Lead or jacketed for practice?

This is a discussion on Lead or jacketed for practice? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking into signing up for a local gun club and after reading the rules it looks like I can only shoot lead bullets and ...

Thread: Lead or jacketed for practice?

Lead or jacketed for practice?

I'm looking into signing up for a local gun club and after reading the rules it looks like I can only shoot lead bullets and not jacketed bullets in their pistol pit. From my understanding the lead is at a minimum, dirtier for the barrel and leaves deposits behind. Is there any 'real' concern with putting 100's of lead bullets down your barrel other than the extra time spent cleaning?

2. Remove Ads

If they are hard cast lead and not driven to hyper velicity, you shouldn't have any problem with leading. I shoot lead by the thousands in my semi-autos and revolvers.

This depends on you, your cleaning techniques, and your firearms. I've shot many thousands of lead bullets through my previously owned revolvers and my 1911s. Those were pretty much made for anything lead or jacketed. Modern pistols (semi-autos) have become a little less tolerant mechanically in order to increase accuracy. Sometimes shooting lead through these takes a toll on the longevity of the pistol with increased pressures, but most modern pistols are designed to handle higher pressures anyway. To what extent, we can only guess since we are not the engineers who designed them. With certain pistols or barrel rifling, lead is not recommended. Might help if you specified what types and brands of pistols you plan on shooting lead bullets out of.
    On another note..........most ranges (at least those I'm familiar with, and in my state) need to comply with environmental regulations these days whether public or private in the ways and means of lead exposure and detriment to the environment. Some rather strict regulations have been imposed as to lay of the land and water run-off, and containment of lead concerning firing ranges, indoor and outdoor. Indoor ranges main concern is ventilation. Outdoor ranges to be more concerned with ground water pollution. I'm just sayin'.....odd about the lead only thing for your club.

I thought it was strange too.

I'm mainly concerned with my Glock 27 and S&W 342PD, as these will be receiving the highest round counts. Otherwise my Beretta 8045 will be getting a workout there periodically as well.

No help on the lead hurting your guns. But the lead only thing sure seems odd in this day and age.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I would be more concerned about finding .40 ammo with a lead bullet. I don't think I've ever seen .40 practice ammo in anything other than copper plate or jacketed.
    Proud NRA member

We have a couple ranges in Delaware that will only let you shoot "Frangible" ammo as it is lead free and does not ricochet well. It will also not pass through a human body if hit COM which removes much of the pass through hazards to other individuals in the area of the shooting. The only problem is this ammo costs about $37.00 a box of 50.

TOF
    M&P's eat lead without a single hiccup and if the load is right are every bit as accurate as hardball at least in my hands.

Cleanup with a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. Let the barrel soak in the liquid 3 to 5 minutes and out it comes. No big deal.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Links