Federal nyclad vs. Hornady critical defense 38 Special ammo?

This is a discussion on Federal nyclad vs. Hornady critical defense 38 Special ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone here knows which of these two 38 special loads in better for defense? I know shot placement is the key,but ...

Thread: Federal nyclad vs. Hornady critical defense 38 Special ammo?

I was wondering if anyone here knows which of these two 38 special loads in better for defense? I know shot placement is the key,but want the best performing standard pressure ammo I can get. Have there been any reliability issues with the critical defense loads? For those here who have tried the .38 special critical defense loads,what did you think of them?

I've been wondering how the hornaday critical defense standard pressure ammo has done in tests? Likewise I'd like similar info on th federal nyclads rounds that were recently reintroduced. I ask as I'm awaiting delivery of my 1952 Colt cobra and need a good non +p load for carry for it,thanks for any help guys.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I have a few snubs that I carry non +p Nyclads in. I don't have a lot of experience with the .38 CD. I can see one advantage with the CD over the Nyclads, though. When carried around in Speed Strips, Tuff Strips, or speedloaders the Nylon on the Nyclads gets kind of beat up. The coating and the lead under it is pretty soft by design. The CD is obviously jacketed so it won't have that problem. Also, the hollow point on the Nyclad is pretty wide while the CD is pretty pointed in comparison. The CD should feed from speedloader (strip) to chamber pretty easy. Even though I prefer the Nyclads from experience, I do keep a jacketed load in the spares. Same with the +P versions. I carry several guns with the older 125gr +P Nyclad but the spares for it are all Gold Saber to take advantage of that round's tough construction and rounded shape.

Over the weekend I took my Cobra out for a spin. I shot some of the Hornardy Critical defense ammo and it felt great to me. Seems to reduce the muzzle flip and shot fairly close to point of aim.

I haven't tried the Nyclad, so I can't compare.

I have no experience with the nyclad, but have heard really good things. as far as the CD goes, they have some really good reviews for it online. I was very impressed and curious to try it myself next time i shoot out in the country somewhere. the expansion in every caliber I have seen has been really good. All things considered I decided to keep the CD non +P loads in my smith 642. I also keep the .40's in my G23. But I also read somewhere that they did not Meet the FBI standards. not enough penetration (they require 12 to 15 inches and I think CD was about 10 or 12 inches). But Leo's need rounds that will go through car doors. Im scared about over penetration, which is exactly why I use non +P loads to begin with. the red tip on the end of the bullets assist it through clothing so there isn't as much need for 12-15 inches. (in my opinion)

VIP Member
    Nyclad is a tried and true load, been around for a long, long time. Personally, it is what I carry in my revolver.

VIP Member
    Probably does not matter much, critical defence has a little hotter ballistics values.

testing Hornady 110Gr 38 SP expansion

Through water only the bullet expanded and went through 16 inches of water. Through denim the bullet did not expand and went through 33 inches of water. Check out my test results on this and other ammo at Bullet Expansion Through Denim test

Sponsored Links