Best 9mm home defense ammo - Page 4

Best 9mm home defense ammo

This is a discussion on Best 9mm home defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DZcarry So what options does one have for a 9mm or .38 special ammo for home defense if one lives in an ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 83

Thread: Best 9mm home defense ammo

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by DZcarry View Post
    So what options does one have for a 9mm or .38 special ammo for home defense if one lives in an apartment.

    I've got shared walls and my neighbors have kids. I've always assumed that handguns are just a no go.

    I've got a shotgun ready to go, but if I could use one of our handguns too that would be ideal.
    Well, the problem is this: any round that will penetrate deep enough into a bad guy to reliably give a stopping wound is going to go through apartment walls (plural), period.

    Don't believe the Glaser, XXXtreemshok, etc hype. These are horrible choices for defense.

    So, I'd recommend a quality hollowpoint round that functions well and is accurate out of your pistol. If such a round should exit a bad guy, the odds are the energy will be spent to the point it won't penetrate a wall.

    Misses, of course, are another matter...but then, it really doesn't matter what you are shooting.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  2. #47
    Senior Member Array hayzor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    818
    I carry 115 grain FMJ's. 100% reliable in my XD.
    I spend my time and money on training & practice rather that the "best" ammo. Someday I'll probably upgrade to a hollowpoint of some kind, but its going to take time & money to make sure it runs flawless in my gun.
    For now, I concentrate on the basics of gun handling, drawing from concealement, shot placement, SA, etc. I think those issues will pay much higher dividends if the SHTF.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

    "People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

  3. #48
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I carry 115 grain FMJ's. 100% reliable in my XD.
    I spend my time and money on training & practice rather that the "best" ammo. Someday I'll probably upgrade to a hollowpoint of some kind, but its going to take time & money to make sure it runs flawless in my gun.
    For now, I concentrate on the basics of gun handling, drawing from concealement, shot placement, SA, etc. I think those issues will pay much higher dividends if the SHTF.
    Well, do what you want...but, should a "social event" occur, you'd better know darn well what's downrange well behind what you're shooting (and be cool enough to make this determination in the heat of the moment), because 9mm FMJ's are notorious for completely penetrating the bad guy and still being lethal to anyone for a considerable distance.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  4. #49
    Member Array DZcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Well, the problem is this: any round that will penetrate deep enough into a bad guy to reliably give a stopping wound is going to go through apartment walls (plural), period.

    Don't believe the Glaser, XXXtreemshok, etc hype. These are horrible choices for defense.

    So, I'd recommend a quality hollowpoint round that functions well and is accurate out of your pistol. If such a round should exit a bad guy, the odds are the energy will be spent to the point it won't penetrate a wall.

    Misses, of course, are another matter...but then, it really doesn't matter what you are shooting.
    Just as I thought. Thanks.

    I'm still going to look at my shotgun as my primary home defense weapon.

  5. #50
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by DZcarry View Post
    Just as I thought. Thanks.

    I'm still going to look at my shotgun as my primary home defense weapon.

    Well, for what it's worth, the same holds true for your shotgun; any round that can be relied on to stop a bad guy is going to go through interior walls.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  6. #51
    Member Array DZcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Well, for what it's worth, the same holds true for your shotgun; any round that can be relied on to stop a bad guy is going to go through interior walls.
    Well, I don't use 00 shot like most people recommend. I use #4 shot. Enough to stop then at close range and less penetrating then 00 shot. Once I'm in m own home I'll use 00 shot until then it's #4 for me.

  7. #52
    VIP Member Array Majorlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Naugatuck, CT
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by HuttoAg96 View Post
    DZ, either one of those handgun rounds will fly through at least 3-4 walls. So will the buckshot, for that matter. Any round with enough energy to penetrate to vital organs will also penetrate multiple walls.
    Yes. There really is no such thing as a "wall-safe" round that will also do any real damage to an assailant.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

  8. #53
    Senior Member Array 380ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Posts
    574
    I really wouldn't recommend 9mm for home defense, even though I carry it and feel comfortable with it, in your own home you aren't restricted by the conditions that have you relying on a handgun caliber. Shotgun is where it's at.

    However, I like Hornady Critical Defense. Specially designed to be able to penetrate through thick clothing but expand on impact. It'll do it's job if you do yours. It's what I carry in my 9mm.
    .
    .
    .
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

  9. #54
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    31,335
    Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    I really wouldn't recommend 9mm for home defense, even though I carry it and feel comfortable with it, in your own home you aren't restricted by the conditions that have you relying on a handgun caliber. Shotgun is where it's at.
    A shotgun has troubles around corners, and homes are full of those. A pistol gets around that little pickle.

    Though, granted, guarding a room, covering a hallway, or at some distance protecting against multiple intruders, a shotgun can be invaluable. I've got one, but I don't presume to think it'll be what I first pick up or get to upon the instant of an invasion into my home. Fine idea, but it's not very likely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  10. #55
    Member Array 9mmPro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    259
    Cor Bon 125 gr +p is very good also , i ordered a box and i am very impressed with it i have it in my Ruger SR9 and the CD in my spare mag.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

  11. #56
    Senior Member Array dripster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    647
    For me I have the Glock 23 loaded to max, then the 19 loaded to max, then a chiefs special loaded to max, followed by the shotgun alternating 00buck and 1oz slug again loaded to max.
    One more step and it's on!

  12. #57
    Member Array aedinius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    352
    In my 9mm I have Hornady FTX.

    Somewhat related: .40S&W is Federal LE Hydra Shok, 357SIG is Speer Gold Dot.
    Knowing is half the battle.

  13. #58
    Member Array Savior Sound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    241
    I saw Federal Hi-shock LE JHP 115 grain for less $20 for a box of 50 at CTD. Anybody shoot these. Seems like a good round that I could afford to buy to insure reliability by shooting a bunch of it in all of my 9's.

  14. #59
    Member Array heritage1865's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Savior Sound View Post
    I saw Federal Hi-shock LE JHP 115 grain for less $20 for a box of 50 at CTD. Anybody shoot these. Seems like a good round that I could afford to buy to insure reliability by shooting a bunch of it in all of my 9's.
    I'm going to try some out tomorrow. Will let you know...
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

  15. #60
    Member Array 55spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    31
    Federal HST

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. HD Ultimate Home Defense Ammo
    By ksholder in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 3rd, 2010, 10:01 AM
  2. Home Defense ammo?
    By bryman in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2009, 05:47 AM
  3. What 45 caliber ammo for home defense?
    By Sneaky in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: June 12th, 2009, 05:30 PM
  4. Home Defense Ammo
    By ront in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
  5. Rem 870 Express - Home Defense ammo?
    By Tally XD in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: February 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Search tags for this page

9mm home defense ammo

,

best 9mm ammo

,
best 9mm ammo for defense
,

best 9mm ammo for home defense

,

best 9mm defense ammo

,
best 9mm defense round
,

best 9mm home defense ammo

,

best 9mm home defense round

,

best home defense 9mm ammo

,
best home defense ammo 9mm
,

cz 95

,
cz95
Click on a term to search for related topics.