LCP Owners & Bufflo Bore +P

This is a discussion on LCP Owners & Bufflo Bore +P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know the Ruger Manual say's not to use +P ammo and I guess most of you abide by that, and I usually do also. ...

Thread: LCP Owners & Bufflo Bore +P

LCP Owners & Bufflo Bore +P

I know the Ruger Manual say's not to use +P ammo and I guess most of you abide by that, and I usually do also. I just feel better knowing I have the hottest round available in 380ACP since it's not known to be the greatest defensive caliber anyway. I purchased a box of Buffalo Bore + P 90gr J.H.P (1175 fps / 267 FT. LBS) and shot several magazines through my LCP. Yes I could tell a big difference in recoil as it is a pretty hot round for such a little gun. When I field stripped and cleaned the gun. I didn't notice anything unusual or damaged. I already know a steady diet of this ammo in the LCP would not be very good for this little gun. However it functioned flawlessly so I am thinking I might just carry it as my defensive ammo. I understand you use this ammo in the LCP at your own risk. I was just wondering if anyone else uses this in there LCP?

2. Remove Ads

I don't simply because the LCP isn't rated for +P. There are numerous users on the Elsiepea forum that have used it with no ill effects, but with my luck, I wouldn't be one of those users.

I am thinking about buying some for my Kahr P380 since it is rated for +P, but I haven't done so yet.

I carry the BB in my LCP. It feeds and fires well and has the power to get the job done...
    Some people are only alive b/c it's illegal to kill them.

I understand you use this ammo in the LCP at your own risk.
    There, you said it. If you're willing to take the risk, for a slight increase in ballistics, then that's your decision.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I would not do it.

If you wanted a gun that would shoot a hotter round you should have picked one that is rated for it or gone to a 9mm or something that is hotter.

There will be nothing worse than having your gun come apart in your hand, especially if it happens when you really need it to work. Besides Buffalo Bore can't be any fun to shoot out of that size gun.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I would not do it.

If you wanted a gun that would shoot a hotter round you should have picked one that is rated for it or gone to a 9mm or something that is hotter.

There will be nothing worse than having your gun come apart in your hand, especially if it happens when you really need it to work. Besides Buffalo Bore can't be any fun to shoot out of that size gun.
    They don't kick much worse IMO.
    Some people are only alive b/c it's illegal to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I would not do it.

I really doubt that's going to happen. Accelerated wear, yes; blow up the gun? Highly unlikely, even with a steady diet of the stuff.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I have shot BB +p out of my TCP.....brutal recoil, lol.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

A round to consider

Look into Corbon Safety Slugs.
    Here is their .380.

# Caliber: 380 auto.
    # Bullet Wt.: 70gr.
    # Velocity: 1200 fps.
    # Energy: 224 ftlbs.
    # test Barrel Length: 2.5 Inches.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Jim - welcome to the forum!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post
    Look into Corbon Safety Slugs.
    Here is their .380.

# Caliber: 380 auto.
    # Bullet Wt.: 70gr.
    # Velocity: 1200 fps.
    # Energy: 224 ftlbs.
    # test Barrel Length: 2.5 Inches.
    No. This is a frangible round, with sub-standard penetration.

Instead of using BB in your LCP, just use FMJ. Or, alternate JHPs with FMJ. That's the best way to get expansion and penetration in .380, without damaging your pistol.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

Or, alternate JHPs with FMJ. That's the best way to get expansion and penetration in .380, without damaging your pistol.
    I agree, this is the way mine is loaded right now
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Jim - welcome to the forum!
    Thanks for the welcome. Somehow I keep being Google'd right back here time after time, so figured I'd register. Always good information here.
    I have a Ruger LCP, and as of yesterday a Ruger LCR. they both fit in a nice little pouch.
    I found the information about the Corbon "Glaser Safety Slugs", very interesting and powerful, so thought I would share that info here. About the previous comment about it not penetrating very deep. I spoke with Corbon myself and was told that in fact that was intentional. I should have caught the idea in the name of the slug but missed it. Safety Slug is exactly what it is meant to be.
    Here is a quote from their web site.
    "What is the best ammo to use in a self-defense/home defense situation?
    The Glaser Safety Slug provides the best in-home choice, when over penetration is an issue. This bullet will not endanger persons in adjacent rooms or dwellings. It is however very effective on any soft target it hits. A possible self-defense plan might include using a magazine or speed loader of Glaser Safety Slugs in the home; then switching to a higher penetrating load such as Pow’RBall or DPX when you carry outside the home."
    The factory rep said if you want deeper penetraton or to shoot through a car door or window then switch to the Silver tip, which penetrates up to 15 inches.
    Figuring that if I used either gun, it would be in a situation where others would be present, i.e. in a church or shopping mall, and would not want to endanger anyone else. Also if one would compare the ballistics, they too are very favorable.
    Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic data charts. Finally, in one place
    ** Glaser Saftey Slug **
    380 ACP SS 70 244 1200
    ** Pow'r Ball **

** Glaser Saftey Slug **
    .38+P PB 100 294 (1.75"bbl SN) 1150
    .38+P PB 100 516 (5"bbl) 1525

But then again, I am new at this and and am willing to learn. I will be 68 yrs. old soon and haven't had a gun in my hands since Vietnam. (I was a radio repairman, so worked in a depot and then didn't use a gun there either.)

Thanks Again

Jim

Once again - it's been posted here before - there is no SAAMI +P standard for .380, Buffalo Bore's offering notwithstanding. BB is a reputable outfit, and I'm sure they are responsible about pressure levels. But a small, polymer- or alloy-framed handgun doesn't seem the right candidate for higher-pressure rounds. Heaven knows, the guns were not designed around the use of +P ammo because it is undefined and didn't exist when the guns were designed.

With all the small 9mms available these days, I'd rather step up to one of those than try to make a dollar out of fifteen cents with hotter ammo.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links