Best 9mm home defense ammo - Page 3

Best 9mm home defense ammo

This is a discussion on Best 9mm home defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No Full Metal Jackets...go through every wall in your house....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best 9mm home defense ammo

No Full Metal Jackets...go through every wall in your house.
    Peace through superior firepower
    making our world a safer place ...

Taurus 24/7 OSS 9MM
    Millennium PT-140
    Mossberg 12 Gauge

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    You will probably experience auditory exclusion {temporary deafness} in a real shoot along with some other fun things; time distortion, tunnel vision, loss of fine motor skills, Heart Rate 175 BPM. If you ever have the opportunity to do it in a safe way, fire a weapon from inside a confined area, seated in a car on the range with the window rolled down will do. You will be amazed at how much noise and concussion increase compared to standing out in the open on a range.
    I don't know if I was carrying normal loads or +p, but I've fired my 9mm from inside my car. Yes, it was very loud.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by heffebyrdman View Post

so will any good JHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Any one of these that is 100% reliable in your pistol in your hands, and shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy.

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
    +1

I would have to agree with Cuda66. I have the the T-series for all my handguns. Berretta .40 96F, SA 1911A1 Loaded in .45 AUTO and a Walther PPK/S .380. Too bad that they don't make it in .45 Long Colt for my Judge.

Ya' know, I may be partly responsible for the shortage of that ammo. I have been buying it up like crazy from my regular suppliers. They usually give me a call when they get the rare batch.

Anyway, my vote is for the aforementioned Winchester Ranger T-series 147gr JHP (RA9T).

Just my $.02!

(not to hijack, but I believe that a handgun should be used to GET to the shotgun (Mossberg 590A1 9+1 in my case), unless, of course that isn't an option that you have available to you at the time. I keep mine proped against the headboard of the bed. )
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill
    Μολὼν λάβε ( Molōn lāve! )

The Federal HST is the best stuff I've ever seen and it's the only thing I will carry if i have a choice on it. I just went with my bro in law last week to buy his first handgun (CW9) and the first thing we did after leaving the store was visit my ammo guy and pick him up a box of fifty of the 147 gr 9mm HST.

A guy did a test of different ammo and included pictures to see for yourselves.
    Bullet results after firing

I remember a while back there being a site that tested more in depth (i can't find the link now) and it showed that the HST fired out of many different guns into many different things (wet phone book, water jug, ballistics gel, etc.) expanded fully 100% of the time and penetrated about 13" with no core separation.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Thanks for all the input! I'll keep checking back though.... Good discussion.
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Corbon DPX, 147gr HST, 147gr Ranger T Bonded.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I would say get a good HP in 115-125 gr bullet weight, and definitely get a +p load if your pistol can handle it. The 147 gr loads are less effective and I would avoid them.
    Not true at all; the premium JHP 147's are actually excellent performers.

They are, in fact, my choice (P9HST2) in my HD 9mm pistols.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Heritage. Buy an ammo that you will practice with. Although you will do more damage to the bad guy with a hollow point over a FMJ, you still have to hit your target. It's great to have a home defense weapon loaded and ready to go, but my home defense weapon goes to the range with me every chance I get. Yes, there is superior ammo out there....but when it comes right down to it your practice, coolness and readyness is way more important than what type of bullet comes out of the barrel. (Just my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Just playing devils advocate here, but wouldnt rocking a +p+ round for a home defense situation be counter intuitive? A 9mm going off indoors is ear shattering enough. A +p+ round going off in a bedroom for instance would be enough to make me lose my focus, even if for a second. Opinions?
    If I am in a situation where I must deploy deadly force to defend my life and the lives of my loved ones, I doubt that I would even hear the report of any rounds fired, +P+ or not. I will be too busy with the threat at hand to lose focus even if for a second. JMHO.
    God bless our troops!

Is there any good standard pressure (non +P) ammo for the 9mm. I'm looking for something that would shoot well in a sub-compact like the Kel Tec PF-9. Anyone shooting a good, mild, defensive round in this gun with consistant reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by Savior Sound View Post
    Is there any good standard pressure (non +P) ammo for the 9mm. I'm looking for something that would shoot well in a sub-compact like the Kel Tec PF-9. Anyone shooting a good, mild, defensive round in this gun with consistant reliability?
    Just about any of the 155gr SD ammo will do just fine. Every ammo manufacturer has something that will suit your requirements.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Never heard of 155gr 9mm JHP's by one of the major manufacturers...

And, for regular pressure 9mm, I'd recommend any of the premium 147gr loads--147 Gold Dot, HST or Ranger-T/SXT.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by heffebyrdman View Post
    So what options does one have for a 9mm or .38 special ammo for home defense if one lives in an apartment.

I've got shared walls and my neighbors have kids. I've always assumed that handguns are just a no go.

I've got a shotgun ready to go, but if I could use one of our handguns too that would be ideal.

DZ, either one of those handgun rounds will fly through at least 3-4 walls. So will the buckshot, for that matter. Any round with enough energy to penetrate to vital organs will also penetrate multiple walls.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links