Double Tap 125 gr. .357 mag out of SP101

This is a discussion on Double Tap 125 gr. .357 mag out of SP101 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fellow shooters, Over the weekend I decided to take my SP101 for a spin and shot some .38 spcl reloads and .357 remingtom JSP for ...

Thread: Double Tap 125 gr. .357 mag out of SP101

Double Tap 125 gr. .357 mag out of SP101

Fellow shooters,

Over the weekend I decided to take my SP101 for a spin and shot some .38 spcl reloads and .357 remingtom JSP for practice. I also shot 10 rounds of my carry load, Double Tap .357 mag 125 gr. Bonded Defense.

Those are certainly a handfull to shoot, stalls next to me stopped shooting to see what kind of cannon I was firing. They were very surprised to see the little 2.25" SP roaring.

However, I got a bit concerned because the primers were completely flat when the spent cases were ejected out of the cilinder.

Any others with experience with these loads in this gun? I understand it is built like a tank but I don't want to over-stress the gun.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by glock45 View Post
    Fellow shooters,

Over the weekend I decided to take my SP101 for a spin and shot some .38 spcl reloads and .357 remingtom JSP for practice. I also shot 10 rounds of my carry load, Double Tap .357 mag 125 gr. Bonded Defense.

Those are certainly a handfull to shoot, stalls next to me stopped shooting to see what kind of cannon I was firing. They were very surprised to see the little 2.25" SP roaring.

However, I got a bit concerned because the primers were completely flat when the spent cases were ejected out of the cilinder.

Any others with experience with these loads in this gun? I understand it is built like a tank but I don't want to over-stress the gun.
    Flat primers are an indication of high pressure, not necessarily excessive pressure. Most of my hot .357 and .45 Colt handloads have flattened primers. Another factor is the softness of the primer cup; not all brands of primer cups are as thick or hard as other brands.

Now if the primer is extruding into the hole in the revolver's recoil shield or a rifle or semi-auto pistol's bolt face, that IS a very sure indication of excessing pressure.

Did the cases eject easily/ If so, you are generally in good shape. Sticking cases are another indication pressures are getting out of hand.

I really doubt (just my personal opinion) that you are going to overstress that pistol. Rugers are among the strongest handguns made. My SuperBlackhawk handles .45 Colt loads that are exceeding .41 Magnum pressures and velocities and some that are right on the heals of .44 Magnum.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I am with majorIK. Many of my magnum reloads show flattened primers, and I have come to except this over the years as normal for these types of loads. Mike McNett runs a first class outfitt and knows how to restore magnum power to magnum cartridges, and do it safetly. I am sure if you still have concerns he will be glad to talk with you. His number is 180035710MM. Mike McNett is the owner operator.
    Last edited by glockman10mm; April 8th, 2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: addendum

Major, I don't see the primer extruding into the revolver's recoil shield.
    Cases do stick envery once in a while what that happens to me with many different loads that are milder.
    I guess I'll shoot a couple of cilinders worth of DT's for SD practice and keep my volume shooting in the .38 and regular .357 flavors. I guess I have a new reloading project: finding the perfect load for my SP... mild enough for a lot of shooting and strong enough for SD training.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The sticking cases could just be some roughness of the cylinder walls.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The sticking cases could just be some roughness of the cylinder walls.
    You beat me to it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I had a similar experience shooting the Double Tap .357 mag 125 grain from my 4" S&W Model 28 at an outdoor range. I cleared out the shooters from a couple of stalls on either side of me.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I won't use ammo that flattens primers. A few more FPS is not worth it. Plain old vanilla magnum is sufficient for my needs.

Look for rings around the casings. If they are there, you will know what I mean. Flattened out primers are fairly normal with hot loads or tight barrels.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Yeah: OW! OW!...OUCH! OUCH!...DAMN!

Links