Best rifle ammo considering future availabilty and events.

This is a discussion on Best rifle ammo considering future availabilty and events. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Question to go with my cheap surplus-rifle question and other relevant rifle inquiries: When considering possible or probably future conditions and events, what would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best rifle ammo considering future availabilty and events.

Question to go with my cheap surplus-rifle question and other relevant rifle inquiries: When considering possible or probably future conditions and events, what would be the best rifle ammunition to buy and stock up on, while considering future availability, supply sources and prices? I already have a Ruger Mini-14 to shoot the military .223/5.56mm. How about 30.06 or 30.08 or some for surplus Soviet or Eastern European rifles? How much per round, now, but will it be plentiful or easily available in the future?

Mini-14 is great. Add an AK (7.62x39), and that's it. Then a backup for each if you want.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

You can't go wrong putting up a good supply of 5.56x45, 7.62x51, 7.62x39, and good old .22 LR. Even if you don't have guns chambered in these calibers, in a SHTF situation ammo effectively becomes a coin of the realm - a valuable commodity for bartering.

My second-tier rifle ammo "acquirables" would include .30-06 in any flavor, and .30-30. Don't leave out the handgun rounds - .45 ACP, 9mm, .40 S+W and .38 would be the favorites.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Question to go with my cheap surplus-rifle question and other relevant rifle inquiries: When considering possible or probably future conditions and events, what would be the best rifle ammunition to buy and stock up on, while considering future availability, supply sources and prices? I already have a Ruger Mini-14 to shoot the military .223/5.56mm. How about 30.06 or 30.08 or some for surplus Soviet or Eastern European rifles? How much per round, now, but will it be plentiful or easily available in the future?
    Just a minor correction; there's no such cartridge. It's .308.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

RG AND TKS. .308 it is. I had a sporterized .303 Canadian Enfield rifle, once, but sold it long ago. The .308 and the .30-06 were the two war-surplus rounds found around here for many years, I think, but I wasn't interested in them then...like those old M1 guns that I could have bought for $100, forty or so years ago. My 6.5 Arisaka Jap rifle is too expensive to shoot. I think of buying just ONE good high-powered big accurate long-range rifle with a scope. "Your guns can't go 'BLAMMO!' if you don't have the ammo." Quote: Leon Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You can't go wrong putting up a good supply of 5.56x45, 7.62x51, 7.62x39, and good old .22 LR. Even if you don't have guns chambered in these calibers, in a SHTF situation ammo effectively becomes a coin of the realm - a valuable commodity for bartering.

My second-tier rifle ammo "acquirables" would include .30-06 in any flavor, and .30-30. Don't leave out the handgun rounds - .45 ACP, 9mm, .40 S+W and .38 would be the favorites.
    This is great advice. Saved me a lot of typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I think of buying just ONE good high-powered big accurate long-range rifle with a scope.
    That one rifle could be either a .308 or .30-06.

Long range is not the realm of the 7.62 x 39 or the .30-30.

I would stay away from other "hunting" calibers as they might be harder to find than the current military standard .308 and former standard .30-06.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'll chime in my favorite surplus round of right now.

For cheap surplus shooting 7.62x54R its a rimmed round but when fired out of a good gun is reasonably accurate to 500+yards. (like anything else it depends on the ammo) current prices are still hovering around 100 dollars for 440 round spam cans and it is a hoot to shoot. I have a M-44 carbine that always buys me a clean bench next to me at the range but the kick is moderate. I did the math for what I bought My first gun and 440 rounds of ammo for- 178.50 OTD I could have shot one of my bolt guns 200 times. There is a time and place for my bench and varmint rigs but for going to the range with buddies and playing on the 300 yard gong cheap gun, cheap ammo, iron sights has added a whole new level of fun. When the current surplus ammo dries up it will not cost anymore to shoot than my other "High Power" rifles. On the other hand at .23 a round I can afford a lot of "extra stock"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I chose the 30-06 over the .308 solely because the -06 can handle a heavier bullet. Ballistically, they are very close, the -06 having a slight edge that a deer wouldn't notice. The -06 is an excellent all-purpose round, from varmits (of any kind) to moose.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Given what you're looking for... .308 would be the better choice.

