9mm SD ammo for Kahr CW9

9mm SD ammo for Kahr CW9

This is a discussion on 9mm SD ammo for Kahr CW9 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought some DPX +P 115gr JHP for self defense carry in my Kahr CW9. Decided to test it yesterday. I found that it doesn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm SD ammo for Kahr CW9

9mm SD ammo for Kahr CW9

I bought some DPX +P 115gr JHP for self defense carry in my Kahr CW9. Decided to test it yesterday.

I found that it doesn't hit point of aim. It hits 4 to 6 inches below point of aim.

Walmart White Box 115gr FMJ hits point of aim.

Anyone else discover that any certain SD round doesn't work well in their Kahr (specifically CW9 if possible, but interested in any Kahr reports)?

I'm thinking of getting some Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP.
    My LGS doesn't carry every brand.

I want something that feeds properly too. I found on the DPX the first round in the magazine loading into an empty (not after firing a previous magazine full), just loading the gun in preparation to carry or put on the night stand, ... the first round of DPX will not chamber, on first rack of the slide. It's nose will wedge straight forward and not go up the ramp. I have to sling shot the slide a 2nd time to get it to feed the round up the ramp. Doesn't do this with FMJ.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I have a Kahr MK9, PM9 and P380. I've used Speer Gold Dots in all three without any issues at all. Unfortunately, I haven't had much success with any Corbon JHP in all three.

When choosing self defense ammo for my Kahr CW9 I read a lot of ammo reviews and shot a number of different loads. My studies indicated that Corbon DPX would be the best, but it would not feed reliably in my CW9. My studies and tests indicated that Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P would be the second best, and it feeds flawlessly in my CW9, so that is what I use.

Recently I've seen some reviews of Federal HST that look promising, so if I were doing it again today I'd include it in my investigation.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Every gun is different. What works in my Kahr CW9 might well jam yours silly. That said ...

In my CW9, I have found the DoubleTap JHP Bonded Defense (Speer Gold Dot bullet) 124gr +P cartridge to work exceptionally well. It's reliable, powerful and accurate. I have yet to see it in any gun store, though you can order it from their web site as well as Midway USA. You should have plenty in stock yourself, anyway, and not be shooting box to box as you buy them, so it shouldn't be a problem to order them via mail.

Actually, the CW9 happens to be one of the most tolerant pistols I have, in terms of which cartridges it'll cycle without problems.

If you're looking for a cartridge that seems to have a generally excellent reputation for feed tolerance in pistols, consider the Remington Golden Saber. There are very few guns I have seen this one fail to work with. And it's generally available in most gun stores.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My CW9 shoots the Hornady CD ammo very well. It also likes the Cor-Bon 125 gr.+P load. No problems with either so I stopped looking any further. I did buy a box of Gold Dots but haven't had a need to try them yet.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll pick up some Speer Gold Dot to start with.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Typically, lighter/faster rounds shoot low with respect to POA, so my knee-jerk response is to try a heavier round.

However - the difference between your DPX +P and other 115 gr rounds is less than 100 ft/sec, which doesn't explain the dramatically lower point of impact. And in practical terms, the Cor-Bon 115 +P in my CW9 print maybe an inch or two lower than the Federal 9BP and Winchester Silvertip rounds I also use in that gun. And the Cor-Bon 115 +P clocks 100 ft/sec faster than the DPX +P, although I believe those velocities are for 4" barrels.

Since placement is ultimately more important than what you hit 'em with, I would experiment with other 115 and 124 grain rounds in normal as well as +P persuasions, to see what gets closer to your POA. Have a good shooter observe as you shoot, too, just to make sure you aren't mashing the trigger or something similar.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Speer Gold Dot & Hornady TAP both work great (both at 115 & 124)...blazer brass & WWB for plinking. I did have problems with Wolf ammo..never again will I get the Wolf.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I tried out a number of defensive ammo loads in my Kahr P9, and settled on the 124 grain Gold Dots, as they were reliable and the most accurate (147 grain Gold Dots came in second).

ccw9mm mentioned the Remington Golden Sabers. I found good reviews of them, but when I tested them they had the worst muzzle flash. Like shooting fireworks out of a gun. I felt that in low light they'd do a better job then most at (a) attracting attention to my exact location, and (b) blinding me -- both of which are bad things. The muzzle flash is the main reason I decided to avoid this ammo.

conversely the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P ammo had low muzzle flash among the various loads I tried.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

CMR
    A friend of mine has a CW9 and he uses Gold Dot Short Barrel 9mm ammo in it.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I bought some DPX +P 115gr JHP for self defense carry in my Kahr CW9. Decided to test it yesterday.

I found that it doesn't hit point of aim. It hits 4 to 6 inches below point of aim.

Walmart White Box 115gr FMJ hits point of aim.

Anyone else discover that any certain SD round doesn't work well in their Kahr (specifically CW9 if possible, but interested in any Kahr reports)?

My LGS doesn't carry every brand.

I want something that feeds properly too. I found on the DPX the first round in the magazine loading into an empty (not after firing a previous magazine full), just loading the gun in preparation to carry or put on the night stand, ... the first round of DPX will not chamber, on first rack of the slide. It's nose will wedge straight forward and not go up the ramp. I have to sling shot the slide a 2nd time to get it to feed the round up the ramp. Doesn't do this with FMJ.

Switch to a heavier round. Heavy bullets impact higher than light (until they start falling further down range) because they stay in the barrel longer and it has a chance to rise a hair more than with the fast bullets before they exit.

I like both Federal HST 124+p and Win SXT 124+p in mine. Kahr does not recommend +p+ in its guns, but I have also had good results with Win SXT 127 +p+

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I'm no expert but it just sounds like that handgun doesn't like that particular ammo. Happens a lot, with all kinds of handguns. I just bought some Speer GD 124 gr, planning to use for SD once I run a bunch through my SW 3913. I found that while all types of ammo feed in my gun, the 115 gr doesn't shoot to point of aim while 124 does...problem is, it's expensive to run 100 - 200 rds of defense ammo through a pistol just to make sure it works, with it being about $22 for a box of 20...
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

I carry Gold Dot 124gr.+P in my Kahr CW9 and have never had an issue. It does hit a bit lower than 115gr. FMJ though, however, it hits lower out of my G19 too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links