Winchester "White Box"

This is a discussion on Winchester "White Box" within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone used the Winchester "white box" ammo I have seen in Wal-Mart? It is so much cheaper than the rest of the ammunition, but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Winchester "White Box"

Bravo3

Winchester "White Box"

Has anyone used the Winchester "white box" ammo I have seen in Wal-Mart? It is so much cheaper than the rest of the ammunition, but it IS Winchester. I wouldn't think that they would sell shabby ammunition.
    Last edited by Administrator; January 21st, 2005 at 10:53 PM.

2. Remove Ads

CHPBill

White Box Ammo

Bravo3, I have used the Winchester "white box" for alot of my range visits or when out plinking and have never had a problem with it. It seems to be good, economical and clean ammunition. I don't normally carry it in any of my weapons when not on the range though. I prefer a tactical load when I may have to use it for defense, but I am sure many do carry it with no problems.

DC Founder

White Box Ammunition

I use the "white box" for most range applications as well. A guy I know has a preference in buying the 50-round white box instead of the 100-round, even if it is a little higher. Although I haven't run a test yet, he says he gets small brass particles from the 100-round boxes that he doesn't get in the 50-round copper rounds. I have found some very fine brass particles, but haven't tried the copper yet. I am carrying Remington Golden Sabers for self defense.

CHPBill

Brass particles

I will check mine a little closer after my range trip this weekend. I have never noticed any more than normal.

CHPBill

I did check after visiting the range

and you *may* be right. I did in fact find some very small brass. Probably not enough to be a problem, but with oil, powder residue and dirt I bet it could become a problem if you shot very much of it between cleanings. Since I clean mine meticulously after shooting I am not going to worry too much about it. But I will keep my eye on it.

DC Founder

Brass Particles

Yeah, Bill, I don't really think there are enough to become a problem under normal circumstances and I am not planning on using them for defense use so if they did cause a problem it would not become a real issue. It does make me wonder what their origin is, though. Are they particles left over from the manufacture of the case or a something else? I would worry more about them indicating a lack of quality assurance on Winchester's part. It is really hard to tell because the case, primer and bullet are all brass....

Winchester White Box

Since December 2003, I've used the good ole Wal Mart Winchester cheapies in my Beretta 96 9mm....I've fired close to 12,000 rounds of it .....hadn't had a problem yet....however, just bought a Kimber Eclipse Pro II so I'll let ya know how the .45 ammo does.

JT
    Has anybody else noticed that the Winchester White 100 round boxes of 9mm usually have 101 rounds?

Ive used it mostly for plinking or when i run out of hand loads..

Other Day when i ran out of handloads i bought a box at the range shot it and was more like shooting a shot gun.
    Went back to range next day with reloads and was dead on again maybe i got a funky batch of 9mm but wasnt happy.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I use the WWB on a regular basis at the range in 9mm .40 & .38 and have not had any issues. I carry Remington Golden Sabers for self defense.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by JT
    Has anybody else noticed that the Winchester White 100 round boxes of 9mm usually have 101 rounds?
    I haven't, JT, are there consistently 101 rounds or was it just a mistake made in boxing them? I have bought alot of them in 9mm but never noticed the extra one.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Tc300mag1
    Ive used it mostly for plinking or when i run out of hand loads..

Other Day when i ran out of handloads i bought a box at the range shot it and was more like shooting a shot gun.
    Went back to range next day with reloads and was dead on again maybe i got a funky batch of 9mm but wasnt happy.
    My bet would be a funky batch. I have had virtually no problems with any of the whitebox ammo other than maybe 2 in 10,000 that failed to fire. Any inaccuracy I have noticed in them has been me, not the ammo. For carry I use Golden Sabers.

JT
    Originally posted by Bumper
    I haven't, JT, are there consistently 101 rounds or was it just a mistake made in boxing them? I have bought alot of them in 9mm but never noticed the extra one.
    I have had it happen 3 or 4 times at least. Iíve talked to a couple of other guys who said the same thing. The only reason I noticed is I rotate my ammo when I buy some to shoot. I reboxed the Winchester to store it better, and usually had an extra round. Maybe their quality control is to add one, to reduce the risk of being short.

I also use it alot in .45, no problems at all. :)

Works great in 45 for practice ammo!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links