Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX 9mm

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you go to KTOG forum you will find many comments, particularly on the 380 calibre where FTF was clearly a problem....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX 9mm

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    If you go to KTOG forum you will find many comments, particularly on the 380 calibre where FTF was clearly a problem.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    This is something I copied from another person's Email.

You can view it in the Stopping Power section at: StoppingPower.net Forums - Stopping Power

I'm inclined to believe the person that posted the answer, judging from previous post.

Other than using it in New Jersey I personally wouldn't be inclined to use/carry this ammo due to it's cost. I train with what I carry, and the Critical Defense load is too costly to train with. I can't say the same about the XTP load though.

Biker

Thank you.

That is the first time I've ever seen someone come up with an answer to anything related to NJ that wasn't made up on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Orygun2 View Post
    Next time I have a shootout with 10 armed bikers at their hideout I'll have different ammo.
    Wow.

That was an inteligent response.

Seeing as the bikers I know personally all have heavy military, or mma/combat shooting sports backgrounds, good luck with that...

However, I was thinking something more along the point of what happens if in a stop and rob incident at 7/11 goes bad, you need to shoot someone and you don't have a clear angle on them because they are partially obscured by an intermediate barrier of wood or metal...like the corner of the coffee island or the checkout counter.

You can try for a shot to an unobstructed area...or you can realize that if the person's right hand with a gun is peaking out from the cover, he's probably behind it, and having a Ranger Talon/Gold Dot/XTP in the gun will make short work of the consealment, then perform effectively on the bad guy.

But thinking of that would require you to not be taken in by Hornady's slick marketing.

Pardon me for assuming you could make an inteligent decission as to your ammunition unassisted by companies who want to sell you something.

Pssssst MitchellCT.

There is a reason they have an "ignore" feature.

It works wonders for the forum. You can "pre-select" people that have a previous history of not being inteligent and by "pre-selecting" them and adding them to your "ignore" feature you will not waste time seeing their drivel.

I'm just saying ya' know.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Wow.

That was an inteligent response.

Seeing as the bikers I know personally all have heavy military, or mma/combat shooting sports backgrounds, good luck with that...

However, I was thinking something more along the point of what happens if in a stop and rob incident at 7/11 goes bad, you need to shoot someone and you don't have a clear angle on them because they are partially obscured by an intermediate barrier of wood or metal...like the corner of the coffee island or the checkout counter.

You can try for a shot to an unobstructed area...or you can realize that if the person's right hand with a gun is peaking out from the cover, he's probably behind it, and having a Ranger Talon/Gold Dot/XTP in the gun will make short work of the consealment, then perform effectively on the bad guy.

But thinking of that would require you to not be taken in by Hornady's slick marketing.

Pardon me for assuming you could make an inteligent decission as to your ammunition unassisted by companies who want to sell you something.

Wow, so sorry if you get your sensitive feelings hurt when people post a comment you don't agree with. This isn't a MENSA message board, nor am I running for office; so I couldn't care less whether you think that was a stupid comment or not. Further if you're going to call people out for being dumb you may want to learn to spell the word intelligent and decision.

M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

Pssssst MitchellCT.

There is a reason they have an "ignore" feature.

It works wonders for the forum. You can "pre-select" people that have a previous history of not being inteligent and by "pre-selecting" them and adding them to your "ignore" feature you will not waste time seeing their drivel.

I'm just saying ya' know.

Biker
    He ignores me because I got tired of his arrogant tone and told him so. I always ignore people I don't agree with too, it makes me feel a lot better about myself.
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by Orygun2 View Post
    He ignores me because I got tired of his arrogant tone and told him so. I always ignore people I don't agree with too, it makes me feel a lot better about myself.
    No, I ignore you because of argumentative post and your illogical postings that are often times based in fantasy and not reality.

You really aren't that important to me that I care what you think. Now back to the "Ignore" feature.

Biker

No, I ignore you because of argumentative post and your illogical postings that are often times based in fantasy and not reality.

You really aren't that important to me that I care what you think. Now back to the "Ignore" feature.

Biker
    But here you are arguing with me again, so you do care about what I think on some level. But that's okay biker, everybody can be insecure sometimes.
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

I like the Crit. Def. in both my PM9 and my LCP, function flawlessly.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I'd like to bring this up again. I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammunition not because of any marketing but because I was led to believe that it was excellent defense ammunition from people that I trust. As far as them being able to penetrate cover, I gotta say that if I don't have a clear shot, I'm not likely to take it. I've seen real world tests of how that can significantly alter a bullet's trajectory. I don't ever want to get caught in a situation where I put a bullet in something I didn't intend to.

But I'm curious as to why, particularly you MitchellCT, feel this is a poorly performing round? Links or statistics would be great.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    I'd like to bring this up again. I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammunition not because of any marketing but because I was led to believe that it was excellent defense ammunition from people that I trust. As far as them being able to penetrate cover, I gotta say that if I don't have a clear shot, I'm not likely to take it. I've seen real world tests of how that can significantly alter a bullet's trajectory. I don't ever want to get caught in a situation where I put a bullet in something I didn't intend to.

But I'm curious as to why, particularly you MitchellCT, feel this is a poorly performing round? Links or statistics would be great.
    I admit to liking the Hornady CD ads also, and the only reason I haven't been carrying it in my SW 3913 is that my gun really prefers 124gr ammo - with anything else it doesn't really shoot to point of aim. I did wonder about the penetration, since the CD isn't +P, and is light weight. I'm tempted to carry 147gr, but haven't really experimented enough with it to see how it shoots in my pistol.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Forgive me if this is a dead horse already here, but if I'm shooting *through* cover, one of the following problems needs to be addressed in my opinion:

1. I need to re-evaluate whether I should actually be shooting.

2. If I can shoot through my cover, so can he and I need to find better cover quick, fast and in a hurry.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I use it in my CW9, because it shoots consistently, no failures. I had a ftfeed with a speer gold dot, so now I use them in my Glocks, and Hornady C.D. in my CW9.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links