Best 9mm home defense ammo - Page 5

Best 9mm home defense ammo

This is a discussion on Best 9mm home defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Savior Sound I saw Federal Hi-shock LE JHP 115 grain for less $20 for a box of 50 at CTD. Anybody shoot ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best 9mm home defense ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Savior Sound View Post
    I saw Federal Hi-shock LE JHP 115 grain for less $20 for a box of 50 at CTD. Anybody shoot these. Seems like a good round that I could afford to buy to insure reliability by shooting a bunch of it in all of my 9's.
    It's a very good round and my issued duty load.

It's been putting BG's down for years. While it may be old technology, it works. I'm a believer in, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The Federal 9BP ain't broke, so it don't need fixin'.

Biker

To add more insult to the "lack of injury", any 230 gr. in .45 cal and a boat load of training. Don't forget the Streamlight for your night time enjoyment.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Any one of these that is 100% reliable in your pistol in your hands, and shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy.

9mm

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)

Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)

Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)

Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)

Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)

Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

In a thread full of horrible info, a beacon of sanity. Anyone who is interested in terminal ballistics should read DocGKR's posts on M4c.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    It's a very good round and my issued duty load.

It's been putting BG's down for years. While it may be old technology, it works. I'm a believer in, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The Federal 9BP ain't broke, so it don't need fixin'.

Biker
    Only problem is Hydrashok is broke. It doesn't expand reliably when encountering heavy clothing or drywall. Other, newer designs do.

Posted this on another thread
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Here are the links I posted on another thread. Federal HST by far out performed every other bullet I have seen and studied. No matter what they are shot through or into they are the most consistent performing and expanding round available.
    This first set are downloadable PDF files. In the spirit of full disclosure these test were conducted by LEO at the indicated LEO facilities. The participating ammo manufactures supplied the ammo and sponsored the tests. These files/ reports are provided by Federal from their website. Because they were done at LEO facilities by LEO with competing manufactures present I think that these test results are unbiased accurate and objective. As it turned out these results are pretty much the same as the low tech water jug and wet newspaper tests I did on my own.

Los Angeles County - California
    Riverside - California
    Santa Clara - California
    Fresno County - California
    Kern County - California
    Sacramento County - California
    San Angelo - Texas
    Pierce County Workshop - Washington
    San Diego County Workshop - California
    Portland Police Bureau - Oregon

The following are links to pages with pics from a two different sites
    ballistics testing - round 1 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 2 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 3 - varied 9mm JHP's - shooting through tshirts
    ballistics testing - round 5 - comparing 9mm JHP velocities
    ballistics testing - round 6 - Federal HST 9mm vs 45 acp
    ballistics testing - round 7 - shooting through denim - 9 mm, 45 acp, and 357 magnum

Terminal Ballistics .45 ACP
    Terminal Ballistics 9mm

There is also a rather informative thread here with pics at Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics

Below is a pic of my rather meager example of HST compared to some other common SD ammunition
    Hope that is helpful.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Federal EFMJ's and a few grand worth of practice at the range

LongRider, that's a great post. Many thanks. Adding it to the library of links.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've been using PMC Starfires, 124g Jacketed HP's where I shoot. They feed and function great through my Glock and Taurus pistols.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zillah View Post
    Federal EFMJ's and a few grand worth of practice at the range
    From the AR15 ammo faq, another excellent resource: "Some people like the Federal EFMJ since it's a "FMJ" design that is supposed to expand. While it does decrease feeding issues somewhat due to its shape, there's also a high failure rate in the neighborhood of 20% when it comes to reliable expansion. The other negative for this bullet is that it lacks sharp edges which slice though tissue and make a larger permanent cavity than a more rounded profile which tends to push tissue out of the way only to have it return to its original shape. Some pictures of Dr. Roberts results:"

