Heaviest 9mm ammunition...

This is a discussion on Heaviest 9mm ammunition... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone knoe the heavieat 9mm round available? I am carrying my 9mm Sig P250 on my backpacking trips. This main thing I may encounter ...

Thread: Heaviest 9mm ammunition...

Heaviest 9mm ammunition...

Does anyone knoe the heavieat 9mm round available? I am carrying my 9mm Sig P250 on my backpacking trips. This main thing I may encounter is cougars and wild hogs. I know a .357 or heavy .45 is a better choice, but right now for concealment purposes, 9mm is what I have. I am really looking for a heavy hard cast flat nose or fmj. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

2. Remove Ads

I am interested in hearing opinions, but I think I foumd my round. I just read an article where Jeff from gunblast.com went hog hunting and took down a 300 lbs hog with Etreme Shock 9mm 115gr EDP. It tore through the shoulder and penetrated 13 inches! I'm concinced.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

I know this will get into a light vs. heavy argument and I know people will chime in with "...I've killed hogs with .22's...it's all about shot placement..." comments but please, let's be realistic.

1. Extreme Shock ammo is still relatively new and still has that "mall ninja" stigma. May or may not be deserved, but I'm erring on the side of caution.

2. Go heavy. If you're carrying 9mm then go with 147gr. ammo that functions reliably in your gun. Hogs are tough, tough, tough critters. You will NOT get that perfect head-shot when you are surprised and charged. There is a HUGE difference between hunting hogs and protecting yourself from a sudden, unexpected hog attack (or ANY attack for that matter; animal or human)

3. You need penetration. 13+ inches in that ammo you mentioned may be good (I'm guessind EDP stands for Extreme Deep Penetration???), but again, I'd rather use a better known, high quality brand. 115gr is MUCH too light for ANY 9mm with the possible exeption of the Corbon DPX. Maybe.

4. Gunblast is a good website, but remember, it's just an opinion. They tend to prefer lighter bullet weights over there. They also tend to rate fragmenting ammo (Extreme Shock, Glaser Safety Slugs, etc.) highly over there too, while most other authorities involved in real-life street testing (LEO's) and animal testing do not.

Please reconsider this ammo. Get a high quality 147gr.+P

Emrah

I saw some Fiocci 158gr fmj that I am also considering. On Extreme Shock's site, they have many picturea of the many hogs they bavw brought down. I still really want to find a hard cast flat nose in 147+ gr.

Extreme Shock is mall ninja ammo; and a hunting shot is much different than shooting in self-defense.

Buffalo Bore doesn't make a WFNHC in 9mm...they do have some pretty hot 147 jhp, though.

Personally, I'd go with a Hornady XTP in standard pressure; they penetrate deep, expand well, and the non-uber hot load will be easy to do a mag dump controllably.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I'll chime in with the 147 XTP, good as it gets for what you need. Oh and yes you need a bigger caliber! 200 grains @ 1200 FPS sounds right to me. Try shooting that 9 in the air if it's an option. Kill the head if the shot is there.

might want to try some 9mm Winchester Ranger Talon 147gr. SXT HP Ammo
    It is still considered by many the most deadly ammo you can get. It says alot that Winchester will not sell this ammo to the general public,
    look them up on youtube.

You asked about FMJ, I would not use it but federal "american eagle" has a flat point 147 FMJ. I use it for target practice. I would go with a good 147 JHP, like Federal HST or even Double Tap 147+p.

DO NOT try and take a head shot at a hog. I farm pigs, and I have shot allot of them for butcher. Their brain is about the size of a walnut and if you arent at point blank range you have no chance of hitting it. The vitals are all up front so shoot at those front shoulders or into the neck. If you hit them in the head without destroying the brain they will just stand there and look at you! Been there, done that!

Hogs have little or no fear of gunfire, so dont waste ammo trying to scare them away.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Winchester's PDX1 ammo is very similar to the Talons. When the jacket mushrooms out, it exposes a nasty set of talon-like protrusions. I carry the 124gr for bipeds. I am looking for the 147gr though for the better stopping power. And no way I am going to attempt a head shot while in a panic from a screaming hog! I was planning on the neck and shouldera in hopes of hitting an artery or the lungs.

Also, can wild hogs jump?

I think I would want more than a 9mm...

YouTube - Wild Boar Hunting

Links