Hydra shok's

This is a discussion on Hydra shok's within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read quite a bit about this ammunition, is it as good as I've heard. Has anyone here had FTF or FTE problems with it, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydra shok's

Hydra shok's

I've read quite a bit about this ammunition, is it as good as I've heard. Has anyone here had FTF or FTE problems with it, if so what weapon were you using. I just want to know if I should invest, in some or stay with my 147gr silvertips. Also any other suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ENSANE1970; June 2nd, 2006 at 08:20 PM. Reason: misspelled

2. Remove Ads

I've never been a big fan of them I think most of the hype over them was do to their use in law enforcement, it is a bullet so it will punch holes. The silvertips are a good round however the muzzle flash in low light is pretty large. Winchester makes the XST I believe and the remington golden sabers have a much smaller muzzle flash, I carry the Remington GS 147 gr. in my 9's.

Lead Moderator
    I use the low recoil/ low flash hyrashocks in my 1911. seem to work fine. i have used em for years with no problems and never heard of any , even while they were in widespread use by LE.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    I think they are a good round but to some extent old technology.

All I mean by that is that since the long time they have been around, other manufacturers have come out with other options. I these days choose Speer GD's over H-Shocks but if that was all I had, and still do have some left - would not feel overly disadvantaged!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

hydro's are good ammo. it was our issue ammo for years. still carry the hydro +p+ in my 38sp s&w model 60 (issue ammo). never had any problems with the 9mm, 40 cal and 45 acp hydro's.

Quote Originally Posted by ENSANE1970
    I've read quite a bit about this ammunition, is it as good as I've heard. Has anyone here had FTF or FTE problems with it, if so what weapon were you using. I just want to know if I should invest, in some or stay with my 147gr silvertips. Also any other suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

I load my .40 caliber G23 and G27 with Federal Personal Defense Ammo. I find followup shots are very much on target.

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw

I load my .40 caliber G23 and G27 with Federal Personal Defense Ammo. I find followup shots are very much on target.

FastDraw
    "FOLLOWUP SHOTS" are up to the Indian...they have nothing to do with the arrow.

I've used hydrashoks in almost every handgun I have. Never had any problem with them. I prefer the low flash/recoil version personally. If they cycle reliably through whatever you carry then go for it. I'd say any premium ammo that is reliable in your gun is plenty accptable for carry ammunition.

Here is a link to a basllistic study on defensive rounds - features the Federal HST bullet in comparison with Win Ranger t and Rem Goldensaber

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Pierce%20County%20Workshop.pdf

Note that some of the test guns were 1911s.

Federal Tactical Law Enforcement is legal and available to the public. Try Streichers.com or Ammoman.com

Enjoy

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CACCW
    Here is a link to a basllistic study on defensive rounds - features the Federal HST bullet in comparison with Win Ranger t and Rem Goldensaber

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Pierce%20County%20Workshop.pdf

Note that some of the test guns were 1911s.

Federal Tactical Law Enforcement is legal and available to the public. Try Streichers.com or Ammoman.com

Enjoy
    Very interesting. After looking over the stats, it appears the Hydra Shock 230 gr. .45 is a dang good round!

Glad I got some in my Kimber even as I type ;)
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand
    After looking over the stats, it appears the Hydra Shock 230 gr. .45 is a dang good round!
    I dont mean to burst your bubble but those are stats for the HST not the Hydrashok.

Tried Hydroshocks in my Commander but had a FTF every few magazines. Switched to Gold Dots and have had no problems. Different guns have different preferences it seems.

Eric

My G19 feeds everything I've thrown at it. Shot placement is everything, of course, but I carry either Hydras or Gold Dots, usually Hydras. I practice frequently with what I carry, and Hydras are cheap enough and available everywhere. I don't know if the center post design really helps anything, but it used by all kinds of LEA's.
    I'm not smart, here's someone who is:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand
    Very interesting. After looking over the stats, it appears the Hydra Shock 230 gr. .45 is a dang good round!

Glad I got some in my Kimber even as I type ;)
    The HS 230 gr is an excellent round.

Quote Originally Posted by ENSANE1970
    Yes. My Hi-Point CF380 absolutely refuses to feed Hydra-Shoks. Then again, it refuses most JHP's. However, it was/is my 'learnin gun, and has been repeatedly messed up by yours truly, trying something out, before it gets tried on the carry guns....

(My favorite, was learning why not to use a dremel to polish the feed ramp! -- BUT it refused JHP's well before that)

Anyhoo, I rather like the HS'es. My wife carries them in her .357Mag, and loves them too :)

(I don't need to hear about how horrible everyone thinks the hi-point is, by the way, or, whatever 'well of course it doesent' that may be coming my way.)
    Last edited by PgSqlQuery; June 7th, 2006 at 07:38 AM.
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links