Best 9mm home defense ammo - Page 6

Best 9mm home defense ammo

This is a discussion on Best 9mm home defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, let me just say this is my first post/reply! I attached a pic of what I believe the best 9mm defense are ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Here is what i use...

First of all, let me just say this is my first post/reply!
    I attached a pic of what I believe the best 9mm defense are FOR ME. All of these rounds are:
    -From a reputable manufacturer...
    -Work/Feed well through my Glock 19...
    -Have shot at least 150 rounds of each...
    -Have good velocity and energy...
    -Make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

Do I know if they will save my butt someday? I hope so! But until that time comes(hopefully never), I am confident that I have good ammo, a good firearm.
    The rest is up to me.....
    Attached Images
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

CORBON AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

125 gr +p is a proven round for 1 shot stopping power.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    CORBON AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

125 gr +p is a proven round for 1 shot stopping power.
    There is no such thing as a "Proven one-shot stopper" in any handgun caliber.

If you honestly believe this, you do yourself a grave disservice.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I am relatively new to ccw and have been lurking the site for quite some time and have just started posting and found alot of the replies in this thread a great insight but can someone explain to me some of the terminology and abbreviations being used? Fmj, Efmj, hst etc.? Also, can someone offer me greater insight into the different weights of ammo for SD and why one would choose the heavier vs. lighter and vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
    I am relatively new to ccw and have been lurking the site for quite some time and have just started posting and found alot of the replies in this thread a great insight but can someone explain to me some of the terminology and abbreviations being used? Fmj, Efmj, hst etc.? Also, can someone offer me greater insight into the different weights of ammo for SD and why one would choose the heavier vs. lighter and vice versa?
    Lessee I think I can do this: FMJ = Full Metal Jacket, JHP = Jacketed Hollow Point - most of the others are proprietary, manufacturer-specific versions of these two acronyms (usually a marketing attempt at differentiation).

As far as bullet weights are concerned, there are religious wars over this, just like over calibers in general. Some will tell you light fast bullets are the best, others that heavy slow bullets are the way to go.

The main thing is, shoot what works well in your handgun, and what you can hit with. Hits are way more important than bullet type or weight.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

So many options, so many designs, almost all will work. My favorites are below.

Federal HST 147gr or the +p variety
    Speer Gold Dot 147gr or 124gr +p
    Winchester Ranger T 127gr +p+ or 147gr
    Corbon DPX 115gr +p
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    Lessee I think I can do this: FMJ = Full Metal Jacket, JHP = Jacketed Hollow Point - most of the others are proprietary, manufacturer-specific versions of these two acronyms (usually a marketing attempt at differentiation).
    Correct both are Federal proprietary product names EFMJ's are Federals Expanding Full Metal Jacket shown in post #68 designed to circumvent some hollow points tendency to fill up with material that prevents expansion a good concept but reputed by some to be unreliable as discussed above. Same with the Federal HST name. I have no idea what HST stands for but is shown in post #64. My Avatar is a colorized expanded HST round IMO the best SD made 100% reliable, consistently expanding to the size of a quarter with those six wicked petals no matter what it is shot through or into. Holding one imagining being hit by one makes my skin crawl. It is the very handgun round on earth I would want to be shot with. Hope the BG feel the same way because that is what I carry.
    Didn't ask but +P stands for higher pressure used to create higher velocity. Generally out of shorter barreled weapons. The bullet weight comment is also spot on. I am of the slow and heavy school of thought. Which is why I carry a XD.45 loaded with 230gr. HST. Others believe that lighter faster bullets are more effective. My understanding is that smaller calibers may benefit from the lighter bullets providing higher velocity deeper penetration and better expansion.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Thank you for all the clarifications! I bought a Glock 26 and am looking to stock up on ammo for the range and defense this week and am going to look into the HST like you recommend. This thread has been very helpful

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links