Can bomb sniffing dogs smell ammo?

Can bomb sniffing dogs smell ammo?

This is a discussion on Can bomb sniffing dogs smell ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've often wondered this. I'm headed to the Pentagon Saturday for work, and god only knows how many rounds of .22 LR that I've lost ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can bomb sniffing dogs smell ammo?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Can bomb sniffing dogs smell ammo?

I've often wondered this. I'm headed to the Pentagon Saturday for work, and god only knows how many rounds of .22 LR that I've lost in the car/trunk. Anyone know?

Please don't answer with "Well check your car before you go"... I know that already. It's more curiosity then anything and the off chance that I do miss something.

VIP Member
    Generally, no.

I can't tell you how many K9 checkpoints I've gone through with a car-load of guys all armed for bear - literally thousands of rounds of ammo in the vehicle - without the dogs batting the proverbial eye. These dogs work around armed people all the time; unless they are somehow particularly trained to detect ammo (and I've never heard of such a thing, though they may exist), I think you'll be fine.

But check your car. ;)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

It's a great question! The only experience I have had is being "sniffed" at the airport, and sometimes a "patch wipe" in the same clothing and fanny-pak that I carry with. I've never had a problem being stopped or even questioned.

But, you mentioned that you might have "stray" ammo. I honestly am not sure about that, hopefully someone else on the forum will have more knowledge than I on the subject. Good luck!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Pentagon dogs probably not, but I have come across dogs that are used exclusively for schools and on top of drugs they've taught them to detect ammunition and traces, so if the dog came across your locker in a random check and you had worn the coat that was in your locker to the rifle range the dog could tell and the deans would tear your locker apart looking for drugs.

They claimed it worked, I never saw anyone have any trouble with it though.

I have some experience with bomb dogs. I have been through several demos with our local dog Beka. The answer is yes, in fact that is what they give the demo with. One of the officers will pull a round from one of his spare mags, hide it and have the dog find it. At which point the dog is rewarded for finding it.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Generally, no.

I can't tell you how many K9 checkpoints I've gone through with a car-load of guys all armed for bear - literally thousands of rounds of ammo in the vehicle - without the dogs batting the proverbial eye. These dogs work around armed people all the time; unless they are somehow particularly trained to detect ammo (and I've never heard of such a thing, though they may exist), I think you'll be fine.

But check your car. ;)
    The problem here is, that was more than likely a drug dog, not a explosives dog. One dog really cant do all when it comes to drugs and explosives if they did and the dog alerted how would you know if the dog smelled a pound of c4 or a pound of cocaine? The drug dogs could care less if you smelled like explosives.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Pentagon dogs probably not, but I have come across dogs that are used exclusively for schools and on top of drugs they've taught them to detect ammunition and traces, so if the dog came across your locker in a random check and you had worn the coat that was in your locker to the rifle range the dog could tell and the deans would tear your locker apart looking for drugs.

They claimed it worked, I never saw anyone have any trouble with it though.
    My nephew is on his schools shooting team (clays) and the dogs came to school, well his brother had driven him to the range to shoot, and left a box of ammo shotgun shells in the car, my nephew got called out of class and had to explain. It all turned out fine, but the dogs hit on that box of shells in the trunk of the car. Just an FYI

Yes!
    I have personally seen the FDLE bomb dogs hit on a mag of ammo at the Florida Capitol Bld.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Administrator
    Can they? Most certainly. Will they alert on it? Depends on how and who trained them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd rent a car for the pentagon trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    ha, ha, ha, ha...... LMAO.... that may be the best advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    With some of the people that I hear about in the news...I'd be more worried about the rental

VIP Member
    absolutely they can

We've had instances where dogs came to do random searches at schools and alerted on cars, then found loose shotgun shells in the floorboard from weekend of hunting

they are trained as a "bomb" dog they detect explosives...gun powder being one of them

we just added another K9 as a bomb dog, our other 2 are the drug-detecting/dirtbag-tracking/leg-arm-butt-biting variety
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    With some of the people that I hear about in the news...I'd be more worried about the rental
    Take it from a owner of a Rental company DO NOT use a rental to go to the Pentagon. The stories that we know of will make your head spin.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A dog will alert on whatever you train it to. They use dogs to sniff out snakes in Guam.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links