Defensive Carry Ballistic help

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry Ballistic help within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey folks, I was wondering of the .40 carrying people out there, who carries a M&P40. I'm trying to determine which round I should be ...

Thread: Defensive Carry Ballistic help

hey folks, I was wondering of the .40 carrying people out there, who carries a M&P40. I'm trying to determine which round I should be using for max efficiency and stopping power. I normally carry 180gr LE hydra shocks, but was considering the 165gr rounds, once I use up my HS rounds I plan to purchase the LE HST rounds to carry. I'm just unsure on what grain I should use based off of the gun alone.

Thanks
    Daily Carry:M&P 40/CRKT M16-14M

Custom AR-15, multiple calibers and lengths
    .22lr, 9mm, 5.56, 6.5grendel, .50 beowulf
    gsg-5pk, fun range plinker

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Ammo is a personal decision much like what gun or what caliber you choose to carry. Quality ammo is pretty much good stuff, in any major brand.
    Try a few of each you're considering. As long as it feed well and feels good in your hand you'll be fine.
    I don't have a .40S&W, yet but I hope too soon.
    For my snub nose .38spl I carry Federal Nyclad 125 gr.
    My K-frame revolver is loaded with Super Vel .38 spl
    My L-frame revolver is loaded with Federal 125 gr.personal defense ammo.
    The 1911 is carried with Cor-bon Powerball .45ACP
    If it cycles well for you and you're comfortable firing it, any brand or grain weight is the one I would choose.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

You don't necessarily pick ammo to fit the gun. You pick it to do the job you want it to do. Bottom line - is it accurate and reliable in your gun? There isn't much difference in all the top line ammo - it's all good stuff.

Stopping power? You've been reading too many "True Crime" magazines. No, I repeat NO handgun caliber/ammo is a reliable "stopper" Shot placement is EVERYTHING. A .50 S&W won't stop anything if you can't hit it.

Now, personally, I like Corbon DPX. Check the ballistics. If you get 10 other replies, you'll probably get 10 different answers.

Oh, my carry weapon? Steyr S40.

never heard of that magazine, lol, I picked up 180 because that's what we had, been shooting it ever since, seems accurate and reliable. my problem is internet influence, I see people talking about how the short barrels like certain grains and what not. guess I will stick with my 180gr when I grab the HSTs. eh, might even get a box of each to see how they cycle in comparison. was hoping to just make a single request for ammo :)

I was trying to be funny. Glad you took it the right way. The problem in short barrels is to get all the powder burned by the time the bullet leaves the muzzle. A heavier bullet is harder to accelerate quickly than a lighter one. Speer and Hornady are making some good ammo for shorter barrels in the "Short Barrel" and "Critical Defense", respectively. You might be arguing only a few FPS difference, but with a handgun, you need every advantage you can get.

There's a lot of good info on the 'Net. There's a lot of BS, too. You gotta filter it out.

HST is a good round and a lot of people carry it. As you mention, if it shoots accurately and cycles reliably...that's two BIG criteria right there.

I'm not sure my 4.25" qualifies as short, but I will definitely keep that in mind, I should be able to go to the range this weekend, if I get some HST by then, I'll investigate.

I think 4" is the "break point". Anything less is "short".

In the 40 S&W, I carry a Glock 23 and/or Glock 27. I haven't yet subscribed to the marketing of the short barrel ammo. It may fill a niche, but what that niche is I'm unsure. Range ammo for me is usually 180gr, and my carry ammo spans the 155-165gr range in a variety of brands. everything seems to work well in my 40 cal Glocks, compact and sub-compact. My 9mm Glocks and me really like to see the Speer GDHPs in 124gr+P...just a long time favorite I guess. Most of the predominant personal defense ammo is going to work for what's intended so long as you do your part. I simply don't see any need in seeking out specialized ammunition based on the current market tactics and what's new. Realize that I've been actively shooting for some 25+ years, and carrying for 10, and sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Then again, a lot of very small pistols have come out since the day, and technology and the evolution seem to move forward rather quickly these days compared to before. The main focus remains the same though.......create a special circumstance, create a product for it, talk it up in every media possible, then sell it to the masses like they need it....then they'll want it, and then it will sell. How did we stick with the tried and true back in the day with less confusion? We didn't have the internet as one of those media venues back then. Now, the sky is the limit, and it's all about money and sales.

My .40 is a Taurus PT140. I have some Speer Lawman 165g range ammo, but most of my plinking loads are my personal handloads: 155g Berry plated over HS-6 or Unique.

For serious carry I have 1k of 155g HydraShok that came from an FBI order overrun and a couple hundred rounds of 180g Winchester PDX-1. I haven't decided which one I like best, yet.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I like in this order, 1 Remington Golden Saber 165 grn, 2 federal 155 grn hydroshocks, 3 Double Tap Ammo in 135-155 grn loadings. I have chronographed all of these and they are all up to speed[no pun intended], with Double Tap being the hottest.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I Carry a M&P40 and use Winchester Range T-Series 165 Grain JHP.... I shot one at some ballistic targets... (milk jugs filled with water) and it mushroomed nicely... it went about 16 to 17 inches.... I was shooting at 7-10feet... I feel very confident if I were every in a tight spot
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Sponsored Links