Can bomb sniffing dogs smell ammo? - Page 2

Can bomb sniffing dogs smell ammo?

This is a discussion on Can bomb sniffing dogs smell ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Datsun40146 The problem here is, that was more than likely a drug dog, not a explosives dog. One dog really cant do ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can bomb sniffing dogs smell ammo?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    The problem here is, that was more than likely a drug dog, not a explosives dog. One dog really cant do all when it comes to drugs and explosives if they did and the dog alerted how would you know if the dog smelled a pound of c4 or a pound of cocaine? The drug dogs could care less if you smelled like explosives.
    I certainly hope not, as they were there specifically to check for explosives...

Seriously, they aren't/weren't drug dogs. I work around bomb dogs all the time, and all of us on the details are armed. How these dogs know not to hit on the tons of ammo we're carrying, I can't say, but I know that they don't.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    With some of the people that I hear about in the news...I'd be more worried about the rental
    Get a rental from Florida and the dogs will probably sniff out the cocaine. Sort of goes along with the "story" that you can't find a $100 bill here that doesn't have coke dust on it.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    $100 bill? In this economy?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I handled a explosives detection dog and IMO there are a lot of variables in play.

The answer is yes but it depends. If the ammo is in a magazine, inserted into a gun, in a pack, in a locker - then probably no. My dog has found firearms mainly in DVRO weapons seizures where the guns were sitting undisturbed. I have a sneaking suspicion that cleaning solvents may be a factor of association for the dog, but I never tested that theory.

The ammo out of the magazine is a K-9 parlor trick. I've used a quarter from my pocket during K-9 demos with 100% success.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

When I was assigned to an airport fire station, I asked the K9 deputies there, they invited me to test it. The dog was able to alert on a single round of ammo, as well as the residue on my boots that I intentionally wore to the indoor range.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I certainly hope not, as they were there specifically to check for explosives...

Seriously, they aren't/weren't drug dogs. I work around bomb dogs all the time, and all of us on the details are armed. How these dogs know not to hit on the tons of ammo we're carrying, I can't say, but I know that they don't.

For the most part dogs will not hit on a person. IE I've been carrying my weapon during bomb dog demos, and asked about it. The dog is trained not to alert on smells coming from people. Otherwise they would end up alerting on any of the cops who were carrying. Which would be distracting in the search for rell explosives.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

I would probably take a quick look in the nooks and crannies just in case, but don't worry about it too much.
    I once had a 9mm in my computer bag that I traveled with. Someone noticed it while it was being scanned. I had to stop, they brought over the cop, etc. I told him that I did quite a bit of shooting and it must have slipped in there and appologised. He laughed and said no problem. Obviosly took the round, wrote it up, etc. It didn't but me on the ** list thank goodness, so no biggy.
    Funny thing is It had to have been in there for the past 5 times I flew too and nobody caught it before.
    oops!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    For the most part dogs will not hit on a person. IE I've been carrying my weapon during bomb dog demos, and asked about it. The dog is trained not to alert on smells coming from people. Otherwise they would end up alerting on any of the cops who were carrying. Which would be distracting in the search for rell explosives.
    Yes and no... the dog wont just grab scents out of the air and alert on them. They need to be directed to the object to be scanned. Be it a person, vehicle, luggage etc.
    Also, people are very rarely scanned for liability reasons. I.E, a patrol dog who seeks drugs will bite to alert. A bomb dog is only a bomb dog and rarely will you see one cross trained. The reason is a bomb dog needs to be much more passive, with a passive style alert such as sitting. With all that said, a jihadist sitting in a vehicle being scanned by a dog, the dog will alert on the entire car, or just the passenger compartment. It is then up to the humans to figure out the best way to deal with the situation. I highly doubt a few rounds of ammunition will cause an alert of a bomb dog, even though he certainly could smell the ammo. Also, general speaking, the propellant used in ammunition has a different scent and make up of the typical explosive device. Dogs that don't train to find ammo probably will not be the least bit interested in those scents.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Between dogs and rentals....what about trading for the wifes car for a day? Maybe less chance of lost ammo there?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    All went good. There were no issues what so ever.

I don't know about BOMB sniffing dogs, but here is a true story about DRUG sniffing dogs. My employer hired drug sniffing dogs to go through the parking lot and find drugs on company property. That is grounds for instant termination. Turns out the dogs also alerted when they sniffed firearms. When the employees were called out for a search of the automobiles, more firearms than drugs were found. Also, firearms on company property are also grounds for instant termination. Druggies and gun carriers both got the axe.

Out
    West

Quote Originally Posted by Out West View Post
    I don't know about BOMB sniffing dogs, but here is a true story about DRUG sniffing dogs. My employer hired drug sniffing dogs to go through the parking lot and find drugs on company property. That is grounds for instant termination. Turns out the dogs also alerted when they sniffed firearms. When the employees were called out for a search of the automobiles, more firearms than drugs were found. Also, firearms on company property are also grounds for instant termination. Druggies and gun carriers both got the axe.

Out
    West
    Moral of the story is with drugs and firearms present, the drug dog finds drugs.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Handgun and Rifle powder have a different chemical makeup than TNT or C4 or Semtex,or ammonium Nitrate,I believe it depends on what a dog has been trained to detect and that depends on where the dog will be used.If I was a dog that liked treats,I'd just point at my handlers gun belt and wait to be rewarded
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    I would probably take a quick look in the nooks and crannies just in case, but don't worry about it too much.
    I once had a 9mm in my computer bag that I traveled with. Someone noticed it while it was being scanned. I had to stop, they brought over the cop, etc. I told him that I did quite a bit of shooting and it must have slipped in there and appologised. He laughed and said no problem. Obviosly took the round, wrote it up, etc. It didn't but me on the ** list thank goodness, so no biggy.
    Funny thing is It had to have been in there for the past 5 times I flew too and nobody caught it before.
    oops!
    Mine was a round of 223 in my pocket,I'm telling the cop I was at the range yesterday,forgot I put it in my pocket,showed him my CHL so he would know I had a squeaky clean background and he just confiscated my bullet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If the dog is trained to sniff out ammo/powder then yes, they can find it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links