Sorry if this is a repeat

This is a discussion on Sorry if this is a repeat within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings to all! I currently carry a Glock 23 and was wondering, what is the best/legal round to use? Right now I have Hydroshock and ...

Thread: Sorry if this is a repeat

Sorry if this is a repeat

Greetings to all! I currently carry a Glock 23 and was wondering, what is the best/legal round to use? Right now I have Hydroshock and wonder if that is too much power. Is there any other .40 round that I should carry? I am open to suggestions.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

If the HydraShoks are 100% reliable in your Glock, and shoot with what you consider acceptible accuracy, and you can control them in rapid fire, they'll do fine.

Are they the best round out there? Well, they're 20 year old technology and have been surpassed by newer designs...

40 S&W

Barnes all-copper bullets (140 & 155gr) loaded by: Cor-Bon (DPX40140)

Winchester Ranger 180gr JHP (RA40T)

Winchester Ranger 165gr JHP (RA40TA)

Winchester Partition Gold 165gr JHP (RA401P)

Winchester Bonded 180gr JHP (Q4355)

Speer Gold Dot 155gr JHP (53961)

Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP (53962)

Federal Tactical 165gr JHP (LE40T3)

Federal Tactical 180gr JHP (LE40T1)

Federal HST 180gr JHP (P40HST1)

Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)

So, in short, if they work in your pistol, the HydraShoks probably do fine; if you want to stoke your Glock with the latest and greatest, try some of the above mentioned loads...just remember to run a few mags through your pistol to see if it (and you) like them before deciding they're good enough to rely on.

And no, it is absolutely not too powerful.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineGlock View Post
    Greetings to all! I currently carry a Glock 23 and was wondering, what is the best/legal round to use? Right now I have Hydroshock and wonder if that is too much power. Is there any other .40 round that I should carry? I am open to suggestions.
    No such thing as "too much power" when considering a self defense round. All, or most, production ammunition is tested and is good to go in most any case. Hand/home loaded ammunition can be different in that it may not be consistent and could malfunction.

If you are concerned with "legal" issues with name brand hollow point ammo, there should be none. Law Enforcement agencies have used Federal HydraShok for years and is considered a good safe choice.

As to HydraShoks as a good choice, I guess they are still considered a good round, but they are old technology now. The newer hollow points have been shown to greatly out perform the Hydrashoks in nearly every aspect of penetration and expansion.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Hydra-Shoks are still fine performers on the street, and have been refined over the years. Avoid the mid-velocity 165-grain .40 Hydra-shoks, unless you are SURE they have enough power to reliably cycle your pistol.

FWIW, I use 180-grain Gold Dots, due to better local availability of the ammo, packed in the less expensive-per-round 50-round boxes. My cash-strapped employer, a PD, requires us to buy our own ammo and weapons, within guidelines. (.40 is the mandated primary duty round.) Most of my co-workers seem to be making the same choice. I could use Hydra-Shoks without losing any sleep, and used .45 Hydra-Shoks from the late 1980's to 2002 in duty and carry pistols.

I am not sure what the OP meant by "too much power." There is much to be said for using what police use, in justifiable self-defense, and more USA police use .40 than anything else. Hydra-Shok has a long track record with police.

You can't get too much power for SD. If it shoot well in your weapon, you can hit what you are aiming at, use it!

Carry what you and your gun shoot best and what's 100% reliable in your weapon. Any of the "top name" JHPs out there are good. Winchester, Hornady, Speer, Corbon, Buffalo Bore, and others.

I carry both 9mm and .40 S&W and use Corbon DPX as my first choice and Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel as my second.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Carry what you and your gun shoot best and what's 100% reliable in your weapon. Any of the "top name" JHPs out there are good. Winchester, Hornady, Speer, Corbon, Buffalo Bore, and others.

Absolutely - on both counts!

My preference in .40 S&W has been 155 gr. Hydra-Shok and 180 gr PDX-1, but I just picked up several hundred rounds of Federal 155 gr LE HST for $40/100 and am going to give them a try.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links