Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX 9mm

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have fired over 150 rounds of this ammo through my XD9SC and it feeds reliably. Anyone have any other input about this ammo as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX 9mm

Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX 9mm

I have fired over 150 rounds of this ammo through my XD9SC and it feeds reliably.

Anyone have any other input about this ammo as a self defense round?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

I'd like to be able to find 150 rounds of good premium SD ammo, is this an April Fool's day joke?

Actually, I want to try some in my Uzi and a MAC, always nice to have good defense ammo that feeds in guns that cycle a little rough like those. Seems like the design would feed pretty well in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I'd like to be able to find 150 rounds of good premium SD ammo, is this an April Fool's day joke?

Actually, I want to try some in my Uzi and a MAC, always nice to have good defense ammo that feeds in guns that cycle a little rough like those. Seems like the design would feed pretty well in anything.
    I bought 200 rounds of it form the gunshow that was recently here in Goldsboro, NC.

I have always been partial to Federal HST but have heard good things about the Hornady Critical Defense.

If you are looking for hard to find ammo you could always buy online. I do that a lot because it is hard to find SD ammo in a small town like the one I live in.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    My XD9sc feeds it reliably as well. It is my carry round of choice.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    My XD9sc feeds it reliably as well. It is my carry round of choice.
    +1 same here........
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    Anyone have any other input about this ammo as a self defense round?
    Other than how you have fallen for good marketing and sunk money into an ammunition specifically designed not to perform to FBI & IWBA standards for terminal effectiveness...

Meaning that if things go bad, you are praying they will really not go that bad, and you get that unobstructed, frontal chest shot against an opponent who is not using cover...because if you get an opponent who has bladed his body to you, or is using light cover such as a car door or a corner of a car, or a vehicle door to hide from you as he shoot at you, your ammo is specifically designed NOT to be able to defeat this barrier and to perform effectively after encountering it.

Hornady did a great marketing job, and I suppose it's good that those taken in with it are going to be using less effective ammo, as I don't want people who insist on ignoring all that scientific data gathered for the past 30 something years running around carrying ammunition that's designed to do real work.

Other than that...no.

The boxes sure are pretty and the you-tube adds are great. They also expand really well in water jugs shot in the back yard and in wet newspaper, which as we all know are the best, most reliable, scientific test for determining bullet effectiveness.

Hornady Critical Defense. We are just like Extreme Shock...only we have the backing of an actual, established ammunition company behind us so people believe our BS.

Want an Hornady handgun product? I got three letters for you: X-T-P

Accurate as all hell. Expands. Goes deep. Made to FBI/IWBA standards.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    And it's actually legal for carry in the great state of New Jersey along with Powerball and EFMJ. If New Jersey endorses it it's good enough for me! Ha

Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot & Winchester Ranger (127gr+p+ & 147gr) we all $25/50 rounds at the last gun show I went to.

That's less expensive than Critical Defense per box, more ammo per box, and all those rounds are actually made to do the bad-bad-nasty-bad thing to people when you need it under BAD situations.

Critical Defense...you are kinda hoping for a not so bad situation were you have to shoot people.

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    And it's actually legal for carry in the great state of New Jersey along with Powerball and EFMJ. If New Jersey endorses it it's good enough for me! Ha
    Have you got facts to back that one up?

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Glad to hear your reports that it feeds well in the XD9sc. I passed some up at a local gun shop about a year ago and haven't seen it since. I'll keep looking.

Hornady Critical Defense is what I carry in my snubby.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

According to local LEOs who have seen what it does when it hits BGs, it does exactly what it says it does. Penetrate heavy clothing and expand. At my local shop, all of the LEOs are carrying it in their personal carry weapons. That's scientific enough for me. I've got it in my 709 9mm and my 38 snub. I carry gold dot in my snub .357 Magnum (not too concerned with penetration in that round).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I use those and the new .357 mag round in my glocks[9mm] and in my Ruger Revolvers in .357 mag cal. richgp100z

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Other than how you have fallen for good marketing and sunk money into an ammunition specifically designed not to perform to FBI & IWBA standards for terminal effectiveness...

Meaning that if things go bad, you are praying they will really not go that bad, and you get that unobstructed, frontal chest shot against an opponent who is not using cover...because if you get an opponent who has bladed his body to you, or is using light cover such as a car door or a corner of a car, or a vehicle door to hide from you as he shoot at you, your ammo is specifically designed NOT to be able to defeat this barrier and to perform effectively after encountering it.

Hornady did a great marketing job, and I suppose it's good that those taken in with it are going to be using less effective ammo, as I don't want people who insist on ignoring all that scientific data gathered for the past 30 something years running around carrying ammunition that's designed to do real work.

Other than that...no.

The boxes sure are pretty and the you-tube adds are great. They also expand really well in water jugs shot in the back yard and in wet newspaper, which as we all know are the best, most reliable, scientific test for determining bullet effectiveness.

Hornady Critical Defense. We are just like Extreme Shock...only we have the backing of an actual, established ammunition company behind us so people believe our BS.

Next time I have a shootout with 10 armed bikers at their hideout I'll have different ammo.
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

Have you got facts to back that one up?
    This is something I copied from another person's Email.

As per state statute, based on the reason for your visit (vacation), and as you will not be engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S. 2C:39-6, you are prohibited from carrying hollow point ammunition in your handgun while in New Jersey.

Be advised that the Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners (A.F.T.E.)define “hollow point” as “a bullet with a cavity in the nose to facilitate expansion.” According to the New Jersey State Police Ballistics Unit, three alternative rounds to a hollow point are identified by the Ballistics Unit as follows:

Hornady Critical Defense
    Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket
    Corbon / Glaser PowR Ball

You can view it in the Stopping Power section at: StoppingPower.net Forums - Stopping Power

I'm inclined to believe the person that posted the answer, judging from previous post.

Other than using it in New Jersey I personally wouldn't be inclined to use/carry this ammo due to it's cost. I train with what I carry, and the Critical Defense load is too costly to train with. I can't say the same about the XTP load though.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; April 2nd, 2010 at 05:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Other than that...no.

so you're saying their 158 grain XTP bullets are good to go then for my .357 mag? :-D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links