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    i would use Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr FTX bullet , u want something that will be 100 percent effective with 100 percent expansion every time . My runner up if you cant find Hornady would be Gold Dots.
    Thats what I use.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    LongRider, that's a great post. Many thanks. Adding it to the library of links.
    You are most welcome. That first set of links. The LEO reports are PDF files that will download to your disk. The rest are pages of pics of the HST compared other popular SD ammo. Glad they are helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    "Some people like the Federal EFMJ since it's a "FMJ" design that is supposed to expand. While it does decrease feeding issues somewhat due to its shape, there's also a high failure rate in the neighborhood of 20% when it comes to reliable expansion.
    In my mind 20% failure to expand properly is huge. Totally unacceptable for a SD round. When my life is on the line or more importantly the lives of my loved ones are at risk anything less than 100% unacceptable. Last thing I want in a life and death scenario is to be wondering if the round I am firing will be accurate, penetrate properly or expand as it should.
    That is the reason that I like HST so much no matter what I have shot it into or through it expands to the size of a quarter with those six wicked petals

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    In my mind 20% failure to expand properly is huge. Totally unacceptable for a SD round.
    Yup.

Imagine ... 20%. That means, one in five bullets is simply going to anger a well-trained attacker. It's not going to stop him at all, other than if that little bullet strikes the spinal column. That's not good enough. Far better to have each bullet take out a handspan's worth of damage through vital organs, each and every one of them. Far better, if you want to survive a deadly, violent attack.

I've got a defensive pistol that's been experiencing 20% rate of failure to cycle properly. It's at the manufacturer getting corrected, but so far it has been little more than a door stop. It's supposed to be a defensive firearm. But that's what 20% has meant.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The only way I'd use the EFMJ is if I lived somewhere that banned the carry of HP. I've heard people saying they like them because they feed more reliably, but it's freakin 2010. If your carry piece can't cycle HP's, maybe look at a new carry piece.

Quote Originally Posted by DZcarry View Post
    So what options does one have for a 9mm or .38 special ammo for home defense if one lives in an apartment.

I've got shared walls and my neighbors have kids. I've always assumed that handguns are just a no go.

I've got a shotgun ready to go, but if I could use one of our handguns too that would be ideal.
    Any good defensive pistol ammo will almost certainly penetrate multiple layers of drywall, so if you don't hit a stud (or two) it doesn't much matter. Several years ago, I had an old building on my property that I was planning on tearing down. Since I live way out in the country, I thought it would be fun to test some pistol ammo on it beforehand. I loaded up some Cor-Bon 115gr+P JHP (Sierra bullets) in a Browning Hi-Power, since those bullets are pretty frangible and run at 1425fps. from that particular BHP. The load penetrated wood siding, thin insulation, drywall, drywall, drywall, drywall, drywall, drywall, thin insulation, wood siding, and kept on trucking. All holes were about 9mm diameter. Zero expansion, zero fragmentation. How to avoid? Hit the bad guy; flesh does a much better job of promoting expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Any high quality hollowpoint from a reputable manufacturer.
    Yep.

In my book reputable includes, but isn't necessarily limited to:

Federal HST
    Speer Gold Dot
    Winchester Ranger
    Remington Golden Saber

Choose the weight and pressure that floats your boat. They all work about the same. In very short barrels, heavier bullets have a tiny advantage.

FYI, when I carry 9mm, I use either Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P or Winchester Ranger 147gr (RA9T). I'd take Federal HST 147gr over either of those, but it's not enough of a difference to wait a year for the ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    FYI, when I carry 9mm, I use either Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P or Winchester Ranger 147gr (RA9T). I'd take Federal HST 147gr over either of those, but it's not enough of a difference to wait a year for the ammunition.
    Hopefully you have far better results with the Ranger T's than I have had. testing in three calibers .380, 9mm and .45 gave me extremely disappointing results. That I would not rely on in a SD scenario. They often separated had poor penetration and had minimal expansion never ever having the famed "talons" just small hollow point mushrooms that can be gotten off of any generic hollow point ammo. Old school wad cutters provide a larger wound track.
    I strongly suggest that you test your SD ammo at least 200 rounds out of your carry gun. test for reliability, accuracy, penetration and expansion through and into a variety of materials denim, plywood and glass. I honestly hope that the Ranger T results are far better out of your gun than they were out of mine.
    I sent over a thousand dollars worth of Rangers down range as practice ammo the results were so bad. I should have saved some to give to the BG to load his gun with in case one ever wanted to shoot me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links