Better long range accuracy than .30-06, capable of handling anything in the lower 48, and surplus ammo is avaialble, and not Garand-specific. FWIW, I just picked up 600 rounds of Portugese surplus for 45 cents a round...its good, NC/B ammo; South African surplus can be found for slightly cheaper, but uses an asphalt sealant that some rifles (like my HK91) dont't like.

There's still some Ishapore Enfields in .308 floating around for fairly cheap; not the best rifle, but I like mine for a trunk gun.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Since you are considering FUTURE events (I am thinking on a 5-20 year basis):

The biggest threat to gun rights is an import ban. Such a ban doesn't need to go through congress; it can be as simple as an executive order from the president (remember the 1989 Bush import ban?).

AK-47s, AK-74's, and their respective ammo (7.62x39 and 5.45x39) are at a huge risk price-wise. They are only cheap due to cheap import prices. The moment Russian ammo imports and AK-47 parts kits are banned, these prices will go through the roof. Add 7.62x54R to this list. Once again, the cost to produce this ammo domestically is very high!

.223/5.56x45 and .308/7.62x51 will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Both are used for hunting (one for varmints, one for medium-large game), and both have large DOMESTIC production capabilities. Add 9mm, .40, .45 (whatever your primary handgun caliber is), and .22LR and I think you will be set for the future.

For barter and trade it is best to know what is most common which may vary from one area to another. Where I am originally from, .308 was very popular. Here in KS I hardly ever see anyone with a .308 and I work at a rifle range. Usually 30-30, 30-06, 243, 270, or one of the magnums like 300 win mag or 7mm Rem Mag.

The common cartridges for the locality is what will be in demand. Darn near everybody has a gun (at least around here) and very few have more than a box of ammo on hand.

Some have grandad's old 30-30 or 30-06 and have never even shot it or bought ammo for it. I talked to a twenty-something guy the other day who had an 8mm mauser as his only gun, and no ammo for it. He didn't even know where to buy any. A lot of good that will do.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member
    I've always been a 300 win mag fan. I spent a lot of time banging around Wyoming and the 300 was a good all round caliber. Prior to getting the 300, I was an 06 guy. Fine caliber. Spending more time, these days, east of the Big Muddy, I've decided the next one will be 308. I shoot and load 308 in an Encore (and that's a little brutal). Need a new long gun. But the caliber is available, effective, accurate and so on. I don't "think" availability would be an issue, any more or less than others.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

With the shortage, we are always looking for range ammo and right now the supply of 5.45 x 39 and 7.62 x 54r seems unlimited. I've seen surplus 91-30 Nagants for around $100 too.

Quote Originally Posted by jdowder View Post
    Since you are considering FUTURE events (I am thinking on a 5-20 year basis):

The biggest threat to gun rights is an import ban. Such a ban doesn't need to go through congress; it can be as simple as an executive order from the president (remember the 1989 Bush import ban?).

AK-47s, AK-74's, and their respective ammo (7.62x39 and 5.45x39) are at a huge risk price-wise. They are only cheap due to cheap import prices. The moment Russian ammo imports and AK-47 parts kits are banned, these prices will go through the roof. Add 7.62x54R to this list. Once again, the cost to produce this ammo domestically is very high!

.223/5.56x45 and .308/7.62x51 will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Both are used for hunting (one for varmints, one for medium-large game), and both have large DOMESTIC production capabilities. Add 9mm, .40, .45 (whatever your primary handgun caliber is), and .22LR and I think you will be set for the future.

This was my way of thinking when I choose 5.56. Mostly because its very common, and there is always the chance you might have to bug out.

Try carrying a case of 1000 rounds around the house and you will see what I'm talking about.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links