p+ round going off in a bedroom for instance would be enough to make me lose my focus, even if for a second. Opinions?
    You will probably experience auditory exclusion {temporary deafness} in a real shoot along with some other fun things; time distortion, tunnel vision, loss of fine motor skills, Heart Rate 175 BPM. If you ever have the opportunity to do it in a safe way, fire a weapon from inside a confined area, seated in a car on the range with the window rolled down will do. You will be amazed at how much noise and concussion increase compared to standing out in the open on a range.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    You will probably experience auditory exclusion {temporary deafness} in a real shoot along with some other fun things; time distortion, tunnel vision, loss of fine motor skills, Heart Rate 175 BPM. If you ever have the opportunity to do it in a safe way, fire a weapon from inside a confined area, seated in a car on the range with the window rolled down will do. You will be amazed at how much noise and concussion increase compared to standing out in the open on a range.
    Oh I know I've fired off my .45 from inside a vehicle. I would imagine a +p+ 9mm would be just as painful.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links